Page 62 of 78 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    i expect this to be like 4-6 comics:

-Absolute Batman, Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo

-Absolute Batman & Robin, Joshua Williamson & Jamal Campbell

-Absolute Batman & Superman, Scott Snyder & Dan Mora

-Absolute Harley Quinn, James Tynion IV & Jorge Jimenez (I dunno, wanted to speculate an actual interesting roster)

-Absolute Joker, Matthew Rosenberg & Andrea Sorrentino/Giuseppe Camuncoli

Would be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally surprised of the contrary happening.
    Okay I get you're worried but the constant fearmongering that its going to be a Batman-fest has gotten annoying.

Can we at least wait until the titles are announced before we complain about Batman overtaking everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Okay I get you're worried but the constant fearmongering that its going to be a Batman-fest has gotten annoying.

Can we at least wait until the titles are announced before we complain about Batman overtaking everything?
    Fair enough, but I don't think current DC has earned trusting otherwise.

I'll highly hope I'm wrong, tho.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Fair enough, but I don't think current DC has earned trusting otherwise.

I'll highly hope I'm wrong, tho.
    You don't have to trust them. Its more of an optimism thing. Could be bad, but it could also be good, who knows but at least the latter brings some positivity.

Better to hope it might turn out well than always being a pessimist.

Fantastic Member

i expect this to be like 4-6 comics:

-Absolute Batman, Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo

-Absolute Batman & Robin, Joshua Williamson & Jamal Campbell

-Absolute Batman & Superman, Scott Snyder & Dan Mora

-Absolute Harley Quinn, James Tynion IV & Jorge Jimenez (I dunno, wanted to speculate an actual interesting roster)

-Absolute Joker, Matthew Rosenberg & Andrea Sorrentino/Giuseppe Camuncoli

Would be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally surprised of the contrary happening.
    More like Absolute Batman & Superman, the Boy Wonder.

DC won't risk implying that Superman is on equal terms with Batman. Batman would be the lead with Superman as the bumbling sidekick.

You don't have to trust them. Its more of an optimism thing. Could be bad, but it could also be good, who knows but at least the latter brings some positivity.

Better to hope it might turn out well than always being a pessimist.
    Again, fair enough. Alltho, I prefer to call it realism based on elseworlds, Black Label, what the DC line is turning into, and Snyder helming the project. Better to not rise the expectations and hype and be prepared for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    More like Absolute Batman & Superman, the Boy Wonder.

DC won't risk implying that Superman is on equal terms with Batman. Batman would be the lead with Superman as the bumbling sidekick.
    No, no, you don't get it. Number 1 of Absolute Batman & Superman starts with Superman being on his first tenure as superhero and acting as an ******* to everyone. He's so bad batman has to come and correct him and the rest of the series is about Batman teaching Superman how to be a good superhero and a good person like him. Maybe we end up having Kara at some point as potential Bruce's love interest.
    Last edited by Garrac; 04-18-2024 at 03:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If we are doing a REAL clean slate to the very beginning-

How long do we have to wait for say Dick Grayson to become Robin? Form the Teen Titans with Donna and Wally? Form the Teen Titans with Bumblebee and Herald? Form the Teen Titans with Cyborg and Beast Boy?

How long are we to wait on Tim Drake, Jason, Harley, Cassandra Cain to show up?
    I think one big problem with a clean slate is that you would have wipe out several legacy characters, that can actually sell comics, and than would have either rush to get to the point were they are introduced, or suffer not being able to sell comcis with them for years.

I think the furthest you could go back with a reboot of the main continuity would be somewhere in the Bronze age.

It is not like you need to wait same amount of time to introduce these characters. For example, ultimate Venom appeared after 2 or 3 years of USM, not after 20 like in main continuity.

Incredible Member

I think it's important to note that an "ultimate" universe isn't necesarily a redo of what's come before. i say this because some people are like "and how much time will we have wait untilX appears?" and maybe they do a complete overhaul of the characters and their relationships.

The original Ultiamte Spider-Man, arguably the msot faithful to the OG in that line, still had very different versions of Norman Osborn, Venom, Carnage... Peter's relationship with Gwen Stacy was very different too.

Current Ultimate has a Peter Parker that has jsut started being Spider-Man despite being married and with kids, meanwhile their Iron Man is a teenaged Tony Stark...

I’m not very excited about a new Ultimate DC.
    I mean, it could be very cool, but I think DC desperately NEEDS to sort out their main continuity.
    They need to ditch the “everything happened” mess and define the key moments in their characters lives that can be built upon.
    Without another crisis.
    They need to clearly define what counts and what doesn’t and publish new versions of those 2-page character introductions from Infinite Crisis. It’s bizarre to keep having things like current Titans that at the same time that it’s heavily influenced by NTT, it uses conflicting New 52 origins for its characters. These things don’t match. I feel like I barely know who these characters are anymore.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It is not like you need to wait same amount of time to introduce these characters. For example, ultimate Venom appeared after 2 or 3 years of USM, not after 20 like in main continuity.
    Yeah but that leads for example to stuff that you wuld have only two years to tell stories with Batman before Robin, and considering how decompressed comics these days are that's not much.

And when you don't want a decade of so for Robin to become Nightwing you will have also not have much time with Dick as Robin.

Same goes btw. also for villains, I mean how many years would you need to just re-establish the core Batmans Rogues gallery, if you want to do it properly?
    Last edited by Aahz; 04-18-2024 at 05:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think one big problem with a clean slate is that you would have wipe out several legacy characters, that can actually sell comics, and than would have either rush to get to the point were they are introduced, or suffer not being able to sell comcis with them for years.

I think the furthest you could go back with a reboot of the main continuity would be somewhere in the Bronze age.
    To be fair, clean slate doesn't mean some characters need to start from the very beginning. In case with Batman, they can always choose DCAMU/DCU approach, where he's already established, so certain Bat-Family characters can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    To be fair, clean slate doesn't mean some characters need to start from the very beginning. In case with Batman, they can always choose DCAMU/DCU approach, where he's already established, so certain Bat-Family characters can be used.
    Bad idea imo. The problem with the New 52 was they started from scratch with some characters while others had history. They should not make the same mistake here, everyone starts off from scratch with no history. Also an Absolute Batman has to differentiate himself from mainline Batman and the easiest way to do that is to not saddle him with an enormous family the way Earth 0 Batman is. I wouldn’t even have Dick at first, just Bruce and Alfred.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I take most of these Batman comments to be tongue-in-cheek rather than "fear-mongering" and it's really more a criticism of current DC than whatever Absolute DC will be. Sorry it annoys you, but it's just a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Yeah but that leads for example to stuff that you wuld have only two years to tell stories with Batman before Robin, and considering how decompressed comics these days are that's not much.

And when you don't want a decade of so for Robin to become Nightwing you will have also not have much time with Dick as Robin.

Same goes btw. also for villains, I mean how many years would you need to just re-establish the core Batmans Rogues gallery, if you want to do it properly?
    It is not like there is a hard rule. If writer feels like it he can introduce Robin in first issue, or 50 issues later, or never. Same for villains.

We laughed, but Marvel brought back the Ultimate universe with Hickman writing Spider-Man, which is the current sales leader, but we also got Ultima Black Panther, and Ultimate X-Men which is a "manga".