Page 68 of 79 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1174
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Good for Flash and Titans
    I think #10 is kind of a tie-in. Waller was mentionated on its solicitude

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    I admit up front that what I'm about to share might be completely false, so take it with a grain of salt. It's some fun stuff my comic book retailer shared with me, stuff he heard from people he knows who know other people at DC. You know how that goes...

From his "sources:"

- Rich Johnston's comments that Absolute DC has a lot to do with the looming copyright expiration is true. This is DC's preparation for a long-term solution to the problem of no longer solely owning all versions of their characters.

- The "Absolute Earth" line (possibly referred to as "Earth-A" to avoid conflict with the countless numbered universes) will not line up with the plans that James Gunn has for DC on film, whereas "DC All In" will. Apparently, "All In" refers to synergy among various media.

- Absolute DC books will be limited to solo characters for a time and will radically reimagine some of them. That's not my choice of words, it's the word my comic guy said was used. Johnston used similarly strong wording in his story.

- Because the intent is to develop a new universe that would more easily exist in light of expired copyrights, expect changes in characters' ethnicity, sexual identity, and powers.

- Green Lantern and Flash will be among those most changed from the versions we know today. Think the SA approach to those same characters but perhaps as radically different as Tangent.

- First books released include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and the debut of new characters or old characters repurposed for the new universe.

- As Johnston said, Waid is involved but so too are John Ridley, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Gail Simone, Tom King, Tom Taylor, and Grant Morrison.

- Superman will likely receive a new ethnic background, with Coates adapting his Superman film ideas for the Earth-A version of the character.

- Wonder Woman's origin will be heavily tweaked, rooted in Native American mythology instead of Greek.

- Bruce Wayne will likely be of mixed heritage and will possibly also be gay or bisexual.

- The buildup to the Justice League will take a while, perhaps months or even a year's worth of stories.

- Grant Morrison is involved in some way with the Wonder Woman revamp, possibly writing and approaching the character the way he did Superman in the New 52.

My thoughts:

Personally, none of this interests me in the slightest. If true, though, it's not surprising. They will retain trademarks but not copyrights, meaning they'll have to get very creative to distinguish their versions of the DC heroes from those that will likely start appearing in less than a decade. I have no interest in what will less "Ultimate DC" and more of a radical reimagining, but I understand why DC would go that route.
    Sounds like something from 4chan.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I pointed this out on the Superman thread: If this is really about the public domain issue, then it would just be easier to change the secret identities. Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are the versions that would become public domain. In order to keep the "official" versions, they would have to make them other than those two. Things like race and sexuality wouldn't change that. This wouldn't really avoid the public domain issue. That's what makes this kind of sus.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I pointed this out on the Superman thread: If this is really about the public domain issue, then it would just be easier to change the secret identities. Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are the versions that would become public domain. In order to keep the "official" versions, they would have to make them other than those two. Things like race and sexuality wouldn't change that. This wouldn't really avoid the public domain issue. That's what makes this kind of sus.
    Well, they were already testing the waters with Jon + Damian becoming Batman is once again being pushed as his definitive future, so, who knows.

All this because Superman who just jumps and Batman with purple gloves is in the public domain?

I think a lot of it also has to do with the secret identities. They don't just own Superman and Batman, they own Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. And this could also be preparing for the future. Sooner or later all versions of both characters will become public domain. Superman could fly by 1943 so you wouldn't have to wait that long before you got something that looks closer to what people recognize.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    All this because Superman who just jumps and Batman with purple gloves is in the public domain?
    DC's characters are still fairly recognizable even in their first appearances, and a lot iconography associated them will also begin rapidly entering public domain soon after them (Jimmy, Robin, Joker, Lex, the Bat-mobile, etc).

And that's before getting to other DC characters who will enter PD also and also make big use of public domain concepts already (WW, Shazam, Aquaman). So not much stopping someone if they wanted to do their own public domain DC Universe.

So you will exchange what everyone knows for something that no one knows. And leave the one that everyone knows free for someone else? Does not make sense.
    DC already knows what to do. Create new elements that are closely linked to the popular vision of the character. Damian is an example of this, Jon if Bendis hadn't messed up everything could be this.

I can't wait for people to read my public domain Jay Garrick/Alan Scott team up book 15 years from now!
    Assassinate Putin!

mad-max-tom-hardy.jpg

yeah no mention of Scott Snyder despite being a THE leading director of Absolute, a mention of Coates Superman (like who remember that?), bunch of race/gender/sexuality swap that doesn't affect their PD & "Public domain" fear mongering despite it not changing anything about the modern telling of superman and batman

this a 4chan bait nothing else it someone just regurgitating a DC 5g plan

Well, they were already testing the waters with Jon + Damian becoming Batman is once again being pushed as his definitive future, so, who knows.
    While Tom King back-up has been fun and all i wouldn't really call it testing the water as Damian not even batman in that story and is more just doing Super son just Trinity edition

Tom King has already commented that he's doing those back-ups out of pure fun. On one of his interview he admitted one of his goals was to create a funny cómic that his daughter could enjoy, very far from any public domain issues.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlligatorSky View Post
    Blue Beetle #11 looks like it could be the final issue? Weird number to end on if so.

In any case:
    Sinister Sons ending with #6
    The Penguin ending with #12
    Green Lantern: War Journal ending with #12 (August)
    I think that was ALWAYS the case. PKJ was always going to do 12 issues.

That's odd. Didn't Adams and PKJ previously comment on doing a crossover between the two GL titles.
    I want to say yes but I think that was them just talking.

Interesting that both Primer and Batman, Robin & Howard are going to be doing their new volumes in single issues first instead of OGN like their initial volumes.
    Stuff like this is why they are in the hole that they are in.

No way I would do single issues of these books.

Am I to believe these two KID titles would get more orders than the now axed Blue Beetle or Tim Drake? I would think they would get LESS.

Man, this is all a bit underwhelming. Absolute Power doesn’t capture my interest at all. I hate this depiction of Waller with a passion.
    It's an ugly look for your first company wide(ish) event with a black person as the center and she's the main villain.

And would she even really do something like this? I think if Waller would go after heroes and villains alike it wouldn't be like this. She would be as sneaky as she could be.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time we saw J'onn J'onzz at anything? Seems like ages ago

The ”scoop” has to be BS because it’s just a mixed up 5G.

In 5G they planned to have an LGBTQ Superman, an African American Batman, and an Indigenous Wonder Woman. Now this rumor about Earth A is saying there will be a black Superman, LGBTQ Batman, and a Native American Wonder Woman.

DC has been pretty devoid of fresh ideas lately but that would be ridiculous.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-19-2024 at 04:31 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time we saw J'onn J'onzz at anything? Seems like ages ago
    He was in Beast World, barely, and I want to say he was in Knight Terrors before that.