Page 60 of 77 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scot...medium=twitter
    DC All-In is the name for the DC Comics publishing imperative across the DC Comics line intended to launch this October/November and will follow the current Dawn Of DC publishing imperative, intended as a refresher after lockdown and major changes in executives and editors at DC Comics.

As part of that, Absolute Comics will be a line of radically reworked versions of well-known DC Comics characters, from major comics creators, in the fashion of Marvel's Ultimate line, separate in continuity from the rest of DC, but sharing its own internal continuity between the books, unlike Elseworlds, All-Star, or Black Label books. However, unlike the Ultimate line, there is intended from the get-go to be some "bleed through" so that the Absolute Comics line will be in the same multiverse as the standard DC continuity, suggesting awareness of each other, maybe competition or even crossover between them in years to come. It's all part of the plan.

This is not a relaunch or a reboot. DC All-In will continue the continuity of what DC Rebirth did with the New 52, as well as where Dawn Of DC took it. Absolute Comics is a new shared universe from major comics talents, with a hands off approach from showrunner Scott Snyder. I do not know the creative teams. But yes, I presume Scott Snyder will write at least one. Yes, Mark Waid, who is doing Absolute Power, is a natural. And yes, Ram V is coming off Detective Comics just at the time that Absolute Comics and DC All-In hits, so I would look to him, too. But these are just guesses. There are some, like Donny Cates, who were previously attached, but for one reason or another, it didn't work out. But the biggest names, I am sure, are ones I cannot conceive of yet.
    Ok so it is an alternate universe set on another Earth, not set on Earth 0.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scot...medium=twitter

Ok so it is an alternate universe set on another Earth, not set on Earth 0.
    thats good to hear. My heart sank when it was insinuated that it may just be regular continuity stories.

Extraordinary Member

Will be interesting to see what the plan is because there will be a balancing act here between making readers thing the alternate earth's stories "matter" vs. not cannibalizing readership on the main line.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Will be interesting to see what the plan is because there will be a balancing act here between making readers thing the alternate earth's stories "matter" vs. not cannibalizing readership on the main line.
    My guess is that they're hoping to do something akin to the original Ultimate: Get a few years of higher sales with the "cool new kids" while the main line weakens (is not like the sales are that impressive right now) and then eventually let it slowly die and go back to the main stuff (perhaps in conjunection with Gunn's verse getting some actual momentum?).

So DC All-In is the initiative post Absolute Power while Absolute Comics will be Ultimate DC?

[url]As part of that, Absolute Comics will be a line of radically reworked versions of well-known DC Comics characters, from major comics creators
    it's going to be Scott Snyder writing 6 Batman titles, isn't it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    it's going to be Scott Snyder writing 6 Batman titles, isn't it.
    He’s trying to get paid and what character does that

New 52 Batman basically was Snyder doing Ultimate Batman and he also already did JL. He’s definitely doing a flagship book though which has two obvious choices in Superman and Wonder Woman. My guess is he’s doing Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    He’s trying to get paid and what character does that
    i don't even remember when was the last time DC published a good Batman comic... One hundred years ago?... It feels... so far...

I don't read Marvel so I have no idea how Ultimate went, but I still remain disinterested in alternate universe lines and wish they would just give writers more flexibility to tell stories in the main line not connected to current events or set in different eras.

Comics remain a very limited medium almost by nature, so one of their few strengths for the Big 2 to me is their long-running history.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    i don't even remember when was the last time DC published a good Batman comic... One hundred years ago?... It feels... so far...
    Good or not they sell strong and make the bulk of DC comics sales. So if you want the biggest paycheck you write a bat title.

Extraordinary Member

New 52 Batman basically was Snyder doing Ultimate Batman and he also already did JL. He’s definitely doing a flagship book though which has two obvious choices in Superman and Wonder Woman. My guess is he’s doing Superman.
    He did already to that Superman book with Jim Lee so maybe it'll be WW this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    He did already to that Superman book with Jim Lee so maybe it'll be WW this time around.
    He told a Superman story but he didn’t create a Superman from the ground up. Much greater degree of freedom here. Technically he also did a WW story with Death Metal (in his opinion that was a WW story anyway), so he’s worked on both but he’s never done a run on either.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Not excited about Absolute DC considering the state of mainline DC comics in last few decades and Snyder helming it.

Black Label is like 70% Bat-titles, Batman is the only one actually getting Elseworlds, not to mention most of the ongoings being about Batman characters.

Snyder loves Batman but he has been really bad any time he has tried to write other DC characters.

Maybe Absolute DC will surprise me by not being absolute dumpster fire.
    I'm with you. I loathe Snyder's work, especially the garbage he churned out involving the Multiverse. It was dreadful and further damaged and complicated an already messy continuity situation, one that had been addressed well by Johns in Doomsday Clock.

I also agree that DC's output has been largely abysmal since the early 2000s. DiDio and Harras did a lot of damage that will likely never be repaired, especially to Superman and his role in the DCU.

The only hope I have is that, like the original Ultimate Marvel, DC Absolute will somehow end up being the place for faithful and iconic version of DC characters. The current DCU is worse than the MCU was in the early 2000s, but a fresh start might help across the board. I won't be reading until I see who's involved, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    My guess is that they're hoping to do something akin to the original Ultimate: Get a few years of higher sales with the "cool new kids" while the main line weakens (is not like the sales are that impressive right now) and then eventually let it slowly die and go back to the main stuff (perhaps in conjunection with Gunn's verse getting some actual momentum?).
    With how abysmal sales currently are and how generally unexciting DC has been in recent years I would actually be fine with the Absolute universe becoming the new Prime Earth.

It could be a chance to do Post-Crisis and New 52 right. No confusing continuity carrying over from before the big event, creative freedom so the stories aren’t heavily mandated by editorial, they don’t have to try to clutter all DC history into one earth.