Page 45 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If Jon is actually in this I expect it will be a time displaced version of his kid self to fit in age wise with the rest. Adams writing Jon will be the closest the deage Jon movement will be to getting what they want.
    Like I've been saying, there's been multiple solutions to the Jon age up problem, it's up to DC to just choose one and actually do it. You've heard my House of Brainiac/Convergence theory, a time displaced Jon from before the age up is another.

He's made at least one appearance before. I don't think it's the first time there's been two different versions of the same character from different universes (or timelines) existing at the same time. Isn't that the case with Power Girl and Supergirl? What's another complication to the Superfam?

I've noticed Popverse published two articles recently:

Is DC's Justice League returning? Absolute Power tie-in hints at the return of the Big Seven (or a Seven)

Is DC creating a Suicide Squad version of the Justice League for the Absolute Power event?

Seems like Popverse is hinting DC is doing some kind of evil Justice League during Absolute Power. I'm not sure if it's meant to be a new status quo or just for the event.
    Last edited by Leancarp900; 03-25-2024 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Like I've been saying, there's been multiple solutions to the Jon age up problem, it's up to DC to just choose one and actually do it. You've heard my House of Brainiac/Convergence theory, a time displaced Jon from before the age up is another.

He's made at least one appearance before. I don't think it's the first time there's been two different versions of the same character from different universes (or timelines) existing at the same time. Isn't that the case with Power Girl and Supergirl? What's another complication to the Superfam?
    The Superfamily is too big, the last thing we need is two Jons. If they’re actually going to do this I see it as the first steps towards getting rid of adult Jon. Which would be fine with me at this point, better to scrap everything Taylor did and start over. Better give Conner a new code name though, we do not need two Superboys.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    He definitely will. He even doesn't like Jon's age up, and that's pretty rare to see someone admit it among writers. And in this case, he clearly prefers writing them in the age they were in his Flash run. He seems to be strictly against aging kids up.
    It doesn’t matter what they are against it’s about what they are allowed to do

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Aren't the West kids supposed to be in their teens though?
    Their sped up aging makes no sense and would be terrifying for a child even if their minds kept up

Jon should have never been aged up. I'm aware that we talked about this topic over and over again, but I will never understand how this was even allowed by the editorial. It did nothing for his character, and made Conner's situation worse. The whole reason why Jon was so well received by fans was because he was an adorable little kid. There is honestly no reason to keep him aged up, just find an excuse to make him 3–4 years younger and pretend everything else never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Jon should have never been aged up. I'm aware that we talked about this topic over and over again, but I will never understand how this was even allowed by the editorial. It did nothing for his character, and made Conner's situation worse. The whole reason why Jon was so well received by fans was because he was an adorable little kid. There is honestly no reason to keep him aged up, just find an excuse to make him 3–4 years younger and pretend everything else never happened.
    Editorial were the ones who wanted it. The plan was for Jon to become Superman as part of 5G. When they scrapped 5G it left Jon without a purpose. They tried making him co-Superman but Taylor drove that into the ditch and killed all the potential. So now like the rest of the Future State crew, Jon is merely existing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Amazing Member

I say just de-age and ignore this storyline. If there are fans off is just add it to your head cannon. Trying to up with a convulutted excuse to have both only makes it more complicated. The fans of this should just suck it up. Others had to when changes were made to their favorite characters.

While well liked Super Sons was unlikely to become more important than Superman's regular title or Action. So you know, third book in a franchise that isn't the main DC's franchise anymore anyway. So in grand scheme of things they wouldn't really matter. On the other hand they would have been pretty much the main characters of the 5G initiative, or at least thats the impression I got. So I can see people in charge thinking that they got this nice little concept working, lets now try to make it into a bigger deal. And well, had it worked I think both characters would have been elevated to higher status even if eventually entire 5G thing would be rolled back.

Main problem really is that once Didio was out and 5G aborted nobody had the guts to revert Jon's age. On the contrary they double down on it by giving him to one of their main writers and making him gay made things even worse.

I'm really not a fan of time displaced characters, characters sharing same codename or there being two versions of the same characters active at the same time. On the other hand, if editors are afraid of just retconing Jon's age up and sexuality then that is probably the best way to get out of this mess. Maybe few years later older Jon will even get a heroic death and we'll finally be able to move on.

Astonishing Member

Jon didn't really have a chance to get his de-age, because 5G wasn't completely abandoned, it was just repurposed into Future State, so nobody would retire the old guard and the rest of legacies, and at the same time they would have their diverse Justice League line-up. I guess they just didn't expect that initiative would flop so hard.
    What's happening now is another question, though. I'm really curious what's their mindset about Jon now. They clearly have no idea what to do with him, Superman writers barely use him, but still nobody comes up with some decision.

I don't see them aging down Jon at this point that they have already pretty much aged up Damian instead.

Btw, Travis Mercer posted a fan-art of Jon and Damian in their current costumes like two months ago so I'm fairly certain those are the versions we are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Aren't the West kids supposed to be in their teens though?
    A recent issue by Spurrier specifically said they're now 13, but Adams has admitted he was told they were only 8 or 9. 13 actually makes more sense due to Damian's aging since their debut, but them being aged up so suddenly doesn't. They were 9 back in the pre-Flashpoint days when Damian was 10 after all, and Robin is 14 now. They should've been teens in the first place. But of course, Young Justice should be in their 20s and not still in their teens, and Jon was born after Conner's debut (he has to have been since the wedding was after Reign of the Supermen, so if Jon was born before Conner debuted, he was born out of wedlock), so even without his age up his existence should make Young Justice even older! A lot of characters de-aged in New 52 need that reversing, and Jon needs his origin completely retconned. It's true that kids ages in DC just don't make sense.

Marvel isn't nearly as bad at it, but they still fudge their maths sometimes too. Miles and Kamala should've graduated school by now (too many mentions of school holidays since Kamala's debut at age 16) and Franklin Richards has always aged weirdly (his younger sister Valeria's actually caught him up despite them both being born on panel and more than three decades apart, which should be a ten year age gap).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    I don't see them aging down Jon at this point that they have already pretty much aged up Damian instead.

Btw, Travis Mercer posted a fan-art of Jon and Damian in their current costumes like two months ago so I'm fairly certain those are the versions we are getting.
    Me too. Especially now that Damian is looking closer to Jon's age than before.
    Also, it's not like he'll be the only one a little older. Steph is there too.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post

Yeah now that Damian is in hs and will turn 15 by the end of his freshman year what’s the point