Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I think Waid's WF stuff is about the pre-Crisis Bronze Age more than anything. His JLA: Year One was post-Crisis I think, a retcon in which case he wouldn't be repeating himself at all. A Bronze Age JLA would be more like Earth-1985 as mentioned in brief at the end of Doomsday Clock and would feature the pre-Crisis/Satellite JLA. Just a guess, but that's my guess.
    Nah, it’s new history of the current DCU.
    Like Bumblebee joining the Teen Titans before Mal Duncan.
    The Titans going to discos don’t apply anymore.
    So Worlds Finest is the new history of the Bronze Age.

Yeah, analogous to the 70s, not actually set then. I meant that the status quo of the DC universe should broadly match that period, and therefore that's what era's roster a JLA WF book would use. They're actually set somewhere around 2008-2010.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Is it, though? In the WF: Titans series they were using cellphones and stuff.

I'm so confused by Batman/Superman and WF: Titans. I enjoy them, but I'm so lost on if they're supposed to be in continuity or not.
    They are canon, hence why events in them had repercussions in the modern day as seen with Lazarus Planet. Waid simply doesn’t care to accommodate DC’s jumbled mess of continuity regarding what happened pre-Rebirth.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Huh thats a neat surprise, cool that the character is making a comeback.

Plus the new format probably fits better than her than the typical floppy release format.

Never expected to see this again but I can't argue it's not topical.

Yeah, it IS an election year after all.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Waid simply doesn’t care to accommodate DC’s jumbled mess of continuity regarding what happened pre-Rebirth.
    He dislikes messy continuity so his solution is to make continuity more messy. Gotta love that logic.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I don't think he's done too much harm even if it's probably best you don't overthink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think he's done too much harm even if it's probably best you don't overthink it.
    I would rather have good stories set in the past than not have one just because "Oh, this doesn't fit what we saw in a book from 50 years ago."

It's impossible to create a story where Bruce, Clark, and Dick are younger and treated as if it takes place in the 60s and 70s while we see them today being depicted in the 30-year-old range. Unless it's another universe, but that takes the fun away.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Worlds Finest is Waid's headcanon. Nothing more, nothing less.
    But it's printed in a DC comic. It's as canon as any other story where the true test is whether or not subsequent writers decide to pick up what he's established.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I would rather have good stories set in the past than not have one just because "Oh, this doesn't fit what we saw in a book from 50 years ago."

It's impossible to create a story where Bruce, Clark, and Dick are younger and treated as if it takes place in the 60s and 70s while we see them today being depicted in the 30-year-old range. Unless it's another universe, but that takes the fun away.
    I agree. As I said in my initial comment I read and enjoy both WF books. It's just confusing is all.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

It all makes sense if you believe in a sliding timescale .

Waid stayed at Marvel for a long time, and Marvel has always done that. Retelling origins and modernizing important canon points while keeping everything canon. It works for Marvel, I have no problem with it being done at DC, especially done by Waid.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Waid stayed at Marvel for a long time, and Marvel has always done that. Retelling origins and modernizing important canon points while keeping everything canon. It works for Marvel, I have no problem with it being done at DC, especially done by Waid.
    Iron Man's gone through several different conflicts in his origin story.