Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Plus...Damon Helstrom--Hell
    Silver Surfer--Space
    Namor the Sub-Mariner--UnderSea Kingdoms
    Yes, something like that, although I would emphasize the extradimensional aspect of the alliance. For simplicity's sake, I probably would have the person that represented Atlantis represent the entire Earth dimension, just as I would if that person was from Russia, England, Mexico, Peru, Australia, Guam, Wakanda, Canada or wherever. It's not like you have to access a different dimension to get to Atlantis...although I have read some fantasy fiction where Atlantis was, indeed, in an adjacent dimension and not just a submerged continent on Earth proper.

I've always liked the concept of alliances, especially ones that have been in place for so long that many have forgotten that they even exist. But then a super baddie comes along and a clarion call goes out rallying all parties and reminding them that they are obligated to provide a united defense. That, to me, would be the Defenders. And if for some reason the Defenders fail (which would never happen with a team like this), then you'd call in the Avengers to, well, avenge.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Hank as a Defender. Back when the team was closer to its classic lineup, I thought Iceman would be a good member. I didn't like, however, that they were trying to make this into an X-Men lite team with issue #125. Don't hold that era in very high regard.
    I love the "New Defenders" era. I do get your point about "X-Men lite" since they had Beast, Iceman and Angel all together, but still that trio made up only half (or less) of the roster, with Valkyrie, Gargoyle, Moondragon, and Cloud all around. The team was definitely more "Defenders" than "X-Men". We're just not used to seeing so many mutant characters allowed to be in an non-X book for such an extended period of time, that's all.

I think my ideal Defenders line-up would include elements from the 'classic' Defenders group and the 'New Defenders' period together -- say, Nighthawk, Hellcat, Valkyrie, Hellstrom, Gargoyle, Cloud, Iceman...and Blue Marvel for some fresh blood.

I know I didn't include any of the original "big three" of Dr. Strange, Namor and Hulk, but to be honest I generally find them the least interesting part of a Defenders book. I always prefer to focus more on the "2nd string" members who were the true heart of the group, like Kyle, Val and Patsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I don't think that was a very popular team.
    I liked quite a lot the New Defenders, especially when J.M.DeMatties was still writing it, having the Beast trying to make it into a sort of Avengers team with a different flavor (proto-WCA?), giving them proper enemies in the form of Professor Power and the Secret Empire (with Mad Dog, the Mutant Force, Gargantua, etc... After JMD left, they tied the book too much with wierd menaces and Moondragon as the team's main baddie. It just stunk as wasted potential, IMHO.

Clea did show up when Strange wasn't around, like The Order and Fearless Defenders, IIRC. I clearly need to do a re-read of the Defenders, cause I really don't remember Cage that much.
    I loved Clea in the Defenders. They really should have used her more often in the classic run.

Defenders For a Day was a great fun idea, but it really is it's own thing, that highlighted all the unused superheroes.
    I wish more participants of the Defenders for a Day had stuck around. A revitalized line-up at that point could have been very intresting.

Peace

Yes, Clea was a perfect fit for the Defenders. After Doc Strange left, they should have had Clea be the team's mystic.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, Clea was a perfect fit for the Defenders. After Doc Strange left, they should have had Clea be the team's mystic.
    She has been. And I could certainly see her anchoring another Defenders team if it came up.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Time for some 90s extreme!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Time for some 90s extreme!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Whoa! Wanda, Cap, and Spidey were Defenders? I mean I shouldn't be surprised but wow! The Defenders ranks could rival the Avengers!

I like Xandu and his Wand of Watoomb!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Cap and spidey were defenders in the original team also.

Cap and spidey were defenders in the original team also.
    I think Spidey fought Hellcat about issue #61?

Didn't Cap appear about issue #106 or so?

Spider-man joined in issue 109.

Cap joined in captain america #268 and defenders 106.

[IMG][/IMG]

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Whoa! Wanda, Cap, and Spidey were Defenders? I mean I shouldn't be surprised but wow! The Defenders ranks could rival the Avengers!
    The "Secret Defenders" series of the 90s took the non-team nature of the series to a new level. There was NO regular "team"; the roster changed from one story to the next as Dr. Strange assembled whatever heroes were needed to deal with whatever particular threat he sensed that month.

Towards the end of the book, the series shifted gears and went back to the original set-up of a core group of heroes (in this case Dr. Druid, Shadowoman, etc) and a revolving door of other heroes that would come and go around them. But for most of SECRET DEFENDERS it was not a "team" at all, but more of an anthology book with a new set of team-ups in each new story.

Yup strange would just grab you. Marvel said even bad guys could be summoned for missions but they didn't go into it as much. Think the 80s mask cartoon picking members every mission.

You didn't have a choice also! Leaders were dr strange, dr droid and--thanos! Really!

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The "Secret Defenders" series of the 90s took the non-team nature of the series to a new level. There was NO regular "team"; the roster changed from one story to the next as Dr. Strange assembled whatever heroes were needed to deal with whatever particular threat he sensed that month.

Towards the end of the book, the series shifted gears and went back to the original set-up of a core group of heroes (in this case Dr. Druid, Shadowoman, etc) and a revolving door of other heroes that would come and go around them. But for most of SECRET DEFENDERS it was not a "team" at all, but more of an anthology book with a new set of team-ups in each new story.
    Wow! Sounds like there's gonna be a ton of new Defenders when I get to the 90s era!

Spider-man joined in issue 109.

Cap joined in captain america #268 and defenders 106.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Yep, but Spidey first appeared in #61, I do believe!

I was only going by Defenders issues, so #106 it is! This is the story where Val was shot and her mortal host body (Barbara Norriss) killed.