Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

What do people think of this thread concerning Cassie's design changes and her being made more feminine?

https://twitter.com/aWomanWondering/...16581865857389

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    What do people think of this thread concerning Cassie's design changes and her being made more feminine?

I see it both ways.

I think her growing out of her tomboy phase is very realistic as she grew up. Who she became throughout YJ/TT prior to New52 was fairly organic imo. Look at Billie Eilish for example or Avril Lavigne

But it is also nice to have a character who isnt really about looks/body.

I think Tom King basically summed it up with Cassie's segment in his WW run.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I see it both ways.

I think her growing out of her tomboy phase is very realistic as she grew up. Who she became throughout YJ/TT prior to New52 was fairly organic imo. Look at Billie Eilish for example or Avril Lavigne

But it is also nice to have a character who isnt really about looks/body.
    Yeah.... if you're writing Cassie as early 20s... or late 20s.....
    https://twitter.com/aWomanWondering/...363054/photo/4
    Yes, that IS perfectly acceptable as a look if she's over 20.

Seriously... if you told me this character was supposed to be 35.... I'd believe you..

As others have said I think her change was organic and realistic. It's not uncommon for people to outgrow a phase in their life. It's also not uncommon for a tomboy to become more feminine as they mature. Same for Cassie. She didn't change overnight, her costume and hair updated throughout her Young Justice run as she grew and matured until she became the young woman she is today. I actually really love that her growth was visible through it.

Speaking strictly about her growth through her run in Young Justice I don't see the issue.

I despise that thread and the misguided ideas behind it. I had a mohawk as a 14 year old, that means I have to wear my hair like that forever?

It would be different if there weren't stories devoted to Cassie's evolution. It would be different if it had happened all at once, instead of incrementally over time. Neither of those are true though. We saw the change happen across different books and there was a process to it. To go back now would make it all for nothing. She was presented like a Walmart cashier in her latest appearance in Wonder Woman, that should be plain and de-glammed enough. Sheesh!

One problem with growing up is that Young Justice generation has stopped growing and in some cases actually got younger over the years. And it is unlikely to change since both older and younger generations are more popular and relevant to DC. So they will be either forever stuck in a weird loop or removed from continuity entirely.

And yeah, it is perfectly normal for a person to grow out of whatever he or she were doing at younger age. But problem is that she grew up to be a generic female hero as far as her design goes. And being generic usually doesn't lead to more stories being told about that character.

I despise Britney Spears Cassie. While it's natural for people to change, we're talking about a fictional character who's mostly been written/drawn by male creators. And once they started sexualizing Cassie, her characterization also went downhill. So is it an actual growth or just an excuse to put a teenage girl in sexy outfits?

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I despise Britney Spears Cassie. While it's natural for people to change, we're talking about a fictional character who's mostly been written/drawn by male creators. And once they started sexualizing Cassie, her characterization also went downhill. So is it an actual growth or just an excuse to put a teenage girl in sexy outfits?
    THIS! I don’t think she necessarily needs to be a tomboy but let’s not pretend all the changes were about “growth” when she’s barely gotten any development. I like that King at least addressed her past portrayals.
    And I’m glad they at least got rid of that fugly skirt.

I feel the need to repeat myself....
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Seriously... if you told me this character was supposed to be 35.... I'd believe you..
    This isn't art that looks like someone underage, this is drawn to look like a grown woman.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I feel the need to repeat myself....

This isn't art that looks like someone underage, this is drawn to look like a grown woman.
    I don’t get why you keep bringing this up. It's not unusual for teenagers to be drawn older in comics. It doesn't change the fact that she's still written as a teenager.

Come on now, she didn't really get "a sexy outfit" until the New 52, and that's been totally undone, along with the silent armor causing her constant pain and her stealing artifacts. Even during that dark time period they worked on her characterization by making Lennox her father and having her team-up with Wonder Woman.

This is where we are now...

that's hardly Britney Spears. The only way she could be more plain is if you removed the star earrings and headband. In the present circumstances her over-sexualization is a moot point, she doesn't even have nice hair, much less curves, or a come hither demeanor.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-07-2024 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Come on now, she didn't really get "a sexy outfit" until the New 52, and that's been totally undone, along with the silent armor causing her constant pain and her stealing artifacts. Even during that dark time period they worked on her characterization by making Lennox her father and having her team-up with Wonder Woman.
    I beg to differ. It all started with the silly midriff. That's also when her personality (outside of WW book) became "Conner's girlfriend".

that's hardly Britney Spears. The only way she could be more plain is if you removed the star earrings and headband. In the present circumstances her over-sexualization is a moot point, she doesn't even have nice hair, much less curves, or a come hither demeanor.
    I have no problem with her current look.

I beg to differ. It all started with the silly midriff. That's also when her personality (outside of WW book) became "Conner's girlfriend".
    Yeah, but that was awesome, and I loved it. Why do you hate it?
    I don’t get why you keep bringing this up. It's not unusual for teenagers to be drawn older in comics. It doesn't change the fact that she's still written as a teenager.
    IS she being written as a teenager or a young woman? 'cause the Conner thing? In THAT story she was explicitly over 18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    to me those stories felt like "woman in 20s" as well. So the way she was drawn MADE SENSE.

Cassie acting seductive... was mostly directed at Conner anyways.

This look... is actually approximately equally revealing compared to the Silent Armor. The real diff is the art style not drawing every contour of her body.

Part of the logic of the Silent Armor look was actually that it's just how the armor looks, not what Cassie chose to wear.

I have no problem with her current look.
    I do, comics and soap operas are very similar. If a character isn't glam enough for General Hospital, to me they aren't glam enough for comics. Here is Cassie's General Hospital counterpart, Josslyn Jacks.

josslyn.jpg

Same age bracket, similar characterization, never "sexy", but always pretty. That's all I want, there are enough plain people in real life to look at, comics are about fantasy. The urge to make them realistic is what's ruining them.