Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I get the feeling Cassie would love what Nintendo have done with Princess Peach recently. Originally she was the damsel in distress kind of princess, that as that page proves, she's no fan of. But in the Super Mario Bros Movie, it's Luigi who needs rescuing, and Peach helps Mario to do it. She also has her own game out which doesn't involve Mario at all. That's the kind of princess she likes - one who actually fights for what they believe in, as Diana does. That's how a tomboy like Cassie became a princess fan.
    Nintendo's been doing more with Peach than making her a damsel in distress long before the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I despise that thread and the misguided ideas behind it. I had a mohawk as a 14 year old, that means I have to wear my hair like that forever?
    No and the author of the thread also said they didn't have an issue with Cassie's growing longer in the original Young Justice. It's everything else that they criticized.

It would be different if there weren't stories devoted to Cassie's evolution.
    What evolution? We didn't see any actual thought process behind why she changed. She just started dressing like virtually every female character in superhero comics over time.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    And Cassie's demeanor isn't even generally different. She wears what is by DC superhero standards.... tomboy attire. Let's do a quick comparison!

That is the gold standard here. By THAT^ standard is this a "sexy" outfit?
    That's tomboyish to you?

In the 2000's she was turned into a Supergirl clone.

Again, the problem isn't that she was changed. It's that she was changed into another pretty blonde girl because that’s just how teenage girls are depicted in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's tomboyish to you?
    Compared to what Wonder Woman is wearing? YES!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Again, the problem isn't that she was changed. It's that she was changed into another pretty blonde girl because that’s just how teenage girls are depicted in comics.
    IE when over 18 she now looks more like Wonder Woman than when she was under 18.... How is this a problem? What would you expect her to look like at that age?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

That's like saying every Raven haired dc heroine is a Diana clone because they have long black hair and are pretty.

Cassie used to look distinct in the 90s.

Whereas in the 2000s you couldn't distinguish between Supergirl and Wonder Woman outside their costumes, Look at the way both of them are drawn in that cover above.

So that's why says they turned her into a supergirl clone.

There's a whole lot to be said for branding, and a big (not the only) part of branding is making characters visually distinct. Obviously, when you have ten long-haired blonde characters running around as well as ten brunettes, and ten redheads, it is difficult to differentiate one from the other. But that's what you have creativity for. That's why comic books need to fully work with a variety of body shapes, hairstyles, and hair textures, and that is why editors need to coordinate all of this smartly and efficiently. That way, nobody will mix up Dinah Lance with Kara Danvers or Diana Prince with Donna Troy when they are out of their superhero costumes. I used to love how Donna and Diana's hair were always drawn differently (Diana's curly mane versus Donna's straight sideswept do)... And yes, if it were up to me, Cassie would have outgrown her fully tomboyish phase, but would still prefer more "masculine" hairstyles. I mean, why does every woman in comics have to have long, luxuriously wavy locks?
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 04-10-2024 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    IE when over 18 she now looks more like Wonder Woman than when she was under 18.... How is this a problem? What would you expect her to look like at that age?
    Something like this

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    That's like saying every Raven haired dc heroine is a Diana clone because they have long black hair and are pretty.
    In this particular image Cassie and Kara are pretty much indistinguishable. Same hairstyle, same color scheme, same face. Other raven-haired heroines usually look different enough, so it's not as egregious.

Something like this

Yup, that's a pretty good look. Not the suit I really want, but way better than what we have

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    A 19-year-old woman doesn't dress like her 13-year-old self, shouldn't be surprising. I had friends who were obsessed with Avril Lavigne at 13 and dressed just like her. Five years later, you couldn't see them dressing like that anymore.

People go through phases and have different tastes at different stages of their lives. Cassie growing into a more feminine woman is not strange in any way.

However, her New 52 portrayal is a different matter entirely.
    I mean, exactly this. I don’t see the issue

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    There's a whole lot to be said for branding, and a big (not the only) part of branding is making characters visually distinct. Obviously, when you have ten long-haired blonde characters running around as well as ten brunettes, and ten redheads, it is difficult to differentiate one from the other. But that's what you have creativity for. That's why comic books need to fully work with a variety of body shapes, hairstyles, and hair textures, and that is why editors need to coordinate all of this smartly and efficiently. That way, nobody will mix up Dinah Lance with Kara Danvers or Diana Prince with Donna Troy when they are out of their superhero costumes. I used to love how Donna and Diana's hair were always drawn differently (Diana's curly mane versus Donna's straight sideswept do)... And yes, if it were up to me, Cassie would have outgrown her fully tomboyish phase, but would still prefer more "masculine" hairstyles. I mean, why does every woman in comics have to have long, luxuriously wavy locks?
    Oh I agree and would love to see more short hair styles. There’s plenty of different short (and wonderful!) hair styles that women frequently wear so why not have some in comics? A lot of people look better in short hair too.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Something like this

In this particular image Cassie and Kara are pretty much indistinguishable. Same hairstyle, same color scheme, same face. Other raven-haired heroines usually look different enough, so it's not as egregious.
    Same color scheme? Their clothes couldn't be anymore different. Only colors that are close is the red of Cassies shirt and Kara's cape

I think Cassie can have long hair and be tough.

That's not what people are arguing about

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That's not what people are arguing about
    It kind of feels like it is symbolically?

Cassie had everything first, and Supergirl factored into Cassie's stories more than vice versa.