Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Gambit casually attempted to murder Scott with an explosive beignet. Maybe he deserved to have his girl stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Honesty he spoke so little that I don't remember if it was good or bad. But I didn't have the sound cranked up much either.

The fastball version was cool but it was also unnecessary complicated. I think the novelty of Remy charging Logans claws goes a long way and at the same time they didn't fully explore that or take advantage of it. Still it was cool, if not only for seeing his claws glow pink.
    Shouldn't Logans claws have exploded? I haven't seen anything except the trailer image of the maneuver...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Gambit casually attempted to murder Scott with an explosive beignet. Maybe he deserved to have his girl stolen.
    I was more concerned with Rogue smooshing all Gambit’s beignets, not Scott’s face.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    I haven't heard anything plot-wise of what happens in episode 3 (other than some "indifferent to Gambit or Romy" folks saying it was great), so please do spoil it for me, if you can.

I am afraid the love triangle will be his raison d'ętre for the first season, which is such a pity. Gambit should be a bad@$$, not moping around or cranky all season. I'm not against some angst, I'm just tired of love triangles and their predictable outcomes.

I wish I knew details. I just keep seeing vague hints, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    "attempted to murder". Quite an exaggeration there
    Make Good Art

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Shouldn't Logans claws have exploded? I haven't seen anything except the trailer image of the maneuver...
    Depends on how writers interpret the basis of his powers as charging objects with and letting it release kinetic energy.

Making things explode, as in having the energy rapidly and suddently expaned outward, which applies massive amount of pressure onto the air around it, is only the simplest form of his power.

Meanwhile it has been demonstrated over the years that Remy is capable of fine tuning or controlling the way the energy can be released, like slower or only into one direction.

There is also the technicality that the destruction of the object he charges depends on how well they are capable of withstand the explosive release of energy. Considering that adamantium is a "almost indestructable" metal which can apparently even withstand the force of a nuclear explosion, Gambit's regular explosions shouldn't really affect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Yeah, I've seen that, too. Plus Lenore Zann and people who have seen ep 3 seem to be stirring the pot.

It definitely feels like a monkey's paw. We get the show back but now it seems like Gambit might be a sad sack for the season for "development". And it's weird that this relationship is being explored when Rogue/Magneto didn't have any history in the original series.
    I noticed other little changes that fit 616 history rather than XTAS continuity, too. Something I loved about the original series is how close Storm and Rogue were, but I don’t think they even spoke in these new episodes. All the focus was suddenly on Storm/Jean, and she’s the only one Storm even left a note for.

For all the fear mongering from comics only fans about XTAS/MCU synergy “infringing” on the comics, between that relationship and the Magneto/Rogue retcon, it kind of feels like XTAS 97 might be the victim of the opposite here. Which is good in certain aspects for Remy (his ballsiness, competence, vanity, and creativity with his powers all shown off so far), but not others (such as whatever… this development is lmfao).

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    I haven't heard anything plot-wise of what happens in episode 3 (other than some "indifferent to Gambit or Romy" folks saying it was great), so please do spoil it for me, if you can.

I am afraid the love triangle will be his raison d'ętre for the first season, which is such a pity. Gambit should be a bad@$$, not moping around or cranky all season. I'm not against some angst, I'm just tired of love triangles and their predictable outcomes.
    I was already sort of accepting that Gambit (and Rogue) would likely be treated as secondary to the same Krakoa Main Characters, with maybe a few fan service and/or power feats to appease their fans, if only due to the former showrunner’s personal character preferences and how the X-office keeps bending to appease the preferences of the loudest Twitter fans (and the leaked action figures, as well as the screentime distribution in the first two episodes, sort of confirms it for me), but I was not expecting his subplot to be this.

I must be on some copium, because I’m still hoping it’s just a misdirect and their “history” was just Magneto pushing Rogue ideologically - either to embrace mutant supremacy, and/or train harder to have full command of her powers and manage non-lethal skin contact. (Which would also make a really nice twist if Scott is the one who ends up following Magneto and embracing that ideology by season’s end, if they’re gonna keep randomly sprinkling in comics plot points.)

Anyway, I’m still clinging to that adorable gif of them hanging out with Kurt to get me through this. At least we still have Gail Simone’s Uncanny and Deadpool 3 this year.

Here we go!

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Here we go!
    Hell yeah. Our king deserves it.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    They should have. But his powers and how he uses them are iffy. I like it when it’s clear and concise. Like either he has super agility or he doesn’t. If he does I want it scaled on a scale so I can know what to expect of it. With his charging I take it that the power he infuses into the item makes it explode. So if the explosion is less then the durability of the item, well then it remains. We know he can pick if cards fully explode or leave a scorched image like a burnt queen of hearts, for dramatic purposes. Still there are instances were he charges the molecules in an item and then adamantium, as the densest material with the most rigid structure should be hard to charge and it should also explode from the inside out.

Here we go!
    That’s really cool. Did not expect Gambit to trend like this. It reminds us how popular he was and is with the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisterhood Of Mutants View Post
    I noticed other little changes that fit 616 history rather than XTAS continuity, too. Something I loved about the original series is how close Storm and Rogue were, but I don’t think they even spoke in these new episodes. All the focus was suddenly on Storm/Jean, and she’s the only one Storm even left a note for.
    The showrunner (now ex-showrunner) is a huge Jean fan and wasn't shy to say she's his favorite character. It shows. Jean (or Maddy) is central to the first 2 episodes and even get a promotion in the intro. No wonder Storm is now her BFF. I thought their scene was cute (mostly because I adore TAS Storm) but I agree that her relationship with Rogue in the original series was very endearing.

I feel like Gambit had a good showing in these first 2 episodes. Poor Bishop, though. Mostly wallpaper

I was hoping they'd do the Gambit/Bishop friendship from the 90's. They even had a mini series together back then.
    Rogue and Storm in XTAS reminded me of Thelma and Louise. Rogue even had a Geena Davis look about her.
    Gambit was close with Storm too.
    Last edited by Sparta; 03-22-2024 at 11:30 AM.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I was hoping they'd do the Gambit/Bishop friendship from the 90's. They even had a mini series together back then.
    Rogue and Storm in XTAS reminded me of Thelma and Louise. Rogue even had a Geena Davis look about her.
    Yeah, it was nice seeing that brief hint of them working together in the Sentinel scene in ep 1 when Bishop absorbs the blast for Remy, but I crave more! Same with him and Storm!
    Make Good Art

Here we go!
    Return of the king!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    The showrunner (now ex-showrunner) is a huge Jean fan and wasn't shy to say she's his favorite character. It shows. Jean (or Maddy) is central to the first 2 episodes and even get a promotion in the intro. No wonder Storm is now her BFF. I thought their scene was cute (mostly because I adore TAS Storm) but I agree that her relationship with Rogue in the original series was very endearing.

I feel like Gambit had a good showing in these first 2 episodes. Poor Bishop, though. Mostly wallpaper
    Oh, I definitely knew that about the showrunner, which is why I’m still nervous about characters’ screentime parity in the remaining episodes. And I thought I noticed the intro order sliding around! (But was too lazy to check.) Subtle lmao.

Yeah, I’m hoping we get more Bishop, too, especially since he’s finally a main cast member.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I love all of those relationships so much, I really hope they’re not fully erased. It would be especially nice to see some good Gambit and Bishop interactions. Their fight choreography in the first episode was fantastic.

I'd be extremely disappointed if this love triangle is Gambit's character arc for the entire season. I've read 3-4 versions of it in the comics and they're honestly the worst stories he's ever had...the WORST. There's so much more to the character than this.
    The show is good so far from an X-Men perspective, but I really don't like the direction they're taking him here, and I think they're going to pummel him down even further in tomorrow's episode as well.

Episode 5 (the Genosha episode) looks to have some potential for Remy. I'm cautiously looking forward to that one. It's probably the ep that'll make or break him.