Page 30 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Claremont and Hama are the wolverine writers to me. And artists is ar the top has to be Marc Silvestri Adam Kubert and Leinil Yu. Just my Opinion
    Last edited by berserkerclaw; 04-09-2024 at 06:38 AM.
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MVComics View Post
    Same, he hasn't had a run to talk about since rucka imo
    I may need to revisit it but I remember disliking the Greg Rucka run so much at the time as it was the height of decompressed storytelling and just a drag to read on a monthly basis. I might change my mind if I reread that now and all in one go, but at the time I just found it mostly frustrating, especially as someone who absolutely adored Rucka's writing on his DC books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I may need to revisit it but I remember disliking the Greg Rucka run so much at the time as it was the height of decompressed storytelling and just a drag to read on a monthly basis. I might change my mind if I reread that now and all in one go, but at the time I just found it mostly frustrating, especially as someone who absolutely adored Rucka's writing on his DC books.
    For what it's worth, this blog agrees with you about how tedious it is to read issue by issue but is a lot more compelling when read together
    https://everydayislikewednesday.blog...wolverine.html

This part was really funny to me

De-coupling Wolverine from the X-Men (for the most part) and the Marvel Universe in general (again, for the most part) made for an easier, less new-reader hostile experience, but it was also somewhat surreal.

It would be understandable in a Wolverine TV show or movie, but it was strange reading a Wolverine comic book in which a federal agent spends so much time trying ot figure out who the short, hairy, wolfman guy with Civil War sideburns driving around on a motorcycle righting wrongs by stabbing dozens of bad guys to death might be. Was he man or animal? Did he even exist?

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Claremont and Hama are the wolverine writers to me. And artists is sat the top has to me Marc Silvestri Adam Kubert and Leonil Yu. Just my Opinion
    yup, exactly the same for me.

My favorite era was always with Frank Tieri and Grant Morrison. They are truly the ones that introduced him into the modern era.
    They modernised Logan's personality. You can see it in his bones when he faced off against the mob with guns pointed towards him and he didn't care. But then and there it was quickly removed as soon both of their runs ended.
    Last edited by Keno; 04-09-2024 at 06:27 AM.

I liked Rucka’s first story arc on Wolvie, but it went down in quality over his latter two arcs imo

Claremont was great for what he did, but I still find it quite difficult going back and reading old Claremont stuff, as older comics generally aren’t written as smoothly as modern comics are

I read Hama’s runs for the first time recently, and honestly don’t understand the hype. It was enjoyable enough, but it wasn’t as great as I had hoped.

I wish Peter David got a better chance at the character as I quite liked the few issues he did

Mark Millar did three story arcs with Wolverine, and they were all super fun, blockbuster type stories that are some of the best of their kind for Marvel. I don’t even like Millar usually, but these are great imo

Jason Aaron I’d my personal top writer. He did so many great stories over multiple titles and volumes, and I just don’t get the ‘meh’ opinion he seems to often evoke from people in regards to Wolverine

Ben Percy’s run has actually been great imo. He’s been good at balancing the blockbuster type stories with the deeper stuff, and I think anybody that isn’t enjoying Percy’s work on the character should definitely consider re-reading everything in one go, as opposed to monthly

For me I'd go Hama then Claremont, as Hama added so much of the stuff that I personally love about the character (particularly enriching the whole Weapon X mythos), then Millar and Lemire and Jason Aaron. That would round out my Top 5. I also love what Morrison did with him in New X-men, but here I'm just going with writers on Wolverine's solo book (or Old Man Logan in the case of Lemire).
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Ben Percy’s run has actually been great imo. He’s been good at balancing the blockbuster type stories with the deeper stuff, and I think anybody that isn’t enjoying Percy’s work on the character should definitely consider re-reading everything in one go, as opposed to monthly
    I plan on doing so once it's collected in one. I liked the first year or so of it but it went all downhill for me

Yeah, Percy's run on Wolverine was solid enough to warrant an oversized omnibus IMO, collecting all 50 issues. His X-Force, on the other hand... not so much. At least IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Claremont and Hama are the wolverine writers to me. And artists is ar the top has to be Marc Silvestri Adam Kubert and Leinil Yu. Just my Opinion
    Same.

My favorite wolverine story is Wolverine by Claremont and Miller, not only my favorite Wolverine story but also my favorite Marvel story overall.
    Larry Hama has a lot good stories, but it is more action packed stuff.
    The others long runs that i like are Greg Rucka´s, Jason Aaron´s, Mark Millar´s and Jeff Lemire´s and short runs are warren ellis´s and steve skroce´s.
    I see a lot of fans talking about Frank Tieri´s run but the only part that i think is really good is his last arc against the mob.

But all that is his solo stuff, if you include his team stuff my favorite is Claremont´s X-Men and Uncanny X-Force. But I also like him in New X-Men by morrison and X-Force by Yost.

Incredible Member

I've not read it but I've been told to Whedon's use of him was bad, if we're talking team books. Unsurprising given Whedon made it clear he hated Punisher and wrote him badly so I can easily imagine he hated Logan about as much.

I've heard his Wolverine summed up as "I like beer Wolverine."

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    I've not read it but I've been told to Whedon's use of him was bad, if we're talking team books. Unsurprising given Whedon made it clear he hated Punisher and wrote him badly so I can easily imagine he hated Logan about as much.

I would´t say he wrote him badly, Logan has good moments IMHO. The problem is more that wolverine is underutilized.
    I reread Astonishing X-Men recently and i didn´t like it much this second time. In my opinion the series didn´t age well. New X-Men is much better.

this week, We will find out if greg is drawing wolverine or x-force. would be happy with either but wolverine seems like a perfect book for greg
    So wolverine it is. Cheers! and here's to great art for at least 6 issues

So wolverine it is. Cheers! and here's to great art for at least 6 issues
    Yep. Cannot WAIT!!!

We won, team.

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post

Nah Whedon’s Wolverine was good fun. Not the star if the story, but uses him well within the team