Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

That’s true. They’ve almost all seen tremendous scope creep in terms of their powers. Not just Logan.

As for Romulus, I just ignore most of that stuff. I did kind of like the thought that a shadowy figure was manipulating the events of Logan’s life, keeping tabs on his family due to their genetic potential and then kind of orchestrating events along the way to some extent… but that sounds a lot like something Sinister would do versus Romulus… and we do know Sinister worked for Apocalypse for many, many decades prior to them splitting. En Sabah Nur is who imbued him with his powers and longevity, after all. So that fits much better IMO.

Sinister keeping tabs on the Howletts and specifically Wolverine over the years, and ultimately Apocalypse being behind Weapon X fits sooo much better than Romulus. After all, if the Apoccy’s mission was “survival of the fittest” and creating the strongest mutants possible… wouldn’t taking a mutant already born with incredible genetic gifts and enhancing him to make him stronger — so that he’s basically a super assassin capable of killing super soldiers in an age of superhumans — fit with that mission? Seems to me it would. Plus Logan’s line would be known to Apocalypse via his encounter with his ancestor, Folkbern Logan, in the Middle Ages. See Uncanny Avengers for that one.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by X-Logan View Post
    Not only Logan but I feel like every superhero is becoming more powerful over the years. Take a look at Storm, Cyclops, Jean, Polaris or even other characters in marvel like spider-man and compare them with the old days.
    The main problem with wolverine super healing factor is when the writers tend to forget all of others wolverine abilities just because he can tank everything so he doesn´t need to be tatictal smart, inteligent or use any fighting skill that he learned.
    very true!

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hated the Romulus stuff

My only wish for the new wolverine relaunch is that it isn't set in one part of the world. I hope he visits madripoor, japan, canada etc

Same. Globetrotting Wolverine is the best Wolverine.

Ryan Stegman variant…

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    That’s true. They’ve almost all seen tremendous scope creep in terms of their powers. Not just Logan.

As for Romulus, I just ignore most of that stuff. I did kind of like the thought that a shadowy figure was manipulating the events of Logan’s life, keeping tabs on his family due to their genetic potential and then kind of orchestrating events along the way to some extent… but that sounds a lot like something Sinister would do versus Romulus… and we do know Sinister worked for Apocalypse for many, many decades prior to them splitting. En Sabah Nur is who imbued him with his powers and longevity, after all. So that fits much better IMO.

Sinister keeping tabs on the Howletts and specifically Wolverine over the years, and ultimately Apocalypse being behind Weapon X fits sooo much better than Romulus. After all, if the Apoccy’s mission was “survival of the fittest” and creating the strongest mutants possible… wouldn’t taking a mutant already born with incredible genetic gifts and enhancing him to make him stronger — so that he’s basically a super assassin capable of killing super soldiers in an age of superhumans — fit with that mission? Seems to me it would. Plus Logan’s line would be known to Apocalypse via his encounter with his ancestor, Folkbern Logan, in the Middle Ages. See Uncanny Avengers for that one.
    I think for me, having shadowy figures keep track and manipulate events of Logan’s 150 years of life just makes scopes of his stories far too small

Ironically, having Romulus made his past less mysterious for me, because everything that happened or could have happened ultimately comes down to someone plotting and pulling the strings. If there was a distinct 10 year period, I wouldn’t mind, but the fact that someone has been behind every major moment in Logan’s life just feels so lame

Fantastic Member

I still don't understand the idea of "Apocalypse was behind Weapon X." I know that didn't happen but apparently it was supposed to. Why Apocalypse would have anything to do with Wolverine or a human program of such limited scope is beyond me.

Fall of the House of X #5 Foreshadow Variant by Josh Cassara…

Huh. Wonder what makes this a “foreshadow variant”? Is Logan going back to a wilder state in the new era? Interesting…
    Oh I would be so down for a wilder Wolverine I miss the growling in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Oh I would be so down for a wilder Wolverine I miss the growling in particular.
    I'm down for it too. Could be very interesting based on who's writing.

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    I still don't understand the idea of "Apocalypse was behind Weapon X." I know that didn't happen but apparently it was supposed to. Why Apocalypse would have anything to do with Wolverine or a human program of such limited scope is beyond me.
    Because it was a program designed to take mutants and make them even stronger. Turning them into living weapons. You can’t see how Apocalypse’s interests in this regard would align with the human pursuit of better and better super soldiers where they’re suddenly pivoting to using mutants to do this? And that maybe he was playing the humans behind the scenes in guiding and enabling this program somehow with his vast resources and advanced knowledge? Makes sense to me, but maybe my logic engine is flawed here.

Fantastic Member

Because it was a program designed to take mutants and make them even stronger. Turning them into living weapons. You can’t see how Apocalypse’s interests in this regard would align with the human pursuit of better and better super soldiers where they’re suddenly pivoting to using mutants to do this? And that maybe he was playing the humans behind the scenes in guiding and enabling this program somehow with his vast resources and advanced knowledge? Makes sense to me, but maybe my logic engine is flawed here.
    Well, put that way, it does make a bit mor sense. I just thought a human project like this would be beneath him.

I'm a new reader but ithe way you put it t kinda makes me think of Apocalypse explaining to Angel why he did what he did. It was at start of X of Swords.

Yep. In my mind this actually makes even more sense after all the revelations about Apocalypse in X of Swords. It certainly fits better than anything Jeph Loeb or Daniel Way did with Romulus. They just kind of shoehorned him into Logan’s past in a pretty forced and terrible way. At least IMO. I’d much rather it be Apocalypse. Maybe with Sinister too, as he was his lackey and a capable scientist after all. And he’s kind of tangentially connected to Weapon X already.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 04-18-2024 at 12:38 PM.

Yep. In my mind this actually makes even more sense after all the revelations about Apocalypse in X of Swords. It certainly fits better than anything Jeph Loeb or Daniel Way did with Romulus. They just kind of shoehorned him into Logan’s past in a pretty forced and terrible way. At least IMO. I’d much rather it be Apocalypse. Maybe with Sinister too, as he was his lackey and a capable scientist after all. And he’s kind of tangentially connected to Weapon X already.
    Honestly I prefer neither Apocalypse nor Romulus connected with Logan´s past.

Well, Sinister is already connected with it via Origin II as well as some of his early work with the Nazis in WWII that somehow tied into Weapon X (memory is fuzzy here). Apocalypse is thus far only hinted to have been involved (again, see ‘The Jungle Adventure’ for that clue, where there was an ancient looking skull coated in adamantium in his lab in the Savage Land), and of course there was also this recent revelation that Solem somehow has “adamantium skin” in the form of fine adamantium threads or “mesh” woven into his flesh centuries ago. How could this be if adamantium was a more recent discovery? Doesn’t add up. All signs point to Apocalypse being somehow behind the scenes manipulating things and, as I’ve pointed out, it fits with his M.O. of wanting to make mutants stronger.

On the one hand it over-complexifies things, so I get not wanting any Apocalypse connection. But, on the other, it makes the interwoven nature of the Marvel U more tightly connected, which I like. Especially with all the things that were revealed (or retconned) in the Krakoan era. So I can go either way on it. Like most of this stuff, fans are free to take what they like and ignore what they don’t. *shrugs*