Page 14 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dr237; 01-17-2024 at 09:31 AM.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

While I appreciate the gist of it, Duggan's writing is so weird... The art also doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    No worries :-)

I agree...rather than a separate power, it's moreso a power indicator of sorts
    Yeah. It's almost like a gradient and it seems very deliberate to me. I'd be willing to bet Morrison described it on the script.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    While I appreciate the gist of it, Duggan's writing is so weird... The art also doesn't help.
    I agree about the art, it looks kind of flat.

You should share what you shared with me. It’s much more conducive to a discussion.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Scott just seems so boring in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Scott just seems so boring in bed.
    Yep! The same position... Ever and Ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    I agree about the art, it looks kind of flat.
    Yeah, but for me, the biggest problem is that the facial expressions don't match the dialogue well. Add that to a weird dialogue...

I'm not sure if it's intentional... which is why I've even questioned myself if I got the "gist of it" right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    You should share what you shared with me. It’s much more conducive to a discussion.
    I don't suppose it would be a discussion, Mercury.

I really wish it could be.

--

I could talk a little bit about "The Lovers" card, though. I think it'd be a less charged subject.

Yeah, but for me, the biggest problem is that the facial expressions don't match the dialogue well. Add that to a weird dialogue...

I'm not sure if it's intentional... which is why I've even questioned myself if I got the "gist of it" right.
    Noto is good with covers and splash pages but not so much with action and conveying emotion. His art tends to feel stiff and lack life. He's worked with Duggan a few times this era (Cable, Dark Xmen, this series) and I think they just arent a good fit for each other

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Noto is good with covers and splash pages but not so much with action and conveying emotion. His art tends to feel stiff and lack life. He's worked with Duggan a few times this era (Cable, Dark Xmen, this series) and I think they just arent a good fit for each other
    Duggan really likes him, though. And Ive seen his talking about how he writes the script taking the artist into consideration.

I don't know what to make of it. I'm just sharing what I read/heard in an interview (sorry, I can't remember which interview it was. It was kind of a podcast from the time before of X-Men #1 was released, but it had already been announced).

I found these pages—the art, writing, and the implications of both—beautiful. They more than accomplished what they set out to do: Speak to Jean’s (1) power, (2) relationship with and deep connection to Scott, and (3) likely role in Fall of X. I think Duggan and Noto did a beautiful job here.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

And I love that it calls back to this:

So Jean has been implied to be appearing to Scott in his mind for as long as he's been in prison. Is that a psychic imprint she left from their psychic rapport that has lingered on following her appearing to him as she died? I dont think she's actively coming to him bc as we see her in the WHR in Immortal, she's delirious and incapacitated herself. Is Scott just imagining her as a coping mechanism to give him hope so he doesnt go crazy himself?

ETA: Those images remind me of them at the HG

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 9.06.29 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-17-2024 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    So Jean has been implied to be appearing to Scott in his mind for as long as he's been in prison. Is that a psychic imprint she left from their psychic rapport that has lingered on following her appearing to him as she died? I dont think she's actively coming to him bc as we see her in the WHR in Immortal, she's delirious and incapacitated herself. Is Scott just imagining her as a coping mechanism to give him hope so he doesnt go crazy himself?
    I suppose it could be all of your suggestions, including she's actually contacting him.

Now that could be instinctual (what if she's the one coping not to go crazy?) or some WHR shenanigans.