Page 81 of 101 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1508

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    They keep reminding us about Jean's Phoenix days. I'm not sure what it means but I do think it might lead to something (I would love for Jean to take on the codename like she did in the comics in the mid 90s).
    I’ve noticed this, too.

It’s sort of weird. Not because the Phoenix isn’t important or a big thing that shouldn’t be remembered. It is the biggest thing that has ever happened in Jean’s history.

The original animated series Phoenix never had this much of an impact though to where Jean constantly always recalled it to mind. Like, in spite of how big of an epic Jean’s time as the Phoenix was in the animated series, Jean never actually alluded to it after it happened. It makes me wonder if that means they are planning something significant with it.

Like we went from Jean talking to Charles Xavier in their fight with Shadow King,

“Professor, you taught me so much. Trust me.”

To statements from her and Madelyne going,

“I was Phoenix! Power Incarnate. The cosmos was calling to me to go and explore it.”

I'm working on something and I'm looking for a panel or panels where Jean is referred to as the 'Gene Matrix of the Phoenix'. Most likely from the 90's but possibly after. I don't necessarily need scans(though they are great), just an issue name and number would be plenty.

Thanks!
    Become an Iceman Dragonian...

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    I’ve noticed this, too.

It’s sort of weird. Not because the Phoenix isn’t important or a big thing that shouldn’t be remembered. It is the biggest thing that has ever happened in Jean’s history.

The original animated series Phoenix never had this much of an impact though to where Jean constantly always recalled it to mind. Like, in spite of how big of an epic Jean’s time as the Phoenix was in the animated series, Jean never actually alluded to it after it happened. It makes me wonder if that means they are planning something significant with it.

Like we went from Jean talking to Charles Xavier in their fight with Shadow King,

“I was Phoenix! Power Incarnate. The cosmos was calling to me to go and explore it.”
    I've also been wondering why they keep showing Dark Phoenix and Lilandra killing her on the moon in the opening credits. Yes, Jean and Madelyne have basically been referencing the Phoenix almost in every episode but it feels like foreshadowing to me and I have to wonder if Jean will go fully Phoenix by the time season 1 is over, perhaps to fight the season's big bad. I also noticed Trish Tilby calling her "Marvel Girl" in episode 5 which was never a thing in TAS... and I can't help thinking it was done to further highlight the rite of passage that might be coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    I'm working on something and I'm looking for a panel or panels where Jean is referred to as the 'Gene Matrix of the Phoenix'. Most likely from the 90's but possibly after. I don't necessarily need scans(though they are great), just an issue name and number would be plenty.

Thanks!
    I immediately think of Uncanny X-men 283 where Xavier states "..she quickly became a telepath of intricate complexity, if not for that the Phoenix creature might never have been able to use Jean's mind and body as a matrix to its own ends."

There very well could be other (or better) examples but this one sprung to mind.

I’ve noticed this, too.

True. That was something that bothered me in the OG series that after the Phoenix sagas it was rarely mentioned - Cyclops' dad referenced Jean once from when she was Pnoenix and Cyclops goes "she's calmed down since then" or something close to that. Xavier references the Phoenix saga in the very last episode when he talks to Jean (says something about her experiencing things no one else ever has and still remaining the same).

It was a big event and I'm glad in this series it is brought up. It is something that would still impact Jean.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Thanks for posting this, Mercury.

I thought it was just that the team liked the Phoenix Logo that they chose for Jean's new upcoming story as Phoenix, not that it was related to the Ultraverse. However, it is good to read it firsthand from the team.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

It feels surreal that we'll finally be getting a cosmic based Jean. Every time Jean's gotten close to that level of power and control, the writers do something to knock her down. They were too afraid even though Rachel had already proven that it could be done. It probably helps that Marvel already puts out books for other immensely strong female characters like Captain Marvel and the Scarlet Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Mercury.

I thought it was just that the team liked the Phoenix Logo that they chose for Jean's new upcoming story as Phoenix, not that it was related to the Ultraverse. However, it is good to read it firsthand from the team.
    You're welcome, love! Also, I thought the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    It feels surreal that we'll finally be getting a cosmic based Jean. Every time Jean's gotten close to that level of power and control, the writers do something to knock her down. They were too afraid even though Rachel had already proven that it could be done. It probably helps that Marvel already puts out books for other immensely strong female characters like Captain Marvel and the Scarlet Witch.
    I concur! It does feel surreal and wonderful to be getting a Jean solo series that is not only cosmic-based, but also honors her legacy in such a brazen way. It's an added bonus that we've been blessed with a senior editor who requested this based on his own personal preferences. Learning that Brevoort "always thought [Jean] would work best" in a cosmic setting and that it's "what [he] wanted to see back in the day" both thrills and fills me with much hope. Really, this is what Claremont always intended. This might turn out to be Jean's most significant and character-defining era since the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix sagas.
    Last edited by Mercury; 04-14-2024 at 03:27 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I also noticed Trish Tilby calling her "Marvel Girl" in episode 5 which was never a thing in TAS...
    We've been shown everything else surrounding the Marvel Girl phase in both incarnations of XTAS so not a huge leap to give us the codename name as well. Kind of goes along the lines of showing Storm in her Cockrum suit. There an unseen X-History...

Last edited by Thirteen; 04-14-2024 at 04:11 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    We've been shown everything else surrounding the Marvel Girl phase in both incarnations of XTAS so not a huge leap to give us the codename name as well. Kind of goes along the lines of showing Storm in her Cockrum suit. There an unseen X-History...

That's all true but at no point was Jean ever referred to as Marvel Girl. Not as a past codename, let alone a present one like Trish's use of it seemed to imply. Why would it be used now for the first time... it could simply be a homage to the comics, or foreshadowing that Jean she's ready to leave her original codename behind...

That's all true but at no point was Jean ever referred to as Marvel Girl. Not as a past codename, let alone a present one like Trish's use of it seemed to imply. Why would it be used now for the first time... it could simply be a homage to the comics, or foreshadowing that Jean she's ready to leave her original codename behind...
    Is it a stretch though? TAS was inspired by 90s X-men where Jean was not going by Marvel Girl either but there's enough evidence there to reference a time when she may have gone by that

And yes it was most likely used as an homage. Every episode has been filled with those that comic readers would get. Small little easter eggs that are there for fun

I believe Jean was also called Marvel Girl in the original somewhere. I forget where. I could absolutely be wrong though.
    Last edited by PyroFN; 04-14-2024 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Is it a stretch though? TAS was inspired by 90s X-men where Jean was not going by Marvel Girl either but there's enough evidence there to reference a time when she may have gone by that

And yes it was most likely used as an homage. Every episode has been filled with those that comic readers would get. Small little easter eggs that are there for fun
    Yes, I agree with you, I believe that there was a reference to Jean going by Marvel Girl, back when she wore the yellow/black outfit when she first joined the TAS team.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

I believe Jean was also called Marvel Girl in the original somewhere. I forget where. I could absolutely be wrong though.
    I agree, I <believe> this was during a revisit of the past and that we saw Jean in her original yellow/black costume, shown very briefly when she first joined the TAS X-Men team.

In the OG series, during the last episode of the DP Saga, when Scott asks why her green/yellow outfit, Jean states that is how she started and how she will finish.

I always took that to mean that Jean meant the name Marvel Girl with the green dress, since that was probably the last time Jean went by Marvel Girl and that was the last costume she used with the name.

By the time TAS starts, Jean is not using Marvel Girl anymore and is in her familiar yellow-orange/blue costume.