Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1508

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The Power Rangers chest plate really ruins the look. It would be more palatable without such an ugly element attatched to it
    I disagree. However, I don't think we've seen the new suit in action enough to really reach a consensus. I think Rose Besch's rendition of it deconstructs it just enough so that we can see what design elements artists have to work and play with. The flared collar here looks sharp and sexy and reveals this suit to be similar to the suit designed for her for Claremont's X-Men Forever. I could do without the headgear, but having it doesn't spell T-H-E E-N-D. We have bigger fish to fry and enjoy.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The Power Rangers chest plate really ruins the look. It would be more palatable without such an ugly element attatched to it
    Agreed. Although I think the chest plate/shoulder pads idea could work if they made it a metallic gold and shaped it like wings.

I like Jean's new Phoenix updated look, and I think we will see a few different takes on it, just like on the previous page.

But nothing matches Jean's Iconic Phoenix costume!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I couldn't care less about the new design, for me, it captures the elements that I'd hoped for. Not a direct retread of a old favorite, unique enough to stand out in any line up, absolutely matches the background of the series. But mostly it's intentionally different to establish this Jean is different she's exploring herself at her capacity and to me THIS is both how you get readers talking and at least willing to give the first issue a shot.

Besides she'll be mostly engulfed by a firebird's raptor the costume is the absolute least of our worries for this book, at least right now.

The Red Dragon

Both the sharp ass shoulders and head sock has gotta go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Agree, it’s a step down from the hellfire gala. Those shoulders, the weird boots, the full head condom look awful.
    Lol, that ain’t a head condom. This is a head condom.

I would call the other a head-band or cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I couldn't care less about the new design, for me, it captures the elements that I'd hoped for. Not a direct retread of a old favorite, unique enough to stand out in any line up, absolutely matches the background of the series. But mostly it's intentionally different to establish this Jean is different she's exploring herself at her capacity and to me THIS is both how you get readers talking and at least willing to give the first issue a shot.

Besides she'll be mostly engulfed by a firebird's raptor the costume is the absolute least of our worries for this book, at least right now.
    This, though I slightly lean more positive. Ultimately, my complaint would be a full-body suit and use of green again, but at least the shoulder pads differentiate the silhouette enough. If we didn’t have the shoulder pads, it would basically become the ‘00’s Revolution costume with black accents and longer gloves and boots.

I really don’t get the head sock issue though. It literally does as much cover up as the X-Men: Red costume, Gold era uniform, Revolution Phoenix, and even the current Dauterman look. I would honestly complain that not enough was done to differentiate it from the others, but that leads it to being boring. Not hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    This, though I slightly lean more positive. Ultimately, my complaint would be a full-body suit and use of green again, but at least the shoulder pads differentiate the silhouette enough. If we didn’t have the shoulder pads, it would basically become the ‘00’s Revolution costume with black accents and longer gloves and boots.

I really don’t get the head sock issue though. It literally does as much cover up as the X-Men: Red costume, Gold era uniform, Revolution Phoenix, and even the current Dauterman look. I would honestly complain that not enough was done to differentiate it from the others, but that leads it to being boring. Not hideous.

The Dauterman suit has a tiara not a cowl. I wouldnt put it in the same category as the others as it doesnt cover he sides of her face and jaw

With what little time I have between work and school, I've been slowly continuing my read-through of Phillips' work. As I noted before, I quite liked Cosmic Ghost Rider, and I'm really digging Grim; a lot. I'm also intrigued by We Only Kill Each Other. But I just read Black Widow & Hawkeye #1, which dropped last month, and I am thrilled. Phillips finally clicked for me. I'm willing to bet the introspective tone, along with the intrapersonal and interpersonal character dynamics, she's going for with this series is what we're going to get with Phoenix. And the narrative boxes! Don't get me started on the narrative boxes. Just ::chef's kiss::.

It seems Phillips’ strengths lie in writing solo characters, which is good, and I think she's aware enough of Phoenix’s iconic role and stature in comics to make her push hard toward greatness as a writer with this character Besides, it's clear she fancies working with the themes—loss, trauma, dissociation, struggles with great power—central to Phoenix’s story. (Incidentally, it feels both surreal and thrilling to be referring to Jean as Phoenix.) But yeah, my confidence in her work just shot through the roof. The way she writes Natasha... I just know she's going to get Jean.

Some sample pages:

Last edited by Mercury; 04-16-2024 at 08:53 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I disagree. However, I don't think we've seen the new suit in action enough to really reach a consensus. I think Rose Besch's rendition of it deconstructs it just enough so that we can see what design elements artists have to work and play with. The flared collar here looks sharp and sexy and reveals this suit to be similar to the suit designed for her for Claremont's X-Men Forever. I could do without the headgear, but having it doesn't spell T-H-E E-N-D. We have bigger fish to fry and enjoy.

Not sure I like the art for this one. It isn't the costume, it's the odd proportions. It's like an attempt at mimicking manga by someone who doesn't like it very much, or at least that is how it appears to me. I'll have to see it done by someone whose art isn't so....style over substance.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Not sure I like the art for this one. It isn't the costume, it's the odd proportions. It's like an attempt at mimicking manga by someone who doesn't like it very much, or at least that is how it appears to me.
    I love how it highlights the individual design elements and the potential of the new suit under different artists' hands by slightly deconstructing it.
    Last edited by Mercury; 04-16-2024 at 09:30 PM.

The Dauterman suit has a tiara not a cowl. I wouldnt put it in the same category as the others as it doesnt cover he sides of her face and jaw
    It's still the same kind of shape covering her forehead with something in the middle. Obviously Dauterman designed it to evoke the cowl from the previous costumes that had it.

On the main cover the new Phoenix costume is also like that without covering the sides of her face or jaw, though I'm guessing that's not the "correct" version? I wonder if we'll get the concept art/design sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

I like how it looks in this style and the colorful feathers remind me of final fantasy's phoenix

I agree. I'm excited for the book but hate this costume because of the chest plate.