Page 28 of 105 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Anyone else think that the Jean mini series should have been published a bit later than it was? Considering how Jean was at the end of it, all radiant and bursting with self awareness, and then her presentation in the comics….it seems somehow anti climatic, although the hints at Jean as Phoenix in the other comics might have spoiled the mini.

And Jean may be alive in WHR, but her body is ashes………. What’s gonna happen?

BANNED

Better than to not have a mini, I suppose, and there were a couple of good splash pages in it, but there just wasn't a story in place for a mini, unfortunately. Hopefully, there is some big plan bringing meaning to the last half a year of Jean content/non-content, but Gillen walking back that line from Immortal that noted a circular connection between Jean and Phoenix during an interview is not a great sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post

We've seen this movie.

https://grammarist.com/phrase/rise-l...rom-the-ashes/

Phoenix rising from the ashes refers to the idea of something being reborn after total destruction, like a comeback so grand it’s simply legendary. Picture a blockbuster movie where the hero loses everything, only to rally back in an even more epic fashion. That’s your phoenix, baby, rising from the ashes, refreshed and ready to conquer the world.

The phoenix bird is a mythical bird from Greek mythology. It was a feathered creature of great size with talons and wings, its plumage radiant and beautiful. The phoenix lived for 500 years before it built its own funeral pyre, burst into flame, and died, consumed in its own fiery inferno.

Soon after, the mythical creature rose out of the ashes, in a transformation from death to life. This story of becoming born again predates the story of the phoenix rising from the ashes.

A counterpart to the phoenix is the Bennu of Egyptian mythology, which was a large heron venerated in Heliopolis, Egypt. The fenghuang is a Chinese bird often depicted with fireballs. The feathers of the Russian firebird emit light and is often the subject of quests in folklore.

The phrase rise like a phoenix from the ashes is often shortened to rise like a phoenix, or even rise from the ashes. Related phrases are rises like a phoenix from the ashes, rose like a phoenix from the ashes, risen like a phoenix from the ashes, rising like a phoenix from the ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    Anyone else think that the Jean mini series should have been published a bit later than it was? Considering how Jean was at the end of it, all radiant and bursting with self awareness, and then her presentation in the comics….it seems somehow anti climatic, although the hints at Jean as Phoenix in the other comics might have spoiled the mini.

She's still dead. Her spirit is active in the WHR but she's still considered dead. She's likely going to rebuild a body for herself as she has done in the past whe she returns to the land of the living

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

I know some fans aren't very excited about the cartoon (I'm one of them), but I'll repost this for those who are and haven't seen it on the other thread:

There are other pictures with Jean, the group and the other character's uniforms here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ement)/page162
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ement)/page163

BANNED

They better not bring all that fainting crap to the comics. Eyes and powers goofily the wrong colors.

Narrator: He said quite impotently.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 02-04-2024 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    They better not bring all that fainting crap to the comics. Eyes and powers goofily the wrong colors.

Narrator: He said quite impotently.
    Her eyes were only green during the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga. :(

I get they're keeping the blue eyes/blue psychic signature because the original cartoon had those. If she doesn't faint/trip on tv cables, I'll consider it a win. I'll even ignore the wrong colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I know some fans aren't very excited about the cartoon (I'm one of them), but I'll repost this for those who are and haven't seen it on the other thread:

There are other pictures with Jean, the group and the other character's uniforms here:

Who's not excited? I am very excited. Cannot wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Who's not excited? I am very excited. Cannot wait for it.
    Do you remember the amount of negative reactions we had in this thread to the news that Jean might be pregnant in the cartoon?

That was before we knew Madelyne would be a part of the story, but I'm still not assuming everyone is happy about it. I was just acknowledging those fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post

Thank you, Grinning Soul!

While I liked how Jean looked in the original cartoon (minus the uniform), Jean looks good here with the tweaked costume.

But, I wish they would have gone with the Disney redesign, which is only slightly differert, but to me looks a lot better with the blue boots, side panels and gloves.

I do like Jean's Blue Power Signature for the show, even though I like it better as pink for the comics.

And while the eyebrows are nice and red, Jean's eyes are blue again! So much for the staff "knowing" and loving Jean.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thank you, Grinning Soul!

While I liked how Jean looked in the original cartoon (minus the uniform), Jean looks good here with the tweaked costume.

But, I wish they would have gone with the Disney redesign, which is only slightly differert, but to me looks a lot better with the blue boots, side panels and gloves.

I do like Jean's Blue Power Signature for the show, even though I like it better as pink for the comics.

And while the eyebrows are nice and red, Jean's eyes are blue again! So much for the staff "knowing" and loving Jean.
    No problem, honey.

I think they kept the power signature and eyes blue for consistency with the previous cartoon. I wish they kept her hair redder, though, and maybe toned down the red in Rogue's and Cyke's hair (to make them more brown like in the comics).

The rest of the redesign looks okay to me. I don't like much the belt area, but she overall looks cute. :)

I have zero expectations for this cartoon, but I'm ready to come back here and say I watched it and love it. :)

How can the colors be wrong when X-Men TAS/97 is an AU? Universe-Number-Whatever's Jean Grey having blue eyes and powers is really a big deal for y'all?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    How can the colors be wrong when X-Men TAS/97 is an AU? Universe-Number-Whatever's Jean Grey having blue eyes and powers is really a big deal for y'all?
    Not really.

But would you ask that of Thor's fans if his hair was black?

Or of Cyclops fans if his optic blasts were yellow?

Like I said, I'm more concerned with her not fainting/tripping, but I'd prefer if her eyes were green and her psychic energy was pink, because I don't see Jean's characteristics as any less important than any other character. I also want Hulk to be green and Wolverine to have blue eyes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post

As a fan of the character, there are several reasons to not want this archaic BS to be the main depiction of the character moving forward, including the lame (and incorrect) design.

This is THE Jean. It's not an AU. Comic department follows the film/TV department. So you can get it, let's think about some characters you like; you wouldn't want Cyclops and Emma colored incorrectly or made ineffective for laughs constantly. Of course some Jean fans feel the same about their fave.

It's not like her powers have ever been portrayed as pink outside of the comics. Besides being blue in TAS they were colorless in Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men and in the movies. Maybe if the MCU goes with pink that will start being reflected in other adaptations.