Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105
Results 1,561 to 1,573 of 1573

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    This is the most beautiful way how Jean's powers are depicted; even more gorgeous than the psychic Phoenix fire. We only saw them this way in this particular issue, right? It is like an artist wanted to remind us how amazing psy powers are, a last time before Jean became Phoenix.
    Yes, only this exact way in that issue to that degree and maybe a little when Jean controlled Lang's skysled, although as kcekada mentioned, Neal Adams was the first one to add colors to Jean's powers.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I posted this a while ago, in context of how our Jeannie -- who is supposed to have perfect recollection -- keeps forgetting about her own power.

Anyway, just to make her early cool feats complete, here it goes:

Good point, Grinning Soul!

To add on to your point, with a power Jean forgot about: Jean could levitate herself in flight, as early as issue #14!!

But after that, we never saw it again, only Jean bounding over the grounds or leaping over embers. Never anything even closely resembling flight, until after Jean became Phoenix.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Good point, Grinning Soul!

To add on to your point, with a power Jean forgot about: Jean could levitate herself in flight, as early as issue #14!!

But after that, we never saw it again, only Jean bounding over the grounds or leaping over embers. Never anything even closely resembling flight, until after Jean became Phoenix.
    Interesting points, maybe Xavier was trying to limit her powers for a much longer period than we know?

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Good point, Grinning Soul! :)

Hi, hon!

Yeah. I remember we talked about it back then too. In that instance, because of the Phoenix, I guess we could say the flight just felt different for her -- it didn't feel like she was using her tk to lift herself -- and CC didn't word it very clearly. Or maybe editors cut some of it down for spatial purposes on the panel. Who knows?

It's not a dig at the writers anyway. No one is suppose to know every little obscure power usage from all characters who have been around for decades. Those things happen. They're just funny. :)

Some Jean Grey fan art I saw scrolling through Google:

This art is by Pencil.Paper on Tumblr.

Obviously, we are gonna take issue with hair being brown, but it is a fan artist. We will give them a pass and focus on the real reason I am showing. The dress on Jean. I love the scarf and long gloves to go with the knee-high boots. The pattern also does a good job shaking up the plain dress design. Coming up with patterns are not easy (at least for me when I draw), so I admire this artists ability to make something eye-catching off of an older design.

I LOVE this design above by JzaDragon on Reddit. For context here, this is a DnD inspired design that they did for X-Men characters. Jean Grey being one of them. If you’re more curious about the DnD build he made up for the Jean Grey above, click on the link below:

http://https://www.reddit.com/r/3d6/...ion_sorceress/

Focusing on the design itself though, it does so many smart things! A bodice/vest to break the dress up. An ornately designed mask that does nothing for hiding a superhero identity, but does everything to free up Jean’s face far more. I love the gold arm and leg chains that allude to her Marvel Girl boots. Unfortunately, because of the society Jean was raised in, we can’t come up with good excuses to go so bold in design for a regular costume. Yet, in a setting that DnD provides, this sort of thing would be perfect! Those sleeves do a good job invoking a magical element (which probably says a lot about how society had integrate the image of an average wizard in my head, especially Disney), like a mage casting her spell.

My only gripe would be the brown vest and belt are sort of just tacked onto the design. Since brown belts are common even in today’s society, I think we could keep the brown belt, but the vest should definitely be a different color. I think a different colored green would do well. Or maybe change both the vest and belt to a very nice, dark grey color with golden accents to match the rest of the outfit.

This last one I got some notes, but I also generally love. It is by pretty-cool-huh on DeviantArt (also @pretty.cool.huh on Instagram).

I apologize to anyone who thinks this may be an oversaturation of red. I personally love it because red is my favorite color and Jean does not wear it enough. When I think Jean Grey, it’s always red I think of with colors associated with her. It’s a prominent stand-out color that she looks amazing in every time.

But, if there were objections, I would see their point of view. Red is also very closely associated with the Scarlet Witch, so it could easily confuse someone. I actually had to look to make sure this was Jean and not Wanda. And again, it’s a lot of red…..but I love red, so it’s easy to handwave for me.

If I were to figure out a way to rectify it, I probably would have gone with some yellow patterns along the edges of the plated parts to break it up. But, if we were to go with something less predictable, a very nice blue could compliment the red nicely and would be a neat allusion to the X-Men Red costume while keeping its unique look.

Overall, I am glad I found all of these designs because they look incredible.
    Last edited by PyroFN; Yesterday at 10:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Like the red costume above. I think I'm one of the few that liked her X-Men: Red blue and red costume. People said it looked too 90's but it didn't to me. No padding or pouches or belts. It looks more like what we are getting now on the future team line-ups. Though, I never really minded that 90's style, when done by Jim Lee anyway, because I think he was the only one who could make it work anyone else who tried utterly failed.

The red one is nice although a little too monochromatic. I would like to see more of Jean in red now too.

I didn't like her X-Men Red costume at first because it seemed too bulky, but it grew on me. The green/yellow variant from Krakoa was horrendous though. Hated that. Wouldn't mind seeing the X-Men Red costume come back because it's one of her more unique ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    I wonder what Hope needs. We know the plan is to "take out" the Phoenix, triggering its rebirth. Not entirely sure why Jean herself can't do anything, but it's likely because she is Phoenix. But now that she's alert, and can "see" everything, she should be able to direct Hope herself. Anyway, great to see Jean back, if only in spirit at the moment.
    Most likely: Iceman.

You know, it's funny... At the end of Immortal X-Men you could see all the little pieces building to this even then, and my expectation for X-Men Forever was for Iceman/Dragon to somehow force his way into the WHR... Battle his way through the X-Men and related mutants to reach Jean... and strike her and the Phoenix while they are the most vulnerable. His goal: to either corrupt the Phoenix or end it entirely.

Skip ahead a few issues and ending(temporarily) the Phoenix is THE PLAN. A lot of the heavy lifting for the Phoenix's destruction has already been done first by Mother Righteous and then by Jean's own Phoenix 'family'.

And now they are likely to send Iceman to the WHR for the very purpose of snuffing out the Phoenix, even cheer him on in the process.

It's almost like the Great Serpent himself orchestrated the whole thing...

Considering the two great adversaries set up for the Dragon are the Phoenix and Thor, and the Great Serpent has been rewriting time to change Thor's fate, it stand to reason he would do the same with Jean.

Become an Iceman Dragonian...

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    The red one is nice although a little too monochromatic. I would like to see more of Jean in red now too.

I didn't like her X-Men Red costume at first because it seemed too bulky, but it grew on me. The green/yellow variant from Krakoa was horrendous though. Hated that. Wouldn't mind seeing the X-Men Red costume come back because it's one of her more unique ones.
    Yeah red and blue is a color combination that was never one that Jean has had before. Re: your unique comment. I actually liked the "bulkiness" but I can see why others wouldn't.

Become an Iceman Dragonian...

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post

This last one I got some notes, but I also generally love. It is by pretty-cool-huh on DeviantArt (also @pretty.cool.huh on Instagram).

I apologize to anyone who thinks this may be an oversaturation of red. I personally love it because red is my favorite color and Jean does not wear it enough. When I think Jean Grey, it’s always red I think of with colors associated with her. It’s a prominent stand-out color that she looks amazing in every time.

But, if there were objections, I would see their point of view. Red is also very closely associated with the Scarlet Witch, so it could easily confuse someone. I actually had to look to make sure this was Jean and not Wanda. And again, it’s a lot of red…..but I love red, so it’s easy to handwave for me.

If I were to figure out a way to rectify it, I probably would have gone with some yellow patterns along the edges of the plated parts to break it up. But, if we were to go with something less predictable, a very nice blue could compliment the red nicely and would be a neat allusion to the X-Men Red costume while keeping its unique look.

Overall, I am glad I found all of these designs because they look incredible.
    Except for small details, I love it. Many bonus points for *not* being green! :)

Thanks for sharing, Pyro.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post

What issue is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Hi, hon!

Yeah. I remember we talked about it back then too. In that instance, because of the Phoenix, I guess we could say the flight just felt different for her -- it didn't feel like she was using her tk to lift herself -- and CC didn't word it very clearly. Or maybe editors cut some of it down for spatial purposes on the panel. Who knows?

It's not a dig at the writers anyway. No one is suppose to know every little obscure power usage from all characters who have been around for decades. Those things happen. They're just funny.
    Hi Sweetie!

Yes, I agree, when Jean was Phoenix, flying was true flight power--similar to the way Carol had flight as Ms Marvel--and it probably was different/felt different for Jean.

But I would have loved to have seen Jean flying more in those early-mid X-men comics!

I also thought Jean would have had more action when the team first went to Krakoa (and the New XM were formed). Jean did not fly there either nor did she sense the thoughts/presence of the island before all of them were ambushed.