Page 15 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Duggan really knows only missionary (look at Emma and Tony) and noto’s art doesn’t help

Quote Originally Posted by Braxxer View Post
    Duggan really knows only missionary (look at Emma and Tony) and noto’s art doesn’t help
    He's not the artist! I doubt he's given explicit instructions to put them in a specific sexual position.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    So Jean has been implied to be appearing to Scott in his mind for as long as he's been in prison. Is that a psychic imprint she left from their psychic rapport that has lingered on following her appearing to him as she died? I dont think she's actively coming to him bc as we see her in the WHR in Immortal, she's delirious and incapacitated herself. Is Scott just imagining her as a coping mechanism to give him hope so he doesnt go crazy himself?

ETA: Those images remind me of them at the HG

Attachment 137132
    I think she’s coming to him. One thing Jean Grey (2023) and Immortal X-Men #16-#18 made clear is that Jean’s psyche is boundless. She was increasingly clear-minded in the former while being confused in the latter. Her psyche is fragmented. It makes sense that one aspect of her psyche is communicating with Scott. She’s also listed on the roster for this issue, which wouldn’t be necessary or the case if she was simply appearing in a dream/illusion.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I think she’s coming to him. One thing Jean Grey (2023) and Immortal X-Men #16-#18 made clear is that Jean’s psyche is boundless. She was increasingly clear-minded in the former while being confused in the latter. Her psyche is fragmented. It makes sense that one aspect of her psyche is communicating with Scott. She’s also listed on the roster for this issue, which wouldn’t be necessary or the case if she was simply appearing in a dream/illusion.

If thats really Jean appearing to him, then why is she so abstract instead of telling him whats up? The stuff he's getting feels too generic, like its easily made up by him

If thats really Jean appearing to him, then why is she so abstract instead of telling him whats up? The stuff he's getting feels too generic, like its easily made up by him
    Because she’s fragmented. It is likely that the highest or most evolved facet of her psyche is reaching out to him. I can also envision her believing she’s in a dream and exhibiting the all-knowingness of dream states.
    Last edited by Mercury; 01-17-2024 at 10:47 AM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Duggan was definitely "seeding" there so I guess it's going to unfold in FotHox somewhere, somehow. I just wish it was more...impactful. His superfluous dream sequences so far have only just taken up valuable page space that could have otherwise gone to the actual main story being told.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

And I love that it calls back to this:

Me too!

Pre-X-Men Jean with her Telepathy not yet blocked, showing Jean as she was/is and will be in the future!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Because she’s fragmented. It is likely that highest or most evolved facet of her psyche is reaching out to him. I could see her also believing she’s in a dream and exhibiting the all-knowingness of dream states.
    It could be the other way around, and it's actually her most primal part.

She's in danger, she's hurt, and she was already supposed to be under enormous distress *before* MR stabbed her. Her mind could be instinctively reaching out to her safe harbour, her stabilizing influence.

Or it could be WHR shenanigans. What exactly is Duggan's understanding of the WHR existing outside time? It could be a "future" Jean. By "future", I mean our understanding of future.

When you assume things such as non-linearity of time, or things existing outside it, things get funny. So, who knows?

He's getting them when he dreams, so he's mind is not operating in the same way it does when he's awake by definition. That could explain it, I suppose.

But yes, I think it's deliberately written so it could be really just his mind making it up.

All-New Member

Scott believes it to be real, as he tells a psychiatrist or psychologist on the subsequent page. During the periods of her prior deaths, he was shown having vivid dreams of her but he always understood them to be dreams. I would assume we are to believe it is real because he thinks its real.

Maybe she left a peice of hersel with Scott as an anchor to Earth, understanding that she would need to eventually come back. That fragment could be what inevitably an allows her to exit the WHR and create a body for herself as she's done before

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 10.03.06 AM.jpg

Super left field, not quite serious but playful speculation:

We planted...we created...we loved

The imagery (sex and flames)...the cover of X-Men Forever and Jean's position, and so much blood(in a Phoenix shape)...could Jean give some kind of metaphysical birth while in the WHR? Stranger(or just as strange) things have happened...like Jean's psychic blueprint sperm and Jaime literally giving birth to a space station.

Fire and rebirth

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Not discounting it but...That's a very odd and different way to reiterate that the Phoenix will always "rise from the ashes".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Jean saying “I know you’ve been tortured, you can’t hide that from me”, leads me to believe that she is contacting Scott through his dreams. He’s not even sure it’s real, but if you can ask ( he did ), it’s not really just a dream. I recall Jean telling Emma to “prepare” when she was likewise taken out of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    Super left field, not quite serious but playful speculation:

We planted...we created...we loved

The imagery (sex and flames)...the cover of X-Men Forever and Jean's position, and so much blood(in a Phoenix shape)...could Jean give some kind of metaphysical birth while in the WHR? Stranger(or just as strange) things have happened...like Jean's psychic blueprint sperm and Jaime literally giving birth to a space station.

Fire and rebirth
    I wouldn't put it anything past Marvel, but I think it's mostly about symbolism.

Fire is connected to life and death.

Blood is connected to life and death.

Sex is connected to life and bonding (and fire, if you think of passion).

The Phoenix is connected to life, death, destruction, creation, bonding, fire, passion...
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 01-17-2024 at 12:06 PM.