Page 40 of 98 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
    The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by dr237 View Post
    Attachment 137898

Should we be worried that Jean isn't in the crowd at the wedding...
    Nah they probably just dont want to spoil the ending of fall/rise even though that cover doesn’t mean anything. The solicitation implies it takes place in the past so no one is going to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Knocked out here, pregnant tradwife over there; there's just not that much interest in her as a narrative character, unfortunately. What I'll say for Gillen is that sometimes he kinda-sorta gives "Jean is Phoenix" dialogue (and then walks it back, but that's more positive for me than I can say about most of what happens to her).

I'm hoping the Wolverine game people are bringing some heat for us in 2025 lmao
    Looking back I think that's why they released that mini. To have a bit of Jean actually being a character and doing something instead of just being in this... state all the way from her death at the gala to the final issues of Rise/Forever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Looking back I think that's why they released that mini. To have a bit of Jean actually being a character and doing something instead of just being in this... state all the way from her death at the gala to the final issues of Rise/Forever.
    That makes sense, and I think you are right.

What didn't make sense was having the mini be about rehashing old information. The solicits had me thinking we would be getting "secret history" about the Phoenix and Jean making pivotal choices and whatnot.

But at least there was sort of an attempt to feature the character, I guess. You can tell that they didn't allow Weezy to know what is actually happening and oncoming in the books though.

All-New Member

Can I just express my disappointment with Rachel not showing any care when MR said that she tried to sacrifice the Phoenix? She asked about the WHR, they got informed, and Sinister Doug showed way more emotions lol

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Knocked out here, pregnant tradwife over there; there's just not that much interest in her as a narrative character, unfortunately. What I'll say for Gillen is that sometimes he kinda-sorta gives "Jean is Phoenix" dialogue (and then walks it back, but that's more positive for me than I can say about most of what happens to her).

I'm hoping the Wolverine game people are bringing some heat for us in 2025 lmao
    The Phoenix dialogue has started to irk me, because it's all statements from much better stories.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Well he did say she would grow and grow until she consumed the book. So hopefully, we will see her agency and point of view when she comes together and takes on Enigma.

This week's Rise #2.

Now and Forever is Gillen's theme for Jean. Not only was it repeated in Immortal #17, but its what the Progenitor told Jean, "you are the Phoenix, now and forever" and the solit to AXE X-Men was "what part of now and forever don't you understand?" In the solit for Rise #5, Jean is referred to as "one who is now and forever."
    That's exactly how I see it playing out, but the twist will be Jean STILL isn't able to defeat Enigma and either empowers Hope or uses Hope's sacrifice to ultimately stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think that's exactly why they released it which I was grateful, because the optics of her bladdering incoherent across multiple titles, and dying back to back is crazy. But I think the larger story handicapped that series in many ways. It wasn't able to confirm or fully deny a relationship with Jean. Nor could in the context of the story actually evolve or grow from where she was left after the HFG because Gillen needed her in this state for his stories.

Love how Gillen is hammering the point home: “Now and forever.” 🤌🏻🔥

Mother Righteous said, “I have a point to make: I tried to sacrifice a primal force—the sum and substance of all that lives.” And yet, Jean is still supremely alive, undergoing a regenerative process beyond anyone’s scope of understanding. ☝️🏻😌

Also, as I wrote on Twitter:

Her TPB came. I wish @LouiseSimonson2 was still active on here—and am glad @thebernardchang and @amyreeder are—to thank her for this beautiful miniseries exploring Jean’s past, present, power, pathos, complexity, mystery, love(s), and transcendence. It was a time. 🤌🏻🔥 #XSpoilers
    Last edited by Mercury; 02-21-2024 at 03:47 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    The Phoenix dialogue has started to irk me, because it's all statements from much better stories.

That's exactly how I see it playing out, but the twist will be Jean STILL isn't able to defeat Enigma and either empowers Hope or uses Hope's sacrifice to ultimately stop him.

I think that's exactly why they released it which I was grateful, because the optics of her bladdering incoherent across multiple titles, and dying back to back is crazy. But I think the larger story handicapped that series in many ways. It wasn't able to confirm or fully deny a relationship with Jean. Nor could in the context of the story actually evolve or grow from where she was left after the HFG because Gillen needed her in this state for his stories.
    At least it's appearing to not be another "grrrrrrrr Phoenix = bad, Jean is for shipping only" story like Resurrection.

The next time I have to hear about how Jean's stories and powers aren't hers and are bad for her to identify with for totally-not-sexist reasons will be too soon.

Now and forever. Until they let someone say otherwise (probably in two months lol).

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apechei View Post
    Can I just express my disappointment with Rachel not showing any care when MR said that she tried to sacrifice the Phoenix? She asked about the WHR, they got informed, and Sinister Doug showed way more emotions lol
    I feel that Rachel's reactions to the WHR scenario will play out in X-Men Forever #2 and it's a shame that all these books are disjointed. It makes people wonder why characters, like Rachel, aren't reacting like we would expect but the likelihood is that Rachel had long reacted to this already and likely how/went she signed on with Xaviers plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Love how Gillen is hammering the point home: “Now and forever.” ������

Mother Righteous said, “I have a point to make: I tried to sacrifice a primal force—the sum and substance of all that lives.” And yet, Jean is still supremely alive, undergoing a regenerative process beyond anyone’s scope of understanding. ☝️����

Also, as I wrote on Twitter:

Mine is being delivered on Monday!

Much as I LOVE Jean and Phoenix, I hope we don’t just get a dues ex machina ending to it all, much as Phoenix is supremely powerful.

Anyone else think it might end with death of Phoenix, we’ve already been told Phoenix is dying (which in itself makes no sense as she dies to be reborn), which is why future solicits show Jean in her current uniform with no Phoenix emblem anywhere?

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    Much as I LOVE Jean and Phoenix, I hope we don’t just get a dues ex machina ending to it all, much as Phoenix is supremely powerful.

Anyone else think it might end with death of Phoenix, we’ve already been told Phoenix is dying (which in itself makes no sense as she dies to be reborn), which is why future solicits show Jean in her current uniform with no Phoenix emblem anywhere?
    I don't really think it would be a deus ex machinia the way things are turning out. Part of the plot of Forever centers around how to get the Phoenix back in action and the last cover even hints at Hope having to sacrifice herself. Plus the final solicit hints that the outcome hints at the final battle ultimately being decided at who can make the right choice. Given what past comics say this individual is hinted to be Moira.

I don't know if the Phoenix is really going to die at the end. Maybe the force will rest in the White Hot Room after the battle with Enigma but I hope Jean rejoins her fellow mutants on Earth. It's a curious choice on why throughout Fall of X Jean is wearing her standard superhero uniform rather than a Phoenix one.

Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post

It doesnt appear like that will be the case. Despite Gillen taking his time to uild up the Phoenix, he is also building this up as a true team effort. No one part can take down the Dominion/Enigma alone. Jean herself is nothing without the rest doing the legwork right now as she has been incapacitated for months

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

To me, Rachel asking about how things were going in the White Hot Room, was her way of asking about Jean/Phoenix. Maybe it was too emotionally raw to ask about Jean specifically, considering they likely know that she is still dying.

Besides, Rachel knows first hand that you can't keep a Phoenix down. Of course this time might be a bit different with the possibility of the Phoenix and the White Hot Room being destroyed altogether. But I'm sure Rachel has faith that things are going to turn around.