Page 66 of 97 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

I thought the episode was great. I kinda wish we got more of the real Jean, but the bits we got were incredible. The way she showed up like Jesus to cleanse the "Inferno"? Plus her psychic form and her mental "battle" with Madelyne were amazing. I know she fainted a bit, but in this case it was understandable considering she was physically debilitated and traumatized, without being able to fully control her powers. But they let her be competent and leave the fainting for after the job was done, which is the most important thing for me. Her iconic backstory being included was also nice. Her moment with Logan was sweet.

Madelyne's story in general was pretty good, they managed to make her feel sympathetic without villainizing Scott which was a good thing. They managed to evoke her and Jean's battle in the original event and also their reconciliation. It's kinda unfortunate that they did the whole story in just one episode, cause it was definetely a bit rushed, but if we accept that restriction they did the best they could. The Inferno being to show the X-Men their own fears was a clever idea, the horror visuals were on point. Plus Maddie got a damn magical girl transformation, anime laugh, and her design was incredible. The Madelyne Pryor name coming out of nowhere in the end was really awkward though.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Loved episode 3!

This is how you take someone off the table, introduce a mystery, all the while giving them agency, I couldn't have asked for a better showing. Gillen, X-men Anime, and WATX take notes! In one episode balancing a variety of themes, stories, and development. Jean wasn't lost in the story, we got a fundamental understanding of her insights, demonstrations of her abilities and capabilites, and in the end Jean was responsible for her OWN story as was Madelyne. No one saved them, they needed to save themselves.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

X-Men Forever #3 variant cover has Jean in a Black and Silver (or White) Phoenix costume.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    X-Men Forever #3 variant cover has Jean in a Black and Silver (or White) Phoenix costume.
    you know you cant write that without posting the image

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Think its part of a series of covers with characters in black and white honoring Spiderman's symbiote costume.

^^^^^ Thanks, I love it!

From that Marvel Multiverse RPG:

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Xmen - Jean
    Avengers - Captain America
    Guardians - Star Lord
    Young Avengers - America Chavez
    Team Spider - Spider-Gwen
    Dr. Strange

what an interesting assortment of characters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Think its part of a series of covers with characters in black and white honoring Spiderman's symbiote costume.

Terrific! I love this look. Beautiful and Powerful Jean.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Loved the third episode a lot. the plot could have been the entire season though. They have put sooooo much into 30 minutes and the pacing was far to quick. But I feel it worked somehow. I still think it would have been a good idea to spend some quality time with the new baby before sending the child into the future. It did not left any emotion punch. I feel like everyone was ready to ship the child into the future as fast as possible. lol

Just concerned for casual fans of the X-Men. Can you really understand this series without knowing the entire X-Men canon?!
    I disagree.

Not everyone loves a clone plot and Madelyne’s original story did not really have much substance for it to begin with like the Phoenix Saga did, beyond what Scott and Sinister did to her. A lot of Inferno happened without Maddie and the side-characters of Limbo were not at all interesting.

The best I could see if an ongoing plot of us believing Maddie is Jean and then reveal at the end of the season she isn’t Jean. Clone plots get to be hit and miss in that aspect when all you really need to do to get Maddie’s character across is that Scott chose Jean over Madelyne and that Sinister made her a clone of Jean Grey. I can see at best a two episode arc of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I thought the episode was great. I kinda wish we got more of the real Jean, but the bits we got were incredible. The way she showed up like Jesus to cleanse the "Inferno"? Plus her psychic form and her mental "battle" with Madelyne were amazing. I know she fainted a bit, but in this case it was understandable considering she was physically debilitated and traumatized, without being able to fully control her powers. But they let her be competent and leave the fainting for after the job was done, which is the most important thing for me. Her iconic backstory being included was also nice. Her moment with Logan was sweet.

Madelyne's story in general was pretty good, they managed to make her feel sympathetic without villainizing Scott which was a good thing. They managed to evoke her and Jean's battle in the original event and also their reconciliation. It's kinda unfortunate that they did the whole story in just one episode, cause it was definetely a bit rushed, but if we accept that restriction they did the best they could. The Inferno being to show the X-Men their own fears was a clever idea, the horror visuals were on point. Plus Maddie got a damn magical girl transformation, anime laugh, and her design was incredible. The Madelyne Pryor name coming out of nowhere in the end was really awkward though.
    The Scott thing was well-done. In contrast to the comics, where Scott at the very least knew who Madelyne was as a person, Scott knew Madelyne as Jean in the cartoon. It’s very understandable for him to be so unsure. He was still wrong for not taking her side, showing the flaw in his character, while also understanding why he was so hesitant with Madelyne. It’s a complex that no one deals with normally.

So how did Jean get free? Did Sinister just let her go bc it really feels odd that she just woke up and managed to find her way to the X-mansion as if he wouldnt have actual precautions to prevent that

Ultimate Member

Maybe Sinister did it on purpose, allowing her to escape so that the X-Men would be to busy with who is the real Jean to protect the baby.