Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Do we think Jean can still hold an entire psyche in her mind...?
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

BANNED

Oop Nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    when she did it the last time with Xavier her power signature was still pink throughout the entire event. She did not seem to tap into her Phoenix powers. At least we could interpret it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    I agree with you on the likelihood...but they've proven they can rein things in when they want to, for example, the truncated and very well defined(in some cases, re-defined) Omega Mutant list at the start of this era.

They've proven they can expand (Cerebro went from "Find My Mutant" to the backbone of mutant Resurrection), and make HUGE retcons out of no where (Moira).

I just want it to be satisfying wherever it goes...this era has been full of definitions (the ever present Data Pages)...so if Jean/Phoenix/WHR just full on mysticism (as opposed to simply inspiration or a framing device for certain concepts), I personally will be disappointed
    Except that definition doesn't even mean what most fans think it means. For a long time the only mutant classifications we had was Alphas and Betas, with Alphas being basically superhero(or supervillian) level, and Betas as those with little or no powers. That changed with Uncanny X-Men #208, which had a Nimrod Sentinel show Rachel Summers as 'Omega Class' with a stated unknown upper limit on her abilities. We also later got classes one-through five at some point, with one a low-level Beta and five a top-level Alpha.

That changed with the first X-Men Forever miniseries, with Xavier declaring Jean and Bobby as both Omegas, those with no set upper limit on their abilities. This dovetailed with explanations by Prosh showing that some few mutants had the potential to evolve into Cosmic Abstracts, even supplant the existing ones. Later other such mutants were named such as Franklin Richards and I believe Mr. Immortal, which would give them the ultimate potential to evolve into Eternity(Jean), Oblivion(Bobby), Infinity(Franklin) and Death(Mr. Immortal). This matched up with word out of Marvel about plans that would have Bobby end the Marvel Universe and Jean create a new one.

Then Marvel stared using Omega-level as a term for top Alphas, the new 'class five'. Emma Frost was an Omega-level telepath, Eva Bell had near-omega-level time-travel abilities, Mathew Malloy was a beyond-Omega-level reality warper. And fans started trying to conflate the two, to be able to say their favorites were Omegas like Jean and Bobby.

Hickmans then defined an Omega mutant as someone whose "dominant power is deemed to register -- or reach -- an undefinable upper limit of that power's specific classification." Hickman list of Omegas including Jean Grey and Iceman but also Legion, Proteus, Storm and Magneto among others as 'Omega mutants'. All powerful mutants, and certainly at the top of their respective abilities, but not in the same way Jean and Bobby(and Rachel) were Omegas(Rachel didn't even make the new list, which should have told fans something). Hickman's Omegas were basically super-top-tier Alphas, the peaks in their fields, but not cosmic in nature or potential. But fans were too busy patting themselves on the back that their favorites were now official Omegas, or complaining that their favorites were just as powerful or more powerful and deserved to be Omegas too, to even notice the distinctions.

Then a different Nimrod attacked the Hellfire Gala, and referred to Jean and Bobby as 'Omega One' and 'Omega Two', which nodded nicely to both a Nimrod first coining the term with Rachel, and with Jean and Bobby's special relationship and unique destinies from X-Men Forever.

Hickman didn't clear up anything, he just muddied the waters even more with conflating a top power level with an open-ended potential to become a cosmic abstract.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    when she did it the last time with Xavier her power signature was still pink throughout the entire event. She did not seem to tap into her Phoenix powers. At least we could interpret it that way.
    Are you referring to New X-men or did she do it some other time? Because if so, she clearly exhibited he Phoenix effect so she defiitely tapped into it then

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

If we consider the current definition of an Omega, given that she is an Omega telepath, yes. I don't think we even have to argue the previous canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Are you referring to New X-men or did she do it some other time? Because if so, she clearly exhibited he Phoenix effect so she defiitely tapped into it then
    Yes. I'm pretty sure she is showing the Phoenix effect only when she starts attacking Cassandra Nova and not earlier. When she stores Charles psyche her powers stays pink...Guess, it also does not really matter.
    Last edited by Exodus; 01-17-2024 at 06:52 AM.

Grinning Soul, I’m glad you liked it. ��

As for whether Jean can hold an entire psyche within her own, duh. Yes! That’s made clear this week.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Most of Cerebra is filled with smoky pink energy, and around her head is pink....only the bottom panel around her hands, there's some orange flame...when she is finished, Cerebra again is filled with pink energy and her eyes are glowing pink.

Also, Jean tells Beast she has been pumping her brains not for a fight, but that she has been making space in her head...to me that points to it being her natural ability...and as Xavier remarked after Jean transferred her psyche into the White Queen, Jean is a telepath of "intricate complexity"

As for whether Jean can hold an entire psyche within her own, duh. Yes! That’s made clear this week.
    not all of us have their comics so early. :-p

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Yes. I'm pretty sure she is showing the Phoenix effect only when she starts attacking Cassandra Nova and not earlier. When she stores Charles psyche her powers stays pink...Guess, it also does not really matter.

Just out of curiosity, then.

She flares up in New X-Men #120, while protecting the school. Her pink psyonic signture is also represented in the scene.

When she says the famous, "Die, Charles. I'm going to catch you." in New X-Men #125, she has the fiery effects around her. But she's also using her pink psyonic signature at first, then after.

I'd say in both scenes, the art reflects the idea that when she's exerting herself, she goes into Phoenix territory.

EDITED: Sorry, Omega_DCD, I only saw your post after I posted mine.

Thanks again. :)
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 01-17-2024 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Just out of curiosity, then.

She flares up in New X-Men #120, while protecting the school. Her pink psyonic signture is also represented in the scene.

When she says the famous, "Die, Charles. I'm going to catch you." in New X-Men #125, she has the fiery effects around her. But she's also using her pink psyonic signature at first, then after.

I'd say in both scenes, the art reflects the idea that when she's exerting herself, she goes into Phoenix territory.

EDITED: Sorry, Omega_DCD, I only saw your post after I posted mine.

Thanks again.
    No worries :-)

I agree...rather than a separate power, it's moreso a power indicator of sorts

The pages. There’s another page preceding these. This tweet is already at over one thousand likes. Maybe someone can post the pages in this thread later. The implications here are perfect:

”I am the fire.”

https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...22475250114809

Also, the callback in X-Men #30 (2024) to Jean’s ability to absorb and contain another person’s psyche entirely is just…🤌🏻

Of course! Definitely!

By-the-by, I like your new/"old" Jean image, from the time between Phoenix Saga and Dark Phoenix Saga.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

The pages. There’s another page preceding these. This tweet is already at over one thousand likes. Maybe someone can post the pages in this thread later. The implications here are perfect:

”I am the fire.”

https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...22475250114809

Also, the callback in X-Men #30 (2024) to Jean’s ability to absorb and contain another person’s psyche entirely is just…����

Yes, and Jean was bleeding out of her eyes, ears and nose from the infecting Nanite Sentinels which were destroying her white cells and she was burning up with fever too!

Our gal is Super-Tough!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!