Page 51 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It is...she can levitate and fly, she doesn't need to run or kick.
    Recalling the excitement over Emma's everyday platform footwear in the Morrison/Quitely era. The response from the creatives was akin to "we accept all the wondrous impossible things these characters can do...just add walking in heels to the list.

Also recalling the gobsmacked reaction to the Claremont period that tried to morph Marvel Girl Rachel into a character that couldn't walk in heels after she'd been walking around in fetish gear for decades prior...

Last edited by Thirteen; 03-13-2024 at 03:54 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Yikes. If you're going to make an update of a classic costume you really need to make sure it's better than the original, and that definitely isn't. They should have either just used the original, or invited whoever designed the Phoenix Five to make an updated version instead. Oooh, or make a green and gold version of the Revolution Phoenix costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Recalling the excitement over Emma's everyday platform footwear in the Morrison/Quitely era. The response from the creatives was akin to "we accept all the wondrous impossible things these characters can do...just add walking in heels to the list.

Also recalling the gobsmacked reaction to the Claremont period that tried to morph Marvel Girl Rachel into a character that couldn't walk in heels after she'd been walking around in fetish gear for decades prior...

Hahaha now imagine having to fight a sentinel in heels. ����*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    Whatever became of this image? I've seen no follow up or even the original image on Dauterman's Instagram or Twitter. What is it for anyway?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's his rendition of the Phoenix redesign below, which I have a hunch he designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Heart View Post
    Well this is a very interesting cover. I'm really digging this new outfit.

Phew! I was itching to get off work to talk about this. First, about the new design: I do love it even if I prefer a sleeker, headpiece-less look. Also, as I noted in my previous post, I don't think this art style—it's Alex Ross by way of Felipe Massafera—favors most comic book designs. However, I can see Dauterman's rendition killing it and being praised to the high heavens. In either case, I am definitely pleased with and looking forward to seeing it drawn by Dauterman, Silva, et al.

Also, the synopsis for Fall of the House of X #4 is as follows:

MY ALLY, MY ENEMY! They say a wounded animal can be the most dangerous kind of animal to face. As the fight between the mutants and Orchis reaches a deadly pitch, a startling revelation rocks the X-Men to their core. The two series that are one come together in one horrible betrayal as the Krakoan Age nears its conclusion!

https://prhcomics.com/book/?isbn=759...itional_covers
    I wonder: Is Jean the "wounded animal" and does her rise constitute "a startling revelation [that] rocks the X-Men to their core"? From the summary above, it's clear that Fall and Rise of the Powers of X are finally converging, so obviously, Jean's climactic reemergence is going to reverberate throughout the books. Then again, the wounded animal could represent mutants as a whole, and the startling revelation could be tied to something Xavier and/or Moira do.

In either case, how exciting is this? Whether contemplating Gillen's plans for Jean in Rise and X-Men Forever or the reported Phoenix solo series that's coming, one thing that's been wonderful to behold is the sense of awe and mystery with which Jean has been regarded. Could the writing be better and more substantial as a whole? Absolutely. (Except for Simonson. She was pitch-perfect.) But am I pissed that the writers have only hinted at what Jean is undergoing to build up to this? Absolutely not.

I love that Jean has been regarded thus far as a grand, unsolvable, contradictory, multitudinous mystery, which is how she should always be regarded. Even Claremont did that when he had Death declare that Phoenix both "came from" and *to* Jean. And the fact that Jean's arc has culminated and is culminating in the writer's paying homage to Claremont's vision of her is so perfect it makes me instantly forgive whatever else I might otherwise criticize. Frankly, I'm too giddy to care to criticize.

In other news, some new stills of Jean (or Madelyne?) in X-Men '97:

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I’m referring to some fans that need a female character to always look “fierce” and appear as if her hair is being blown gloriously by a wind machine. It seems that some forget that Jean Grey and, pretty much, the majority of all female characters are warriors. Who are constantly in battle and surviving wave after wave of life threatening events. Why would anyone in their right minds want to go into battle wearing heels? Now… if she’s having a night out in the town or out of battle then by all means dress up and be fashionable.
    I can give you many reasons, but I will give you two.

1) You don’t need to be into fashion to recognize that wearing clothing is more than function. It’s also self-expression. It only takes a little bit of critical thinking and awareness of Jean’s history to know what kind of character she has always been. I refer you back to exhibit A where she pirouettes in front of Lorna which is proceeded by decades of going shopping with Storm, coming up with her own costumes, and has usually punctuated an outfit choice with what her mindset has been, barring maybe newer eras starting in X-Men. Jean rewrote her Marvel Girl out in DPS to die literally or figuratively as Marvel Girl, wearing the X-Factor uniform to go undercover as mutant saviors while also disguising themselves as mutant exterminators, Phoenix to signal her evolution back when she and Scott temporarily left the X-Men for Scott to heal, and the Revolution Era where Claremont wanted to sink in to everyone that Jean was Phoenix.

Big surprise: Jean subscribes to self-expression by what she wears.

Fun Fact: Jean Grey is the only Phoenix that has ever associated colors as phases of the Phoenix. No other Phoenix host does that. Only Jean! Even when Excalibur had a mini-panic attack at Rachel wearing Dark Phoenix colors, Rachel responded that it was out of pure preference. Meanwhile, Logan instantly recognizes for Jean that colors meant something in context to the Phoenix and to Jean, which is why she changed her outfit to Dark Phoenix colors as a signal to Logan in Endsong.

2) She is an Omega-Level Psychic. Why the hell would Jean worry about something she could physically do that her telekinesis can’t already do? Plus, have you not seen MatPat’s video on heels as a weapon? Those things are lethal.

I remember when her X-Men Red costume was revealed. Some were complaining about her having a head gear and armor like pads. Forgetting that all her powers are mental and that her head is quite literally the most important part of her arsenal. It made sense. Personally speaking… and to each their own I suppose… I don’t need my female characters to appear as if they are a POP singer wearing a sequined leotard, long nails and hair extensions.
    Counterpoint: If there was a strict rule for how a character was supposed to dress, then there would be no variation in costumes. You seem to try to use the shoulder pads and headgear as if that the head gear actually protected Jean or that the shoulder pads would do anything for Jean.

I don’t even need to point to anything outside of superhero media to note how utterly ridiculous going for such strict ruling on costume designing is, as if a crucial part of Jean’s character was always function or necessity. Jean has never been that sort of character that went with function over self-expression, barring maybe the material it’s made out of, which even then is a bit of a moot point. Psylocke I can understand. Kitty I understand. In some cases, I can even understand Storm because an intrinsic part of her character is to hide certain tools from her thriving days. Jean Grey, a character so over-reliant on her powers that even when she loses them, she either runs or one-punches her foes is beyond me in ever understanding because it makes no sense for Jean’s character. I am not saying Jean is stupid by any means, but it’s never necessary for Jean and I can’t see Jean thinking in terms of what will happen when she can’t use her powers. Because why would she?!

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    I can give you many reasons, but I will give you two.

1) You don’t need to be into fashion to recognize that wearing clothing is more than function. It’s also self-expression. It only takes a little bit of critical thinking and awareness of Jean’s history to know what kind of character she has always been. I refer you back to exhibit A where she pirouettes in front of Lorna which is proceeded by decades of going shopping with Storm, coming up with her own costumes, and has usually punctuated an outfit choice with what her mindset has been, barring maybe newer eras starting in X-Men. Jean rewrote her Marvel Girl out in DPS to die literally or figuratively as Marvel Girl, wearing the X-Factor uniform to go undercover as mutant saviors while also disguising themselves as mutant exterminators, Phoenix to signal her evolution back when she and Scott temporarily left the X-Men for Scott to heal, and the Revolution Era where Claremont wanted to sink in to everyone that Jean was Phoenix.

Fun Fact: Jean Grey is the only Phoenix that has ever associated colors as phases of the Phoenix. No other Phoenix host does that. Only Jean! Even when Excalibur had a mini-panic attack at Rachel wearing Dark Phoenix colors, Rachel responded that it was out of pure preference. Meanwhile, Logan instantly recognizes for Jean that colors meant something in context to the Phoenix and to Jean, which is why she changed her outfit to Dark Phoenix colors as a signal to Logan in Endsong.

2) She is an Omega-Level Psychic. Why the hell would Jean worry about something she could physically do that her telekinesis can’t already do? Plus, have you not seen MatPat’s video on heels as a weapon? Those things are lethal.

Counterpoint: If there was a strict rule for how a character was supposed to dress, then there would be no variation in costumes. You seem to try to use the shoulder pads and headgear as if that the head gear actually protected Jean or that the shoulder pads would do anything for Jean.

I don’t even need to point to anything outside of superhero media to note how utterly ridiculous going for such strict ruling on costume designing is, as if a crucial part of Jean’s character was always function or necessity. Jean has never been that sort of character that went with function over self-expression, barring maybe the material it’s made out of, which even then is a bit of a moot point. Psylocke I can understand. Kitty I understand. In some cases, I can even understand Storm because an intrinsic part of her character is to hide certain tools from her thriving days. Jean Grey, a character so over-reliant on her powers that even when she loses them, she either runs or one-punches her foes is beyond me in ever understanding because it makes no sense for Jean’s character. I am not saying Jean is stupid by any means, but it’s never necessary for Jean and I can’t see Jean thinking in terms of what will happen when she can’t use her powers. Because why would she?!

An entire thesis assuming that I have limited awareness or knowledge of a character that I’ve been obsessed with since I was a child down to implying that I use limited critical thinking and that some how I’m challenging folks from having self expressions just because I voiced how impractical wearing heels in battle is. Gotcha.
    Last edited by Rebel Heart; 03-13-2024 at 06:41 PM.

PHOENIX: RESURRECTION gave us a Black/Red Phoenix. We got the Grey Phoenix recently didn't we?

I'm waiting for the peak mashup of her pink form and Phoenix!
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

I don’t think it was that Rachel didn’t know how to walk in heels (as stated her red hound costume had heels)—it’s just that she happened to be in new shoes and a heel broke. It was an embarrassing moment. Happens to everyone, even a powerful telekinetic like Rachel. She can create a black hole and turn herself into a dinosaur, but she will still break a heel and trip down the stairs. It humanizes powerful characters like Jean and Rachel when they have moments like that.

The Red Dragon

Jean should be in heels because they’re sexy and look better. We all want Jean too look her best. Shoulder pads and head socks arent it. At least give her heels. End of story.

Are we really worried about functionality given her powers?
    Last edited by Tank; 03-13-2024 at 07:19 PM.

An entire thesis assuming that I have limited awareness or knowledge of a character that I’ve been obsessed with since I was a child down to implying that I use limited critical thinking and that some how I’m challenging folks from having self expressions just because I voiced how impractical wearing heels in battle is. Gotcha.
    There is a difference between not having more critical thinking and not using your critical thinking. I was assuming the latter. It’s up to you to determine which is which. And you do have limited awareness of the character if you jump the gun on practicality as if it were an intrinsic part of Jean’s character.

I ain’t making statements about you as a fan. I am making a statement about your assertion of the necessity of going for realistic function in a fictional art medium that tends to pick and choose where they put functionality. If you were offended by it, I’m sorry. But I don’t take back any of what I said prior because, at the end of it all, your stance has not been convincing in the slightest.
    Last edited by PyroFN; 03-13-2024 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    PHOENIX: RESURRECTION gave us a Black/Red Phoenix. We got the Grey Phoenix recently didn't we?

I'm waiting for the peak mashup of her pink form and Phoenix!
    Underrated color choice, though I probably would have gone less neon with how it would clash with Jean’s hair color. Maybe a darker pink or a more purple color would have been better? I am just grateful it’s something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Jean should be in heels because they’re sexy and look better. We all want Jean too look her best. Shoulder pads and head socks arent it. At least give her heels. End of story.

Are we really worried about functionality given her powers?
    I guess? It was never a thing even back in the 70’s where Jean was having a Phoenix costume that attached to her body like a liquid suit as described by Scott, yet she still chose heels because she was going more into exploring the sexual aspects of herself as a woman, which meant less bunchier outfits that showed off more of her body.

And going beyond superhero comics, we have all sorts of creativity in the realm of costume design. It’s not like superhero mediums that Jean is a part of falls into more realistic realm like it does for Black Widow or Batgirl. Heck, even Catwoman who does fall into that realm goes with heels as a display of her sexuality and femininity. It’s a part of her character. Jean’s falls in the girlier aspects unapologetically, which has never held her back from being powerful or serious as a character.

Nowadays, manga and anime as a medium is more popular than it has ever been before and it is far more out there in designs and costuming. But they just have fun with it because creativity and imagination in fiction allows for it. There are no standards comics have to adhere to here, yet we should worry about those parameters? I personally don’t think so!

Last edited by PyroFN; 03-13-2024 at 08:40 PM.

There is a difference between not having more critical thinking and not using your critical thinking. I was assuming the latter. It’s up to you to determine which is which. And you do have limited awareness of the character if you jump the gun on practicality as if it were an intrinsic part of Jean’s character.

I ain’t making statements about you as a fan. I am making a statement about your assertion of the necessity of going for realistic function in a fictional art medium that tends to pick and choose where they put functionality. If you were offended by it, I’m sorry. But I don’t take back any of what I said prior because, at the end of it all, your stance has not been convincing in the slightest.
    Not in any way shape or form offended but I do appreciate your apology. My opinion wasn’t to convince anyone about anything since there wasn’t even a discussion or debate in progress regarding heels and whether or not characters should have more of a realistic approach to their uniform prior to said opinion. Like I said…It was simply an opinion. An opinion that I even provided valid, at least I like to think so, examples as to why I felt the way that I did.
    Apparently, my opinion triggered a few to throw a few accusatory and snarky comments my way. Instead of just asking me what I meant by my opinion for clarity and to avoid any misunderstandings, it was instead decided to just assume and rebuttal by sharing the few incorrect narratives about me.
    A few of the reactions were a bit…weird… seeing as how no one here is her stylist or personal shopper to take my opinion so personally.
    Situations like this remind me as to why I usually just post a picture or 2 and go on my merry way. I love having discussions about my favorite character/hobbies but I lose all kinds of interest when others seem to have the inability to have a discussion without making it into something personal.
    I can go on and further explaining my point but honestly… and from what I’ve seen today… someone is going to take what I said and project more negativity on to me and it’s just not worth it. I’ll just retreat and go back to barely joining in on the discussions.
    Last edited by Rebel Heart; 03-13-2024 at 09:09 PM.

Well this is a very interesting cover. I'm really digging this new outfit.

I dont like it. im gonna need to see another artist draw that bc this aint it

Like everyone, the first thing I thought of was “dragonzord power!” But I don’t really hate it. It’s definitely giving fashion esque.