Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I think that I would like to buy this cover. Looks better than the main cover, in my opinion.
    Whatever tickles your fancy. Sadly, I never realized that Hitch had become so unpopular. I mean, what happened?

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Popping up with unrelated content, but I've been sorting out my Warren-related DeviantArt's fav folder. Literally some hundreds of pages of Warren arts, which I will not spam here. But I had to share this. By know, you should know how much obsessed I am with this concept.
    Insanely old, so it's likely you've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Whatever tickles your fancy. Sadly, I never realized that Hitch had become so unpopular. I mean, what happened?
    I don't remember artists unless the most "recognizable" ones (such as Noto, or Clayton Crain) so I can't answer that.
    Frankly, I don't dislike the main cover. I have an issue with Archangel's face, I don't like the angle, but I know that specific pose is popular with Warren. And too many Warrens are too little for us to appreciate. All in all, I think it has everything a cover should have - namely, some relation to the content of the story. And, judging by Nocenti's words, perhaps that cover might be one of the most "cover related to the history inside" cover we've seen in recent years.
    And, gasp, not only the main cover, but Noto's variant will be properly related to the content of the story, can you believe it?!

Speaking of the scans you shared. I never liked that issue's Warren - the unshaven beard irked me, I think, although it would make sense, in the context of the story, that Warren had an unkept look.
    Also, something bothered me about the full figure of Warren walking near Xavier (bottom left), can't say why, must be something around the shoulders or the cut of the tshirt. Whatever, it's me being picky. And, to be fair, Warren got broad shoulders and slim waist/bottom half, which is spot on for his specific mutation (strong muscles to make him fly, lean from belly and below - not unlike a swimmer)
    But the compositions of the pages is good indeed IMHO, it's efficient in telling the story.
    Last edited by Hakka84; 02-23-2024 at 09:47 PM.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

[center]Whatever tickles your fancy. Sadly, I never realized that Hitch had become so unpopular. I mean, what happened?
    I like the first cover also, I just like the Noto variant better.

I thought that Hitch only did creator owned projects now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I like bringing back the OG Archangel color scheme.

I don't care for the original colors as much. Sometimes the costume's colors look like blue and red, and sometimes they look blue and magenta.

The black and white and blue and white versions look less garish to me. Just my preference.

But, it may be time to update the old Archangel costume anyhow. The original one goes all the way back to the 1980's, and even the black/white version is getting up there in age.
    It may be time for a new costume that new readers might like better.

Sorry that this wasn't included in my previous post. I thought that I hit the little multi-quote button, but I guess not.

I like bringing back the OG Archangel color scheme.
    Same here. Truly distinctive, if nothing else...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

But, it may be time to update the old Archangel costume anyhow. The original one goes all the way back to the 1980's, and even the black/white version is getting up there in age.
    It may be time for a new costume that new readers might like better.
    Usually I'd agree. But the specific pattern of Archangel's costume (=the parts painted purple/magenta) is so good that it would be hard for me to accept a new costume. My personal opinion is that Archangel's costume is one of those well-designed costumes that can stand the times. I understand why someone might get bored or wish an update, though.
    I just don't see a way to make it work.
    Some classics get the "update" treatment, and it works. An artist finds a way to take the classic and make some modification or re-interpretation that works. I think Storm is an example. But even Cyke I think. But, both the examples I made are well-drawn costumes but "simple" in their own ways, so it's easy to upgrade them without completely rework the costume from scratch. Archangel's is so detailed, with the pattern I mentioned... plus, he's a man, so you can't play with cuts, necklines, naked arms and the usual.
    What I mean is that there's no way to upgrade Archangel's without butchering it.
    Coming up with a new one. I think it's like trying to come up with a new costume for Wolverine (with all due respect to Logan). Archangel's is, IMHO, this, and I can't picture anything different for Archangel to wear. Unless we're speaking a generic Warren's costume - Warren did rock his classic blue/white+halo with the metallic wings in the 90s.
    But I like it that Marvel established that Warren changes costume (a new mutation it seems! AHAH) when he switches from feathers to metal.
    (Speaking of "ability to change costume" - in Astonishing, when he's in London with Betsy, Bishop and they fight the Shadow King, he strips out chunks of skins like Husk to reveal the Archangel's costume under it. WTF? No wonder that at times I forget the blue/magenta is a costume when I re-read his first X-Factor's pages - the digital recolour/restoration of the digital pages doesn0t help: there's literally no difference between the colour of the costume and Warren's face skin, making the costume look as if he's running around naked with purple body paint)

Anyway. The X-Force's one is perfect, the silver reflects the metallic shine of the wings, the black reminds the darkness, makes him more "believable" as a bringer of death than the colorful 80s version. He looks like a weapon, though.
    The 80s is more a "superhero" costume, I agree, and works better in any X-Men capacity (if there's a place for Archangel to play in the sun with X-Men, I mean). The black/silver one gives Warren a more "dangerous" look and should be reserved more to a solo mission or a darker title in which he's part of a team that moves in the shadows (a la X-Force, or Dark X-Men).
    I mean, it's telling that Archangel was given the 80s costume during X-Corp, but when sh*t hit the fan (HoX / X of Swords / Dark X-Men), Warren was given the black costume instead.

*longwinded Hakka is longwinded. Bear with me. ç_ç*
    Last edited by Hakka84; 02-24-2024 at 04:56 PM.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Same here. Truly distinctive, if nothing else...

For sure. The black and gray X-Force one was dope when he was on that team with everyone else sporting the same colors, but now that everyone has gone back to individual styles/colors it’s time for Warren to do the same. Much more distinctive in the blue and hot pink IMO.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

For sure. The black and gray X-Force one was dope when he was on that team with everyone else sporting the same colors, but now that everyone has gone back to individual styles/colors it’s time for Warren to do the same. Much more distinctive in the blue and hot pink IMO.
    Nah, the color is magenta and not hot pink. It has a purplish look to it and isn't bright enough to be hot pink.

The magenta color also symbolizes a lot of the negative traits that Archangel had at the time. Irritable, short tempered, quick to anger, frustration, and having a hard time dealing with problems are all associated with the color Magenta, among others, and Warren showed all of these things after he was first turned into a a Horseman by Apocalypse.

Magenta is a color that symbolizes spiritual growth, and possibly helps connect you to some form of higher power. That sort of thing fits with Angel's code name and religious imagery.

If your the type of person that likes to look into how colors supposedly help you, magenta is thought to help you when you are dealing with identity issues. Especially if you are trying to find yourself spiritually. Archangel definitely had identity issues after becoming a Horseman. I guess that his spiritual higher power was Apocalypse.

Just some things that I looked up.
    I don't really have much training in art, so I look around for the meaning of colors and symbols and such stuff when characters get new costumes, because many writers and artists seem to put emphasis on what colors say about a character when they design an outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Popping up with unrelated content, but I've been sorting out my Warren-related DeviantArt's fav folder. Literally some hundreds of pages of Warren arts, which I will not spam here. But I had to share this. By know, you should know how much obsessed I am with this concept.
    Insanely old, so it's likely you've seen it.

I don't remember artists unless the most "recognizable" ones (such as Noto, or Clayton Crain) so I can't answer that.
    Frankly, I don't dislike the main cover. I have an issue with Archangel's face, I don't like the angle, but I know that specific pose is popular with Warren. And too many Warrens are too little for us to appreciate. All in all, I think it has everything a cover should have - namely, some relation to the content of the story. And, judging by Nocenti's words, perhaps that cover might be one of the most "cover related to the history inside" cover we've seen in recent years.
    And, gasp, not only the main cover, but Noto's variant will be properly related to the content of the story, can you believe it?!

Speaking of the scans you shared. I never liked that issue's Warren - the unshaven beard irked me, I think, although it would make sense, in the context of the story, that Warren had an unkept look.
    Also, something bothered me about the full figure of Warren walking near Xavier (bottom left), can't say why, must be something around the shoulders or the cut of the tshirt. Whatever, it's me being picky. And, to be fair, Warren got broad shoulders and slim waist/bottom half, which is spot on for his specific mutation (strong muscles to make him fly, lean from belly and below - not unlike a swimmer)
    But the compositions of the pages is good indeed IMHO, it's efficient in telling the story.

I've spent some time looking for this pic since you posted it and can not find it. Could you tell me were you found it? It isn't old to me. And it's always cool to see fan art of Archangel with his kids. If there's more I would like to see it.

And don't worry about sharing pictures in this thread. Most appreciation threads post pictures of their character in them. It's not spamming unless you do something like three a day or so.

I've spent some time looking for this pic since you posted it and can not find it. Could you tell me were you found it? It isn't old to me. And it's always cool to see fan art of Archangel with his kids. If there's more I would like to see it.

And don't worry about sharing pictures in this thread. Most appreciation threads post pictures of their character in them. It's not spamming unless you do something like three a day or so.
    Sure! It's from Cristian Santos. I found it on his DeviantArt account, but he likely has other socials.
    Color version. He also posted the inked version. He has other few Warrens (and even Warren/Betsy) in his gallery.
    So far, I haven't found any other Warren+Children art. Too bad.

For those interested. As said, I've been revamping my DeviantArt Warren-only favourites folder. Still on the works (so perhaps wait a couple of weeks - hopefully I'll be done by then), but if you want to see only fanarts that feature Warren (either solo, with other characters and team shots), you can pay a visit or come once in a while to see if I found something new with Warren during my scourings of the site.
    Last edited by Hakka84; 02-26-2024 at 08:26 PM.

Sure! It's from Cristian Santos. I found it on his DeviantArt account, but he likely has other socials.
    Color version. He also posted the inked version. He has other few Warrens (and even Warren/Betsy) in his gallery.
    So far, I haven't found any other Warren+Children art. Too bad.

For those interested. As said, I've been revamping my DeviantArt Warren-only favourites folder. Still on the works (so perhaps wait a couple of weeks - hopefully I'll be done by then), but if you want to see only fanarts that feature Warren (either solo, with other characters and team shots), you can pay a visit or come once in a while to see if I found something new with Warren during my scourings of the site.
    Hey, thanks. I don't know why I couldn't find it before. There are some really good looking pictures of Archangel there. A lot of different versions of the character as well, but the Archangel pictures mostly look better than the regular Angel pics that I have seen so far.

Hey, thanks. I don't know why I couldn't find it before. There are some really good looking pictures of Archangel there. A lot of different versions of the character as well, but the Archangel pictures mostly look better than the regular Angel pics that I have seen so far.
    You're biased for Archy, Thievery. Just admit it.
    (kidding)

Search on Deviantart is abysmal. Immediately after I replied you I tried to search different combination of "emirin" "uriel" "worthington" "x-men" and got results that had nothing to do with it. Literally "worthington" didn't give a Warren in the first pages.
    So it was literally impossible for you to find the art, unless you already know where to look, I fear.

Ultimate Member

Warren needs a fresh start away from an X-Force unit as he's gotten in a rur and he seems to get a bad ending every time.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Warren needs a fresh start away from an X-Force unit as he's gotten in a rur and he seems to get a bad ending every time.
    Technically I'd agree. I'd wish something new for Warren.
    In reality, though, I think Warren has any chance at all to be used if he's Archangel and the writer is a nostalgic of X-Force/Uncanny X-Force. I can't see Warren work without Archangel on a long run - a one shot or a cameo sure, but not more than that. And, as I've said already plenty of time, I can't see any author wanting Warren (fighting as Archangel) in any team that isn't X-Force.
    The only mutant whose literal mission is kill and whose primary mutant "attack" ability is made to kill, and who's allowed to stay in a "we don't kill our enemies" team... is Wolverine.
    Sad but true.

You're biased for Archy, Thievery. Just admit it.
    (kidding)

Search on Deviantart is abysmal. Immediately after I replied you I tried to search different combination of "emirin" "uriel" "worthington" "x-men" and got results that had nothing to do with it. Literally "worthington" didn't give a Warren in the first pages.
    So it was literally impossible for you to find the art, unless you already know where to look, I fear.
    I freely admit that I'm biased to the Archangel version of the character
    Don't worry, I know that your kidding.

When I look for art I type the character's name, the character's comic, and just type art. It get's me to a start. Then you get some pictures to get you started. Or at least sometimes it does. Other times I get a no results for your search found, for some reason. I think that you almost have to know the artist's name to get something specific.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think that we can all agree that Archangel needs a reset, Logan. But I think that the reset will have to come from within an X-Force comic. Almost nothing else ever works for the character long term. It would be nice to get something new, but I really don't see that happening. Look at how badly the X-Corp comic flopped.
    And that's if anything happens at all with the character. He looks to be limbo bound and may need to be lucky just to end the Krakoa X-Men alive.

Technically I'd agree. I'd wish something new for Warren.
    In reality, though, I think Warren has any chance at all to be used if he's Archangel and the writer is a nostalgic of X-Force/Uncanny X-Force. I can't see Warren work without Archangel on a long run - a one shot or a cameo sure, but not more than that. And, as I've said already plenty of time, I can't see any author wanting Warren (fighting as Archangel) in any team that isn't X-Force.
    The only mutant whose literal mission is kill and whose primary mutant "attack" ability is made to kill, and who's allowed to stay in a "we don't kill our enemies" team... is Wolverine.
    Sad but true.
    Yeah, Archangel's best hope of being used looks like it comes from being on an X-Force type team. And it has to be the metal winged version of the character. Just about every time that I have seen the character come up in an interview that talked about him before the metal wings came back the writer or editor talked about how boring the character's powers were. When the guy has the metal wings he gets used more often.

I disagree that the character couldn't be used on a non-X-Force team. The version with the metal wings started out being a member of X-Factor and X-Men. And metal winged version was used on the X-Men team several times after the metal wings came back. There was Fraction's Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Magneto's X-Men. Bad as it was, there was even X-Corp. So the guy can be brought out of X-Force. It just isn't very likely to happen. Especially because of how badly X-Corp bombed.

I know that this talking point has been beaten to death in Archangel's threads, but that's how the character is viewed by people who work at Marvel. They just find the regular version of the character to be boring, for the most part. JD White even went the full distance and said that he would write Angel out of being one of the original X-Men if he could choose one, just because he found his power to fly to be generic and uninteresting.