Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Here is hoping 2024 is kinder to Warren!

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    It's like being handsome. It's part of his mutant powers!
    If you ask him (and me), he got the mutant jackpot: handsome, flies, and he can stress-eat or live on junk-food 24/7 without fearing to build up weight. He doesn't have to go to the gym to stay in shape either.

This should become a signature! It's brilliant. I laughed for a solid minute.

He's alive and enjoying himself, but nobody knows it because the baddies think he's dead so they don't search for him. Win/win.

Not, as far as I can remember. I think he's that light because the bones weight less. Plus, his body doesn't accumulate fat, so he's all "muscle fibres"?
    Nothing about the bones either. Let's all pretend physics don't apply with him.
    But I don't see him "very muscular, even by comic book standards". He's usually built like Scott (and, often Bobby in ice-form). It depends on the ear/artist. During the last 90s (Larocca?) everyone was a body-builder minus Charles. During Mutantopia Warren was healthy-man-who-hits-the-gym standards, for example. In some Uncanny X-Force (during DAS?) he was very lean, so far that his costume was a bit baggy.

Speaking of, the canon width span of his wings is actually too small. Putting aside the actual physics of how a human-shaped body could fly (there's something about proper muscles that a human misses, or that would be bigger than your usual wrestler/body-builder would have), he would need a lot bigger wings to lift himself.

(Now that I think about it, the whole "he doesn't have fat" is treated as canon fact, but I don't recall where it was ever said this. Same for his hollow bones. Or just most of his physical traits/stats/uniqueness)
    I'm pretty sure that I have seen Warren drawn as being taller and more muscular than other characters. One example that I can think of is the cover of Generation M where Warren appeared to lose his powers. But maybe I am imagining things.

As for the body to wing size proportion thing, I once saw chart where a collage teacher used Warren as an example of how a human would need really large wings to achieve flight. Hu sed a computer model of Warren for his demonstration, and I believe that he still couldn't explain to his students how Warren could fly. I believe he used the subject as a challenge to his students.

Angel's chest muscles would also have to be much larger. They would have to be even more out of proportion compared to the rest of his body than even Liefeld draws his super hero characters.

X-Men and Spider-Man

This mini has very good art, IMHO. It follows four generations/eras of the X-Men. It's a good reading, IMHO. Warren doesn't have much to do but he has is moments.
    (he's in issue #1 and #3)
    I don't think that I have heard of this mini before. Or if I did than I have forgotten about it.
    Is it part of actual 616 continuity, or is it AU?

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I don't think that I have heard of this mini before. Or if I did than I have forgotten about it.
    Same! Sauce?
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Here is hoping 2024 is kinder to Warren!

THIS PICTURE!

Angel's chest muscles would also have to be much larger. They would have to be even more out of proportion compared to the rest of his body than even Liefeld draws his super hero characters.
    This! But now I have the image of the infamous Liefeld's Captain America but Warren-ized planted in my head. DAMN!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Same! Sauce?
    Canon. Or, at least, doesn't contradict anything canon so it fits canon.

To summarize.
    Each issue is focused on a different X-Men era (and different Spidey eras).
    #1 is Original Team after the ending of the first run X-Men (the fight with Hulk).
    #2 is Outback during Mutant Massacred.
    #3 is.. I don't remember ATM, but sometime before Onslaught - Warren has returned to his white/blue uniform but still has his metal wings, Ororo has a full black version of is classic white costume. Fandom claims it's during Onslaught but Warren had his wings ruined during Onslaught, while here aren't damaged.
    #4 is after "no more mutants". Fandom claims it's before, but there's a Morlock that has lost his powers, so... Team is Logan, Scott, Kitty, Piotr and Kurt.
    The main villain connecting the issues is Mr. Sinister and one of his plans, and involved one of Spider-Man villains (actually, two) to have the X-Men and SM team up.

Further, in-depth summary.
    spoilers:
    The story revolves around Mr. Sinister wanting to build his own army of mutants mixed with his own DNA for [reasons], and hires Kraven to get him the O5 DNAs - and Kraven involves Spider-Man to get to the O5. Kraven has been recently released from prison and goes on tv claiming he understood he was wrong blah blah and then goes on a tirade against mutants he will kill/capture, and says that Spider-Man is a mutant. So the O5 search SM (who's out with Gwen and haven't heard Kraven's threat) to protect him. It's a good O5-era issue, IMHO.
    In #2 Kraven is dead. SM raids his files and finds some notes about Kraven's mission for Mr.Sinister from #1 (collecting the X-Men's DNAs) and goes to the X-Men to warn them but none of the O5 are there (he finds Rogue-Dazzler-Wolvie-powerless!Storm) and they together go raid one of Sinister's lairs, getting into a fight with the Marauders (who had just done the Massacre). They discover the O5 twisted clones in the tubes.
    In #3 the X-Men once again have fought against Sinister in one of his hideouts and they discover from his files that he wants to get his hands on Carnage. Cue X-Men searching for SM and then try to avoid Sinister's getting to Carnage.
    In #4 the plot wraps up. Sinister has made a clone that features the DNA's of the O5 (actually the O5, he doesn't have Warren''s wings) combined with the one of Kraven and Carnage and Sinister himself (so it can be controlled). So X-Men and SM has to fight this Kraven, who eventually gets free of Sinister's control and thwarts Sinister's ultimate plan.
    end of spoilers
    Again, I say it's worth a reading, IMHO.
    And the art is very good, IMHO. The right balance between muscles and realism.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

So I finally got around to reading Original X-Men. On the whole, I found it kind of pointless. It served its purpose as a setup for the new mini about alternate Wolverines hunting Onslaught, but as an O5 story I felt it was pretty light on substance. Which is a shame, because I like Christos Gage quite a bit. I will say that as much as I thought the story was iffy, I think he had a good grasp on the characters. I especially liked how he wrote Warren. Appropriately serious and collected. He also did a great job showing off how fantastic a flyer Warren is. It made me wish he could've written a legit O5 story set in the current day.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    So I finally got around to reading Original X-Men. On the whole, I found it kind of pointless. It served its purpose as a setup for the new mini about alternate Wolverines hunting Onslaught, but as an O5 story I felt it was pretty light on substance. Which is a shame, because I like Christos Gage quite a bit.I will say that as much as I thought the story was iffy, I think he had a good grasp on the characters. I especially liked how he wrote Warren. Appropriately serious and collected. He also did a great job showing off how fantastic a flyer Warren is. It made me wish he could've written a legit O5 story set in the current day.
    My thoughts exactly. I agree the story... meh. But once I hit the last page I had a smile on my face because, for the first time since years, I got the feeling that the writer got the characters and also what makes them an unique team with their own unique dynamic.
    And yes, paint me bitter because of what could've gotten, if the team wasn't used to prop a Wolverine-team. If the story ended with the X-Men sacrificing themselves successfully stopping Onslaught it would've been 100% better (it would've been a proper "What if" finale). Because their sacrifice wouldn't be pointless.
    Alas... ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
    Still don't get the hatred this shot got. It has flaws and "mediocre" could be a proper description, but awful is not. IMHO.

Thank you for sharing!
    Last edited by Hakka84; 01-03-2024 at 06:09 PM.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

This is for you, Thievery.
    Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 06-19-37 Iceman and Angel Full - Read Iceman and Angel Full comic onlin.jpg
    Hoping is readable enough.

(Iceman & Angel, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    So I finally got around to reading Original X-Men. On the whole, I found it kind of pointless. It served its purpose as a setup for the new mini about alternate Wolverines hunting Onslaught, but as an O5 story I felt it was pretty light on substance. Which is a shame, because I like Christos Gage quite a bit. I will say that as much as I thought the story was iffy, I think he had a good grasp on the characters. I especially liked how he wrote Warren. Appropriately serious and collected. He also did a great job showing off how fantastic a flyer Warren is. It made me wish he could've written a legit O5 story set in the current day.
    It wasn't bad. It wasn't all that great but it wasn't horrible. I think that it would be good to get an O5 reunion story set in the present day. The last time that they did Cyclops wasn't around.

The comic did suffer from being a set up book for another Wolverine comic. And I say that as a fan of Wolverine.

My thoughts exactly. I agree the story... meh. But once I hit the last page I had a smile on my face because, for the first time since years, I got the feeling that the writer got the characters and also what makes them an unique team with their own unique dynamic.
    And yes, paint me bitter because of what could've gotten, if the team wasn't used to prop a Wolverine-team. If the story ended with the X-Men sacrificing themselves successfully stopping Onslaught it would've been 100% better (it would've been a proper "What if" finale). Because their sacrifice wouldn't be pointless.
    Alas... ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
    Still don't get the hatred this shot got. It has flaws and "mediocre" could be a proper description, but awful is not. IMHO.

Thank you for sharing!
    There was a lot of hate for the comic as soon as it was announced based on preconceived notions of what the comic would be about. A lot of readers were tired of the teen O5 when they left the first time and didn't want them back. I wasn't particularly interested in it myself.
    It didn't get help in the fan response department that it set up another Wolverine comic. This forum has an irrational hate for Wolverine.

This is for you, Thievery.
    Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 06-19-37 Iceman and Angel Full - Read Iceman and Angel Full comic onlin.jpg
    Hoping is readable enough.

(Iceman & Angel, 2011)
    I'll be honest. I don't even know what that is, and I'm content to leave it that way.
    Thanks for your assistance, though .

There was a lot of hate for the comic as soon as it was announced based on preconceived notions of what the comic would be about. A lot of readers were tired of the teen O5 when they left the first time and didn't want them back. I wasn't particularly interested in it myself.
    Add also the hate for Greg

I'll be honest. I don't even know what that is, and I'm content to leave it that way.[/QUOTE
    Thanks for your assistance, though .
    It was a one-shot part of the First Class titles (with some canon-breaking hints, such as mention of Wolverine and another thing that made the boys older than they were in First Class, but First Class-timed).
    Not that you might be interested, but summary:
    spoilers:
    Spring break. Bobby and Warren were meant to go to Mexico but Bobby forgot to get the air tickets, so they're stuck in NY. This alien (which is not a new character) comes destroying the city and I&A intervenes. They get their asses kicked. And discover that this guy is actually looking for something, which is his son, who is at college on Earth. So they help him find this son, which happens to be spending his spring break... in Mexico. So helicopter dad scolds the son and they beam away on their ship... leaving Bobby and Warren on a Mexico beach.
    end of spoilers
    Definitely not something you might enjoy, from what I can understand, and the art could be better... but it's a light reading that doesn't hurt. And Bobby and Warren have a good banter, proving once again that if you author get Bobby's and Warren's voices, they make a wonderful duo together.
    Last edited by Hakka84; 01-04-2024 at 10:28 AM.

It was a one-shot part of the First Class titles (with some canon-breaking hints, such as mention of Wolverine and another thing that made the boys older than they were in First Class, but First Class-timed).
    Not that you might be interested, but summary:
    spoilers:
    Spring break. Bobby and Warren were meant to go to Mexico but Bobby forgot to get the air tickets, so they're stuck in NY. This alien (which is not a new character) comes destroying the city and I&A intervenes. They get their asses kicked. And discover that this guy is actually looking for something, which is his son, who is at college on Earth. So they help him find this son, which happens to be spending his spring break... in Mexico. So helicopter dad scolds the son and they beam away on their ship... leaving Bobby and Warren on a Mexico beach.
    end of spoilers
    Definitely not something you might enjoy, from what I can understand, and the art could be better... but it's a light reading that doesn't hurt. And Bobby and Warren have a good banter, proving once again that if you author get Bobby's and Warren's voices, they make a wonderful duo together.
    I was mostly just joking about the First Class thing. I thought that might be where the images you posted were from but I wasn't sure. I haven't thought about that comic series since it was printed. The comic seemed to be targeted to a much younger audience so I stopped reading after the first issue or two. At least I think that I stopped. It's been a while. From what I understand it is also not part of continuity.

I think that the only issue that I bought after the first couple was the one that had Angel and Scarlet Witch on the cover. I just thought it was a nice piece of art. I don't really remember most of the story from the issue. I think that it was just a one and done date between Warren and Wanda but I could be wrong.

Warren and Wanda hang out for some time (a week?More) but they keep it secret. Then yes, on a date, Pietro crashes in and shenanigans ensues.
    That cover was definitely a wonderful piece of art.

Warren and Wanda hang out for some time (a week?More) but they keep it secret. Then yes, on a date, Pietro crashes in and shenanigans ensues.
    That cover was definitely a wonderful piece of art.
    Yes it was. It came from X-Men First class #7.
    I finally tracked down a picture of the cover. I hope that I can finally get it to post on this site correctly.

0e778de01535a13c1490371738562460.jpg

That picture of Wanda and Warren is good example Angel being shown with regular feathered wings.

Usually regular feather winged Angel is drawn to look like the dork below. Just for you Hakka84
    dc7c86f0693e2991cb607bda20389ef9.jpg

I never liked this version of Angel's halo costume, but if you are going to use the halo one I'm coming around to the one with gold gloves and boots. The other one just has to much white in it for my liking.
    cafd469a9b4df46edd2a7a0ca5293bea.jpg
    Last edited by Thievery; 01-07-2024 at 01:20 PM.

Ultimate Member

Well Jean as the Phoenix could bring Warren back and just ignore Foxe and his crappy writing of Warren.

That picture of Wanda and Warren is good example Angel being shown with regular feathered wings.

Usually regular feather winged Angel is drawn to look like the dork below. Just for you Hakka84
    dc7c86f0693e2991cb607bda20389ef9.jpg

I never liked this version of Angel's halo costume, but if you are going to use the halo one I'm coming around to the one with gold gloves and boots. The other one just has to much white in it for my liking.
    cafd469a9b4df46edd2a7a0ca5293bea.jpg
    I admit my favourite is the blue one (actually, the lighter blu of the 90s, more than the Hidden Years deep blue).
    If we ignore the ... colorful costume that Jean designed as the First Class 2nd costume, and the one from the Champions, I think Warren always got well-designed and flattering costumes, both the many halo versions (yellow/red, red, blue), the Avenging Angel, the one from the Excalibur era
    EXCAL011_Cover__scaled_800.jpg
    and the two Archangel (original and X-Force - actually, in X-Force there are at least three different costumes, if you look at the silver markings, but you get what I mean). And also I liked the one he got during the time-displaced era. The last one especially - the one we see him wearing in the first scenes of the recent Original X-Men shot!
    Oh, and I forgot the red/white X-Factor. Under the pen of the artist who made Empyre, it looked awesome.

For fanfic reason I've checked all alternative Warrens on Fandom and I can't recall a Warren, any Warren, with any awful costume (besides the two 616-canon mentioned above). There are a couple in a long robe/tunic (Earth X, and another from a Battleworld/Old Egyptia something in which Warren is blu and has the same face marks of Apocalypse), but they aren't real costumes so don't count.
    Last edited by Hakka84; 01-07-2024 at 05:09 PM.