Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

If he killed Chunk just to make Wally angry, so Wally can impotently fail to act on it because it's a team book and that kind of single character development is tertiary to it, I will be even more angry. Though I'm just generally angry about Chunk so not much is gonna justify it for me.

It could be a fakeout, so I'm not saying burn it all down or anything, but still.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-10-2024 at 05:37 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    As much as I love Wally and want to support him, I'm really not caring for Spurriers run so far. It's called The Flash, not the "stand around." I didn't order #7 in my pulls. I really felt Adams was doing good things with the book before they ended it for the restart.
    I feel your pain mate.
    I want to love it, but it hasn't clicked for me at all.
    I haven't dropped it yet (I've never dropped the book before. Hell, I stuck with it through the Fastest Man Alive atrocity) but I'm closer than I've been in over a decade to do so.

I agree with you regarding Jeremy Adams' run too. I hadn't enjoyed the Flash title that much since Geoff Johns first started on the book.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    If he killed Chunk just to make Wally angry, so Wally can impotently fail to act on it because it's a team book and that kind of single character development is tertiary to it, I will be even more angry. Though I'm just generally angry about Chunk so not much is gonna justify it for me.

It could be a fakeout, so I'm not saying burn it all down or anything, but still.
    I can see Gar's mind actually being in Chunk's pocket universe, and Chunk's consciousness also being there. In which case all it'd take is for Donna and Raven to retrieve him. Both of their bodies would simply be badly damaged, not dead, they'd just look dead because their consciousnesses are elsewhere.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Believe me, I'm heavily critical of Tom Taylor's writing, but I think there might be more to it.

Silver age Kid Flash action figure:
    https://bleedingcool.com/collectible...es-gold-label/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    While I will say that I much prefer Adams run and style on a book about Wally and family, Spurrier has been an interesting interlude so far. Is it something I want to see for a long form run on Wally? Not exactly, but for a story arc I am finding what's going on interesting. I do like that Spurrier has kept the family aspect involved so far, which was in question prior to the book starting. I do like what he's doing with Irey, have we seen her use her powers in this manner before...? I really liked Jessie's appearance this issue (#4).
    Even Deodato is keeping the art interesting enough for me, despite his more stiff style.

I have to agree that I liked Adams run with Wally too .
    This Spurrier run is a mystery so far . He does do a lot of standing around as someone posted on here .
    The latest book was actually more interesting as we got to see Irey in action and Jesse too , boy didn't realize that Irey is now 13 years old .
    For me I do like that there's a bit of dialogue , even if it's internal .
    Also glad to see that DC is keeping the book at $3.99 at least for now .
    All these $4.99 and $5.99 books really add up in the long run .

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Silver age Kid Flash action figure:
    https://bleedingcool.com/collectible...es-gold-label/
    I saw this and was really keen to grab it.
    Until I found out it's a McFarlane exclusive making it hard to get in the first place, PLUS! It's going for $40.00 (US$).
    That means, with postage to Australia and the exchange rate, I'm looking at over $100.00

No thanks Todd.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I have to agree that I liked Adams run with Wally too .
    This Spurrier run is a mystery so far . He does do a lot of standing around as someone posted on here .
    The latest book was actually more interesting as we got to see Irey in action and Jesse too , boy didn't realize that Irey is now 13 years old .
    For me I do like that there's a bit of dialogue , even if it's internal .
    Also glad to see that DC is keeping the book at $3.99 at least for now .
    All these $4.99 and $5.99 books really add up in the long run .
    I think aging up the kids is more a tonal thing. Them being more childish and young fit what Adams was going for, focusing on them as kids Wally as raising more than their own characters in a tense situation. It's easier to write drama and consequence with a teenager than it is a 10 year old. There's a sort of narrative disconnect the second you start adding "teen" to the age for writers and readers alike, that lets you do more serious stuff with them.

She (and presumably Jay and Max) did just age up ~3ish years between issue 800 and issue 1, though. No getting around that, even if it's more in line with what their ages should've been.

It also might be a more benign difference. Adams asked what ages the kids were when he got the job and was told 8-10 range, so he wrote them like that. It's possible that there was a new editorial oversight situation when Spurrier took over and, when he asked their ages, got a different answer. Though this seems less likely to me because Spurrier is clearly familiar with what Adams' wrote and the age up didn't affect Wade.

There's also always the option that it will become a plot point. I doubt it but super speed aging and foggy memories/continuity shenanigans is kind of baked into what Flash has going on now. It could be a sort of multiversal overlaying situation like what happened with Wally. After all, in DC Rebirth the Titans were depicted as young 20s, but Wally clearly magically aged up to his Pre-Flashpoint age in the transition to becoming the lead with his kids again.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-15-2024 at 08:52 AM.

Also Deodato just draws them tall.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I feel your pain mate.
    I want to love it, but it hasn't clicked for me at all.
    I haven't dropped it yet (I've never dropped the book before. Hell, I stuck with it through the Fastest Man Alive atrocity) but I'm closer than I've been in over a decade to do so.

I agree with you regarding Jeremy Adams' run too. I hadn't enjoyed the Flash title that much since Geoff Johns first started on the book.
    I may go back and get the issues next time my LCS discounts current backstock. When a new writer comes on, I'll pick it up again and I'll be annoyed if I am missing issues with the whole run LOL.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Also Deodato just draws them tall.
    Seems about right for 13. Heck some 13 year olds are way taller! And lines up with how they were depicted by other artists in Central City Tour

Seems about right for 13. Heck some 13 year olds are way taller! And lines up with how they were depicted by other artists in Central City Tour
    It seems kind of too tall for me, but I don't think it's intentional on Deodato's part at any rate .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It seems kind of too tall for me, but I don't think it's intentional on Deodato's part at any rate .
    All he has to do is press the scale down button on his 3d models!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I,m 183cm in height, and have been so since I was 13.

But comics do tend to use height as an indication of age, so maybe that's why Deodato's style feels off to some people.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

January 16th is Wally West's birthday! Happy birthday to one of world's best superheroes!