Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Happy Birthday Wally .

Got it from Bleeding Cool.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I wonder if the Stillness uses Zoom? That looks like the Reverse-Flash logo.

Poor Jai.

Astonishing Member

This is by far the best issue of the run, and I'm including the Beast World tie in that I was very fond of in that discussion.

My biggest issue with Spurrier's writing thus far was that he's basically throwing a lot of science fictiony jargon at the story that, while fine if you're into that thing, hasn't done much to really grab my attention as a reader. I'm largely invested in narrative focus, character development, and such and 4 and a half issues of setup is a bit much for me without ever doing that.

Well, the other boot dropped, and in a Jai focused issue no less!

Half of this comic was just a weird new figure having a conversation with Jai as he pops in and out of scenes. This, I think, is the strongest core of this. Spurrier does his routine science adjacent word vomit but uses it and all the weirdness going on to finally connect two disparate plotlines -- and characters -- together in Wally and Jai.

Not to spoil too much of it, but Spurrier does basically the entire issue from Jai's perspective as he's watching Wally deal with the ever mounting issues of the various weirdnesses and threats popping up. And the narrative core of this particular issue is us seeing the world and his family through his eyes in the context of what's going on.

It's very well written, very well delivered. So good, even, that I wasn't even picking out the details of Deodato's art I dislike like I have been in the past when I wasn't as captivated by the story.

That was not a problem here. There's incredibly strong character exploration and an equally punchy climax to the issue (you know the page if you read it). One of my main criticisms is each issue feels like it was a slow, somewhat meandering build up of questions and vague mysteries leading into...another issue. And you could say that for 1-4, but definitely not 5, which I suppose subverts expectations by doing the slow, cautious build up and then dropping two bombs in a row at the end of the comic.

I know there's a number of people who don't care that much about Wally's kids and I get that. But, if you have even the faintest interest, this particular issue is a masterclass for Jai West.
    Last edited by Dred; 01-23-2024 at 01:45 AM.

Mighty Member

I wonder something is that the Flash run for some strange reason don't have a backup run. Unlike Batman, GL, WW and Superman run. I kinda wish DC would do it so that Jeremy Adams have a chance to write the run.

Astonishing Member

We've got two spin offs which is more Flash content than we've ever had, really.

Incredible Member

I've been reading The Flash since the relaunch and before with Adams writing it and also for a long time before that .
    Adams was really good at writing Wally and it seemed like a typical Flash book which was good .
    Spurrier has in my opinion started very slow with a now a build up in #5 involving Jai . I think that this latest was the best so far .
    One thing we don't know is what's going on with Barry . But this last issue really focused on Jai and even though I liked the twins before , but wasn't crazy about them .
    Now I feel for Jai as his powers are very different and we don't know how he'll evolve .
    For me the book not having a back up like other DC books is fine . I also get the Hal Jordan GL and I don't even read the backup story . It holds no interest for me.
    But at the same time I see that DC needs books at $4.99 and adding a backup kind of gives you more for your money .
    But for a relaunch that started kind of extremely different for Wally , I'm glad that I gave it a chance so far .

Gotta get me that Messener-Loeb omnibus!!

Love that run.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    We've got two spin offs which is more Flash content than we've ever had, really.
    I've been enjoying the Jay Garrick series! Haven't read Speed Force, but it looks fun.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post
    I've been enjoying the Jay Garrick series! Haven't read Speed Force, but it looks fun.
    It's great fun IMHO. Art takes a little getting used to but it suits the book (I do like having 3 Flash books on the go at once at the minute!)

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post
    I'm enjoying both quite a bit!
    Jay's moreso, but both are worth a look!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mighty Member

Does anyone if Spurrier aware that Jesse Quick is already married to Hourman? Consider how he wrote her in issue 4. I think he should acknowledge that she isn't single woman anymore and the way the dialogues played out doesn't seem to hint she is mature to be a married woman.

Astonishing Member

I don't know what you're talking about. Her dialogue seems to be written like a fun aunt when she's around Irey. Being married also doesn't necessitate a major personality shift, either.
    Last edited by Dred; 02-10-2024 at 10:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. Her dialogue seems to be written like a fun aunt when she's around Irey. Being married also doesn't necessitate a major personality shift, either.
    Yeah, I don't get what he's talking about either. People don't have to stop having a fun personality when they get married. There was nothing wrong with her characterization.