Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd kind of be torn on that. Like it would benefit Wally as a standalone Flash but also kind of negate the importance of Barry and that relationship or the Flash as a legacy hero.

But I guess now is as good a time as any to find ways to remove Barry from the equation.
    It does diminished the importance and to me it loses a big part of the appeal of the characters, but i doubt we will actually see the Flash transitioning from one character to another in any capacity otuside of the comics anyways.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Yeah he did have some solo stories in Barry's book. I remember really liking them. I haven't read them in many years though.
    I love Bronze Age Flash of early 70s. The ones with Irv Novick art and Nick Cardy covers. But looks like DC will never collect those, so may have to get digital versions. Do you recall much about the KF stories. I'm assuming they were probably him helping other teenagers or maybe catching small town crooks?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Didn't DC already do their "Ultimate" style universe when they did the whole New 52 reboot shenanigans? I would be more interested in it if they did something really unique and made their ultimate style universe the pre-COIE DC characters....
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

BANNED

Oh, okay.

Kind of surprised they wouldn't go with Barry since Wally is currently headlining the main Flash book. Not that I mind, just that not really sure what they could do with it unless it's an unmarried Wally.
    I think the young, immature Wally was a very fun and dynamic character. I like how the character grew up over the years and I like his kinder, gentler current self, but there was something fun about that Messner-Loebs/Justice League animated version where he was a lovable jerk who could be selfish and girl-chasing.

And I'm sure they could do a lot of stuff with a clean slate. Look how different something like Green Lantern Earth One was from the main GL book, despite both using Hal Jordan.

I'm stoked about it if it's true. I'm bummed that DC seems determined to keep Barry benched as much as possible, but more Flash content is always welcome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It does diminished the importance and to me it loses a big part of the appeal of the characters, but i doubt we will actually see the Flash transitioning from one character to another in any capacity otuside of the comics anyways.
    Yeah and the animated version was a lot of fun, despite lacking a lot of the backstory and history of the comics version.

Believe me, I love Barry and would hate anything that diminishes him, but I don't really mind it in an alternate universe take so much.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Didn't DC already do their "Ultimate" style universe when they did the whole New 52 reboot shenanigans? I would be more interested in it if they did something really unique and made their ultimate style universe the pre-COIE DC characters....
    The issue with the New 52 was that it was a half-assed reboot where they didn't know what the hell they were doing.

The hopes with the this hypothetical new universe is that its a true universal restart clean slate and more focused than what the New 52 was.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I think the young, immature Wally was a very fun and dynamic character. I like how the character grew up over the years and I like his kinder, gentler current self, but there was something fun about that Messner-Loebs/Justice League animated version where he was a lovable jerk who could be selfish and girl-chasing.

And I'm sure they could do a lot of stuff with a clean slate. Look how different something like Green Lantern Earth One was from the main GL book, despite both using Hal Jordan.

I'm stoked about it if it's true. I'm bummed that DC seems determined to keep Barry benched as much as possible, but more Flash content is always welcome.
    I just feel like two married Wally books would feel kind of redundant unless they really changed things up.

BANNED

I just feel like two married Wally books would feel kind of redundant unless they really changed things up.
    Maybe? I think it really depends. We have multiple books featuring the same version of Superman, for example, without it being redundant. I don't know if the marital status is THAT restrictive. I would read another main continuity Flash comic featuring Wally, so I don't personally think marriage means a character can only appear in one book or only be interpreted one way.

Anyway, I assume that he'd be single if it's a new "Ultimate" style version. I think it'd be more fun (for me, anyway) to get that younger, more immature jerk Wally, though. I loved the animated version and the Messner-Loebs era of Wally, so having a depiction more like that would be more interesting for a reinvention, in my opinion.

Astonishing Member

It's a bit unfortunate JMS reneged on Flash Earth One. That would've basically been this for Barry, as it was for the rest of the JL. I wasn't a big fan of the Earth One line in general but Barry at least deserved his spot next to the other franchises who got their shot in that little off universe. It is a bit odd to kick off with Wally in a comics universe, though. You can always start with the dead mentor backstory, obviously, but you tend to have more time to draw out a story in comics. Unless this is mining up something to base adaptations on like Earth One obviously was for. Then a more adaptation friendly setup for Wally might work, since Barry already got that treatment.
    Last edited by Dred; 02-14-2024 at 11:18 PM.

Wally doing the Akira slide by Kyler Clodfelter

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I'm currently watching the Justice League animated series -- didn't many of those when they first aired. The treatment of Flash is very cringy to me. I don't relate the animated version to Wally at all, but I mostly avoided Flash during that era. Thank go, Mark Waid fiixed him.

Lemire's been posting Flash pictures to his instagram recently, so there's some credence here. If they are revamping his origin then it's 100% for easier outside media adaptation, probably directly for Gunn's DCU

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    Lemire's been posting Flash pictures to his instagram recently, so there's some credence here. If they are revamping his origin then it's 100% for easier outside media adaptation, probably directly for Gunn's DCU
    Talking about Gunn, this is the only pic in Lemire instagram that he liked. The pictures are from Barry's old run tho, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    It's a bit unfortunate JMS reneged on Flash Earth One. That would've basically been this for Barry, as it was for the rest of the JL. I wasn't a big fan of the Earth One line in general but Barry at least deserved his spot next to the other franchises who got their shot in that little off universe. It is a bit odd to kick off with Wally in a comics universe, though. You can always start with the dead mentor backstory, obviously, but you tend to have more time to draw out a story in comics. Unless this is mining up something to base adaptations on like Earth One obviously was for. Then a more adaptation friendly setup for Wally might work, since Barry already got that treatment.
    We also didn't get Aquaman Earth One either, unfortunately.

Oh, okay.

Kind of surprised they wouldn't go with Barry since Wally is currently headlining the main Flash book. Not that I mind, just that not really sure what they could do with it unless it's an unmarried Wally.
    I was surprised too honestly. I am very happy with two Wally books but would have been happy with an ultimate Barry too.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!