Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I wasn't happy with Simonson's portrayal, either. Especially writing Dani out of the series. I liked Zeb Wells' take on her (although I hated his take on Cannonball), but I actually preferred Abnett and Lanning's version in the second half of the series. The art was kind of weak, though.
    I’ve only heard bad things about the Abnett/Lanning run on NM so I hadn’t considered reading it, but I will definitely check it out now that you’d say you’d recommend to a Dani fan!

Marvel's putting out an Heir to Apocalypse series starting in May, and Dani's a contender. Quite frankly, I don't know why Dani's involved, but it's written by Steve Foxe, so I have some faith that she'll be written well.
    I’m very excited for this! I hope this mini will be a great showing for her and that if speculations are true that Apocalypse has hand chosen these mutants to succeed him, I’m delighted to hear his reasoning for including Dani.

All-New Member

Okay, so for a long while now, I've theorized that the difference between psi powers comes from where different psionic characters access other people's brains. I'm not saying they can't access other parts of the brain, just how they get in and how their powers first manifest. I've been reading The Future of the Mind by theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, and part of the book kind of backs me up. (Not that I believe any of these powers are possible. )

The "reptile" brain, containing the brainstem and cerebellum, controls instinct, instinctive functions (like breathing) and movement. That could be how Karma gets in.

The much more recent "human" part of the brain, the neocortex, is the area controlling cognitive function ("I think, therefore, I am" and 1+1=2). That's the part telepaths usually seem to contact first.

In between, we've got the "mammalian" brain, aka the limbic system. This part covers sensory imput, emotions and memories as well as desires -- hunger, pleasure, etc. That pretty much sums up what Dani draws on to create her illusions.
    Wow this is actually a fascinating dive into the difference in psi powers of various mutants! I love that we get various uses and applications of psionic powers through Xuan, Dani, and telepaths like Emma, Jean, Charles etc. I wonder how Betsy would fit into that with her “psychic knife”.

Your assertion that Dani is accessing the limbic system makes total sense and truly does align with her powers. Although Dani’s passive power that gives her a connection with animals is a rather stereotypical trope, it’s much more interesting when considered with this concept of her accessing the “mammalian” parts of people’s brains. Surely because of that, there is a greater reason for why she is able to telepathically communicate/connect with animals given what you’re saying is she often accesses that part of the mind in others. Great research Arachne!

Okay, so for a long while now, I've theorized that the difference between psi powers comes from where different psionic characters access other people's brains. I'm not saying they can't access other parts of the brain, just how they get in and how their powers first manifest. I've been reading The Future of the Mind by theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, and part of the book kind of backs me up. (Not that I believe any of these powers are possible. )

One chapter is dedicated to the evolution of the brain from reptiles to mammals to humans, and is pretty interesting how it matches different power sets.

The "reptile" brain, containing the brainstem and cerebellum, controls instinct, instinctive functions (like breathing) and movement. That could be how Karma gets in.

The much more recent "human" part of the brain, the neocortex, is the area controlling cognitive function ("I think, therefore, I am" and 1+1=2). That's the part telepaths usually seem to contact first.

In between, we've got the "mammalian" brain, aka the limbic system. This part covers sensory imput, emotions and memories as well as desires -- hunger, pleasure, etc. That pretty much sums up what Dani draws on to create her illusions.

Of course, this doesn't cover her "solid" illusions (or the telekinesis that some psionics have), that would seem to bee more along the lines of manipulating quantum mechanics, which is interesting given her power switch back in the '90s.
    That sounds awesome.
    Still funny we never see Dani do her mind-link thing with other animal/mutant characters besides Rahne. She could save so much on her cellphone bill too.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Maitogai View Post
    I’ve only heard bad things about the Abnett/Lanning run on NM so I hadn’t considered reading it, but I will definitely check it out now that you’d say you’d recommend to a Dani fan!

I’m very excited for this! I hope this mini will be a great showing for her and that if speculations are true that Apocalypse has hand chosen these mutants to succeed him, I’m delighted to hear his reasoning for including Dani.
    Admittedly, I'm a DnA fangirl for what they did with the Legion of Superheroes over at DC and their part in reinventing Nova before and after Annihilation. Still, I thought they wrote Dani really well. The art was just a bit too cartoony (for my taste) over most of the run.

Yeah, it'll be interesting why Dani's involved with this. I can't imagine her wanting to be Apocalypse's heir. Speaking of Steve Foxe, there's a new X-men Unlimited of tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Maitogai View Post
    Wow this is actually a fascinating dive into the difference in psi powers of various mutants! I love that we get various uses and applications of psionic powers through Xuan, Dani, and telepaths like Emma, Jean, Charles etc. I wonder how Betsy would fit into that with her “psychic knife”.

Your assertion that Dani is accessing the limbic system makes total sense and truly does align with her powers. Although Dani’s passive power that gives her a connection with animals is a rather stereotypical trope, it’s much more interesting when considered with this concept of her accessing the “mammalian” parts of people’s brains. Surely because of that, there is a greater reason for why she is able to telepathically communicate/connect with animals given what you’re saying is she often accesses that part of the mind in others. Great research Arachne!
    Thanks. Wasn't really intentional research, though. It actually turned out that it wasn't the area I needed to look into.

I think Betsy's knife and Dani's arrows would be partly under quantum mechanics. Maybe?

As for communicating with animals, Dani actually had trouble with piranha fish when the team was in Nova Roma, and they wouldn't have mammalian brains. She didn't seem to have as much trouble with the birds in Realms of X. Practice, I guess.
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    That sounds awesome.
    Still funny we never see Dani do her mind-link thing with other animal/mutant characters besides Rahne. She could save so much on her cellphone bill too.
    True. I agree that it's kind of weird. Maybe she's afraid the link would be as strong as her bond with Rahne?
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    That sounds awesome.
    Admittedly, I'm a DnA fangirl for what they did with the Legion of Superheroes over at DC and their part in reinventing Nova before and after Annihilation. Still, I thought they wrote Dani really well. The art was just a bit too cartoony (for my taste) over most of the run.

Yeah, it'll be interesting why Dani's involved with this. I can't imagine her wanting to be Apocalypse's heir. Speaking of Steve Foxe, there's a new X-men Unlimited of tomorrow!

Thanks. Wasn't really intentional research, though. It actually turned out that it wasn't the area I needed to look into.

I think Betsy's knife and Dani's arrows would be partly under quantum mechanics. Maybe?

As for communicating with animals, Dani actually had trouble with piranha fish when the team was in Nova Roma, and they wouldn't have mammalian brains. She didn't seem to have as much trouble with the birds in Realms of X. Practice, I guess.
    I suspect that animals must have a minimum level of intelligence for Dani to communicate with them, so no fish or insects.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

True. I agree that it's kind of weird. Maybe she's afraid the link would be as strong as her bond with Rahne?
    Much as I might like to think there is some actual character related reasoning behind it, I feel it's most likely writers just hadn't thought to explore it more. Might have to ask about it next time an "x me anything" features anyone writing Dani.
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    I suspect that animals must have a minimum level of intelligence for Dani to communicate with them, so no fish or insects.

Not sure -- early on, in New Mutants volume 1, she affected a school of piranha with her powers. On second glance, it looked like it was her fear based power, so maybe not "commuincation."

Screenshot 2024-03-12 105337.jpg

cameo dani

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    cameo dani

Gonna add this to the list of reasons/excuses Dani could be in Midnight Suns even though I don't even think that game is getting anymore updates ^^;
    ~*Earthbound.

Coinicidentally I found this image while cleaning out files on my laptop. I wondered what the source was...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Regarding Heir of Apocalypse, could her being a contestant in A's tournament have anything to do with her being prophesized to be a mutant who would lead during the war against humans and was originally a candidate for the original twelve? I wouldn't be surprised if A is choosing characters who have the potential to lead mutantkind, which is why he chose Dani.

Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Regarding Heir of Apocalypse, could her being a contestant in A's tournament have anything to do with her being prophesized to be a mutant who would lead during the war against humans and was originally a candidate for the original twelve? I wouldn't be surprised if A is choosing characters who have the potential to lead mutantkind, which is why he chose Dani.
    She's been marked as heir to the X-Trernal Selene and the Norse Goddess of Death, Hela... so why not add Apocalypse to the list of big guns Dani is poised to topple when she ascends.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 03-17-2024 at 08:36 PM.

I would have gone with "Teenaged War Chief" instead of "Shaman" but...