Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Marvel going hard with the Romy merch:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear...-from-x-men-97
    I already have two X-Men '97 shirts. At what point does it become my whole wardrobe? And would that be an actual problem?

I do want that Gambit shirt, though. It is weird that Marvel is being nice about him vs just openly insulting him.

Also, it is hilarious they released a glass, and not the coffee mug everyone has wanted.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 04-19-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Any Gambit tee, if not a crop top, should at least be a ridiculously deep v-neck. A crew neck is just wrong. Can’t stand a crew, I feel like I’m being strangled all day.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I already have two X-Men '97 shirts. At what point does it become my whole wardrobe? And would that be an actual problem?

I do want that Gambit shirt, though. It is weird that Marvel is being nice about him vs just openly insulting him.

Also, it is hilarious they released a glass, and not the coffee mug everyone has wanted.
    I'm struggling with the same problem. How much is too much? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Any Gambit tee, if not a crop top, should at least be a ridiculously deep v-neck. A crew neck is just wrong. Can’t stand a crew, I feel like I’m being strangled all day.
    Would it kill them to make more women's styles more widely available? I can't tell you how many Avengers women's tees I've seen. Ugh. Annoying.
    Last edited by Nox Noctes; 04-19-2024 at 05:12 PM.
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.

Glad to see this resurgence of Remy and Rogue. It still shocks me that this is the first depiction of them in media since the original 90s show. Unless you count that one episode in X-Men Evolution.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    lol, I’ve always wondered if I had a weird shaped neck or something, because that how I always felt about crew necks! have to wear one size up to make it feel bearable.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    The last mention that I remember of Rogue's ability to speak in French was in Kelly Thompson's Rogue & Gambit series where Rogue confesses to Remy that she tried learning French via a language learning tool (Babbel or Rosetta Stone) and that it didn't work, so I would say she isn't fluent.
    Ah, ok thanks. Thats a retcon then. Because CC definitely established her as a fluent French speaker in X-Men vs. Alpha Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    She does speak a little French back to him in that Love Unlimited series. Not like long sentences or anything, but a few phrases. It was very sweet.
    Thank you. I always wondered why Rogue wouldn't speak French to Gambit. I always thought it would be cute.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Ah, ok thanks. Thats a retcon then. Because CC definitely established her as a fluent French speaker in X-Men vs. Alpha Flight.

Thank you. I always wondered why Rogue wouldn't speak French to Gambit. I always thought it would be cute.
    Thanks for the reminder. Here's the scene in question...
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post

They have a slightly customizable mug on the Disney store website:

https://www.disneystore.com/x-men-92...002982ZES.html

And a bunch of other items like a tote bag and LEGO set:

https://www.disneystore.com/movies-s...?start=0&sz=24

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Glad to see this resurgence of Remy and Rogue. It still shocks me that this is the first depiction of them in media since the original 90s show. Unless you count that one episode in X-Men Evolution.
    yea I see AJ and Lenore online promoting Romy and even trying to lead noncomic readers to get into the books. Wow!

Kelly Thompson I recall a few years back to trying to explain that Rogue doesn't know French. When I was reading her series I figured Rogue just knew French temporarily from just one time due to contact. (like how she gains skill/knowledge on how to prep for baby delivery for Jean, that it would fade )

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    More short Beau DeMayo answers...

Gambit = Horseman?
    https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/statu...81785592660451

This one's just a subtle smiley face answer, but in regards to a relevant question for this thread. (make what you will of it, just thought I'd share)
    https://twitter.com/SebasHellBlazer/...88500423082024
    In the very least, if Gambit was truly dead and Beau wanted it to stick in a way that feels meaningful, it would be pretty weird for him to keep adding fuel to the speculation fires
    Make Good Art

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. Here's the scene in question...
    What a classic reference! Rogue feels so young here. And given the context of this scene, maybe its not a retcon afterall. The dialogue indicates she temporarily absorbed Northstar's psyche and powers, and her French fluency is a residual of that contact. If it faded, like this effect naturally does, then Kelly's writing isn't wrong... although they could have made a choice for Rogue to learn it.

It does make for an interesting character quirk that her powers (as much of a curse) can quickly enable some skills that may not come to her easily. That's not a knock on her. Rogue is very smart, but sometimes you have to have an ear for languages.
    Last edited by sidekick77; 04-20-2024 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    What a classic reference! Rogue feels so young here. And given the context of this scene, maybe its not a retcon afterall. The dialogue indicates she temporarily absorbed Northstar's psyche and powers, and her French fluency is a residual of that contact. If it faded, like this effect naturally does, then Kelly's writing isn't wrong... although they could have made a choice for Rogue to learn it.

It does make for an interesting character quirk that her powers (as much of a curse) can quickly enable some skills that may not come to her easily. That's not a knock on her. Rogue is very smart, but sometimes you have an ear for languages.
    She says right there that they speak French in Mississippi, implying that's how she knows the language.

She also speaks French to an unconscious Northstar in that Annual by Carey and Brooks.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    She says right there that they speak French in Mississippi, implying that's how she knows the language.

She also speaks French to an unconscious Northstar in that Annual by Carey and Brooks.
    You're right, I didn't catch that. Was this even brought up during the 90's relaunch when they first started to become a couple? Lobdell and Lee were the big influences, but Claremont was still writing around this time.

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    You're right, I didn't catch that. Was this even brought up during the 90's relaunch when they first started to become a couple? Lobdell and Lee were the big influences, but Claremont was still writing around this time.
    I don't remember it ever being brought up during the 90s. The only 2 times I saw it referenced was in that Annual I mentioned and then with KT's retcon in Rogue & Gambit. I remember some people pointed that out to her on Twitter and she said it made more sense to her that Rogue didn't know how to speak French.

Astonishing Member

I believe her explanation was that rogue knew French from absorbing north star, but was also trying to irratate him so pretended she spoke

But the bigger point, they don’t speak French in Mississippi. Even in the eighties, they spoke more Spanish than French in Mississippi, lol. They don’t call swamp ‘bayous’ there either, just swamps. (Clearly we have case of New Yorkers ‘understanding’ of the rest of America. )
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 04-20-2024 at 09:09 AM.