Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Rogue sounded a lot younger this episode, the sound studio must've changed the pitch in Lenore's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Gambit`s arc for season 1 maybe finally realizing that he is a hero and people need him. Like Cyke told in ep1 hat we needed you but Remy didn`t bother even to listen.
    Xavier's last words to Gambit...

"How often must the scoundrel prove himself the hero before he believes it himself"

THAT should be his character arc. With Rogue trying to convince him of that as well. What Savage Land Rogue said to him in the hallucination indicates his self doubt about being a hero. It's in line with 616 Gambit.

I'm not feeling the balance of the show. I dont' want to sit and wait for that one episode were Gambit and Rogue will get to do something. Or the same with Bishop or Jubilee. Some characters should be at the forefront for episodes or arcs, but the others should be there too, especially in fights. There was no Rogue or Gambit in fights this episode. None.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Love this!

1st issue of Steve Foxe's X-Men '97 book came out...

spoilers:
    Just skimmed through it, but there's a full page of Rogue and Gambit interacting/flirting while shopping for clothes and then they finish up helping Dazzler fight the Nasty Boys at her concert.
    There's also something interesting in the end that has Sinister basically firing the Nasty Boys for their constant failures and considers replacing them with the Marauders. Through one of his screens he watches Sabretooth, Prism, Arclight, Riptide and Harpoon walking through the Morlock tunnels.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    1st issue of Steve Foxe's X-Men '97 book came out...

spoilers:
    Just skimmed through it, but there's a full page of Rogue and Gambit interacting/flirting while shopping for clothes and then they finish up helping Dazzler fight the Nasty Boys at her concert.
    There's also something interesting in the end that has Sinister basically firing the Nasty Boys for their constant failures and considers replacing them with the Marauders. Through one of his screens he watches Sabretooth, Prism, Arclight, Riptide and Harpoon walking through the Morlock tunnels.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Rogue/Gambit AND Rogue/Dazzler interactions?!

…guess I’m off to the LCS today. Weren’t there some cute variant covers, too? RIP my bank account lmao.
    end of spoilers

Xavier's last words to Gambit...

"How often must the scoundrel prove himself the hero before he believes it himself"

THAT should be his character arc. With Rogue trying to convince him of that as well. What Savage Land Rogue said to him in the hallucination indicates his self doubt about being a hero. It's in line with 616 Gambit.
    I would be surprised if that wasn't kinda sorta his arc, but very narrowly in the context of Rogue choosing him and affirming this at the same time. I wish we could get both a Gambit arc and a Romy arc (as well as a Rogue arc eventually, preferably involving her parents, of course), but I think his development is exclusively tied to Rogue during this season. Maybe if we get the ending we want (Rogue clearly choosing Gambit) and the status of their relationship on fairly solid ground, we might get some individual development in season 2. Maybe??? Though I hope they would treat Gambit with as much respect as the other members of the team and not just some piece of eye candy.

I'm not feeling the balance of the show. I dont' want to sit and wait for that one episode were Gambit and Rogue will get to do something. Or the same with Bishop or Jubilee. Some characters should be at the forefront for episodes or arcs, but the others should be there too, especially in fights. There was no Rogue or Gambit in fights this episode. None.
    Yeah, I know, I agree. It's the curse of team books/series with a cast that is just too big and episodes/seasons that are just too short (and writers maybe playing favorites?). It's also one of the reasons I hate it when comics writers introduce new characters: do we really need more? Anyway, I hope '97 gives us better Gambit/Rogue content soon and more significant Gambit/Rogue development in season 2.

It sounds like the '97 comic will be a "wait until the TPB" kind of book for me.
    Last edited by Nox Noctes; 03-27-2024 at 05:09 PM.
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    You’d think five years of Krakoa would have prepared us for disproportionate character spotlight, but yeah. As much as I’m enjoying the show, that’s been a big con for me, too.

A large cast is hard to juggle, but when you have only ten episodes in a season, the first three giving priority to the same handful of characters doesn’t bode well for the rest of the cast. Even though we have seven episodes left, I’m keeping expectations low on that front.

It just stings when the original show was so good about dividing the spotlight and part of what made it so unique. The Fox movies weren’t flawed because Wolverine’s spotlight “should have gone” to any other singular character; they were flawed because these stories are about an entire team, and how they all equally matter and connect to each other. Erasing or downplaying existing relationships or characters to build up or showcase others is lazy af. Hoping it doesn’t stay like this all season.

I have zero expectations that Gambit will take a centralized role in this cartoon at any point. I’m coming at this from XMen Evolution, where I know he’s not a central character, but the moments we do get with him are a pure delight. Like: drive a bus into a giant spider monster awesome, tell Wolverine and Sabretooth to shut up or go throw yourself off a cliff awesome. If he’s not a boob and does some cool stuff, has a moment to shine at some point, then I’ll be happy. Also I’m glad it’s not the Wolverine show and everyone has to be made to look stupid or weak so Wolvie can look strong. Heads and shoulders better than the OG Xtas.

I'm looking forward to a spotlight episode for Gambit (and Rogue, of course) like they did in TAS (Xternally Yours, I think it was called?). I really am enjoying the show as a whole. They are doing a good job of making me care about the other characters and their stories, but nothing is perfect and it's fun to pick it apart/critique it... especially the parts that irke me.
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    I'm looking forward to a spotlight episode for Gambit (and Rogue, of course) like they did in TAS (Xternally Yours, I think it was called?). I really am enjoying the show as a whole. They are doing a good job of making me care about the other characters and their stories, but nothing is perfect and it's fun to pick it apart/critique it... especially the parts that irke me.
    It is what it is. Sometimes you watch an episode or read a comic and you generally enjoyed it but the thing you end up discussing was the thing you didn’t like. Small or big. That’s why I don’t get to concerned when people are criticizing something in general unless the whole conversation turns to one sided. I still check in on the spider-man forums but there are only so many ways one can say that it’s horrible.

Regarding X97 they are doing many things really well. It deserves its hype. Even though some of it is due to how starved we are. It seems that Romy will end up somewhere good but the journey so far hasn’t been much to analyze in terms of scenes together. More implied scenes with Rogue and Magneto.

I think it will watch much better as a binge. I can’t emphasize this enough. This is one of those shows that clearly should have been released all in one go.

Honestly there's a HUGE part of me that absolutely wants XM97 to be Gambit & Rogue & their amazing friends.

But realistically it is called X-Men and each character is going to have to take interspersed turns on being the focus. And this is pretty consistent with original recipe XTAS. Having gone through that entire series before taking notes ONLY on the Rogue or Gambit moments, I realized there were actually a lot of episodes where they didn't show up at all or did very little. By contrast there are several Wolverine only focused episodes I remember being super bored with. In that respect, I'm really satisfied with XM97 so far in trying to spread out character focuses in such a large cast.

It seems like each episode will give specific characters the main focus, with the others getting some tiny moments to advance their plots.

I was a little frustrated that Rogue was MIA for most of this episode other than being in Remy's nightmare. And Remy didn't get any action in fighting the demons.

However I do think they decided to give that big scene mainly to Bishop since they knew he'd be leaving and likewise, Maddie, since it was her exit as well.

TBH it's still balancing characters a lot better than some team book comics have. Don't make me complain about Duggan's X-Men again where Rogue virtually did nothing for 5-6 issues in a row or about Excalibur where Rogue was in a flower coma as a plot device for 4 issues in a row.

Like I said up in the spoiler thread, I feel strangely better about where Rogue and Gambit are after this episode. Whatever Rogue is off doing with Magneto, she seems VERY concerned about rushing to Remy's barely injured side when they return. Not only does Mags pay her reaction to Remy no attention, but he volunteers Rogue to stay behind. So either he is just that unthreatened by Remy as a rival or there is nothing to be rivals about. Also, the degree to which the Savage Land Mags and Rogue were presented as a grotesque over-the-top distillation of Remy's own insecurities and how blatantly dismissive SL Rogue is in calling out the thing he can't give her (touch) and his inadequacy as a hero makes it feel like a false narrative rather than the truth. This happens RIGHT after he has that specific interaction with Wolvie and Morph teasing him outside the danger room and it's pulled right from his mind by Maddie. The same thing is paralleled with Scott, Roberto, and Bishop.

To me this is showing us that Rogue and Magneto are not going to play out the way that people are assuming. Unless we're going to fast forward all the way to the Legacy era, it also doesn't fit the plots for the 90s. It reminds me so much of all the time Rogue was spending with Joseph and how that didn't really amount to more than a tease in the end. She was trying to help him overcome his past and was the only team member willing to be friendly to him. This isn't necessarily different. Though Joseph obviously had other intentions and was trying to help her with her powers for his own benefit, Rogue was hesitant and not totally in it. We could see some of that too. But when she is dying at the hands of the Phalanx, her last words are not for Joseph or Magneto.

We shall see. It also seems really interesting that they put that basketball scene in the opening sequences with Rogue basically kissing Gambit thought her hand like she did in TAS ... almost like a little hint to fans not to give up on them.

I expect this love triangle plot to drag out slowly and painfully in small scenes the next two episodes before we get a more Gambit and Rogue focused episode to hopefully confront and resolve it.

The waiting is the worst. Especially when you aren't sure if it will go a way you like or not. I wish we could just binge all the episodes. But trying to keep the faith in DeMayo's OTP comment and in the source, because we know that Romy wins out in the end. They are endgame. Rogue has only said "I Love You" on panel to one other character in any of her romances.

I kinda hope we see her do more cool stuff with her absorption powers, like some of the combinations she has done in the comics when taking on several powers at once. Her absorbing the doctor's skills to deliver Nathan might have been a hint she'll be using them more and overcoming her fear. I hope that's what Magneto is working with her on. That and/or control.

I also want to see Gambit charge and explode something HUGE and show us all his amazing H2H skills.

Episode 5 will be a significant one for Gambit, I think it's where he finds out about Rogue and Magneto's past which could be part of the dirty laundry aired by the behind-the-scenes press event. Gambit watches it unfold from his hotel in Genosha, and that's where he has that discussion with Rogue (when she flies in). The surprise Sentinel attack interrupts their discussion, that's why there's a shot of Gambit fighting in his white suit, he has no time to put on his battle gear.

I've got a feeling Gambit will risk his life saving the day against the Sentinels, trying to prove himself to Rogue (leaving her devastated), that's where he'll cry out his "remember it" catch phrase. He won't get killed, BUT he could be believed to be "dead" for an episode or 2.

Episode 5 will be a significant one for Gambit, I think it's where he finds out about Rogue and Magneto's past which could be part of the dirty laundry aired by the behind-the-scenes press event. Gambit watches it unfold from his hotel in Genosha, and that's where he has that discussion with Rogue (when she flies in). The surprise Sentinel attack interrupts their discussion, that's why there's a shot of Gambit fighting in his white suit, he has no time to put on his battle gear.

I've got a feeling Gambit will risk his life saving the day against the Sentinels, trying to prove himself to Rogue (leaving her devastated), that's where he'll cry out his "remember it" catch phrase. He won't get killed, BUT he could be believed to be "dead" for an episode or 2.
    I like this. I don't know about the presumed dead part, but who knows?

I wonder what the "dirty laundry" revelation will be? It has to be about Rogue since she and Mags hinted about it previously. At first I thought it was their previous affiliation (barf), but I don't think that anymore. Or maybe it's about something Mags did and Rogue was somehow involved? And then the world turns against him leading to an attack on Genosha?
    Last edited by Nox Noctes; 03-29-2024 at 06:26 AM.
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.