Page 40 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Episode 5 was amazing. I wasn't ready.

I really felt it and definitely will REMEMBER IT.

spoilers:
    A lot to untangle with this episode. First off it spent too much outside of Genosha. It’s clear where the priorities lies of 97. Even more so after this episode.

Secondly even as this was a stellar episode for Remy it doesn’t make it worth us seeing so little of him. For as many indications we have that they like Remy the actual episodes they are putting out doesn’t have a lot of him in them.

As always with levelheaded conversations like this there is no cartharsis for us viewers. It’s all handled neatly so the plot can move on. I like Remy being a grown up but it also means there is very little calling Rogue out on her actions. It’s all very nice but it also leaves one wondering why we cared so much as this just fizzled out. A lack of cartharsis.

Rogue is naive here and her turnaround is a little too fast. They even put her in what was suppose to be a dress for Remy and made it for Erik. They danced as others were fawning and then the kiss. A lot of time spent just rubbing it in. I’m just glad Remy left, no need to torture himself. Rogue just comes off as too oblivious, even self absorbed even. Did she not realize how all of this was hurting Remy? Before Genosha, during Genosha and at the big gala entrance?

In that sense it almost feels earned that she lost them both. Like don’t get to greedy or you might end up losing it all. It’s a cruel theme but it feels like it is what they were aiming for.

It’s a shame because I liked Remy and even Magneto here in the end. Not so much Rogue. She feels naive and oblivious.

Now we get weeks without Remy. It wouldn’t have hurt to give him more exposure before killing him off.
    end of spoilers

Rogue does come across like as naive, which... why would Magneto be interested in her other than boning? I like Magneto, I don't want him to be the Professor who keeps dating his students. I know those guys. They're awful.

I saw it about 3 hours ago, still processing it...

spoilers:

Firstly it was a great episode. I couldn't fault Gambit's characterisation. Rogue had great moment too. The mansion drama I could've done without...

I loved Nightcrawler and Gambit's interaction, Kurt basically being a ROMY shipper, giving him brotherly advice and encouraging him to marry Rogue. I loved that Gambit kept his cool throughout the episode, he had to endure some heart-breaking moments. His heroics were phenomenal, saving the Morlocks was a great reversal to the 'Trial of Gambit' . Absolutely loved it. Lenore Zann's voice acting was amazing, after a slow start, she had some really powerful moments. Her last lines to Remy and the delivery, I'll never forget. Gambit on a motorcycle and Rogue fighting along side was chef's kiss. Extremely heart breaking that Gambit didn't know that Rogue chose him at the end.

I liked that Magneto and Gambit weren't acting childish at each other when it mattered, they kept it professional during the Sentinel attack. My biggest issue is Rogue's age when she and Magneto were together in the past. Was she a teenager? I hope Rogue's line to Erik after the dance puts an end to the love triangle, basically she turned down his offer to be his queen and quoted Remy. I don't know how much more you can do after that. Sounds like she made her choice.

Some speculation from my part...

Magneto's not dead, there are shots of him wearing red and putting on his helmet. He'll be wanting to rebuild Genosha. I can't see him lead the X-Men anymore. So over to you Scott.

The coffin shot MIGHT be Gambit, but there were a lot of deaths, could be anyone.

Cable was trying to reverse these events. So that's one way Gambit can come back...or Mr Sinister...or he's not technically not dead yet.
    end of spoilers

I think DeMayo is a bigger X nerd then I thought if it is how everything will continue.

spoilers:
    Morrison wanted to kill Gambit and it was his plan but Calremont saved Remy by adding him to Extreme X-Men.
    Morrison planned to rework Romy dynamic by flipping it on its head, with Rogue as the desperate lover, and Gambit as the one not able to touch his beloved. “Nice new twist on the doomed, romantic mediaevalism of their love.”
    Gambit would be caught up in the destruction of Genosha by the wild tri-sentinel, and his powers, flaring wildly, would transform him into a new “electromagnetic phantom form” to survive. Still able to communicate, but unable to actually interact with the physical world, he’d work with Rogue while she tries to find a cure for his condition.
    end of spoilers

Now that I've calmed down:

spoilers:
    This was probably the best written episode for Gambit in any animated series. He was a bad@$$ hero. He was a mature and respectful romantic partner. He was funny and roguish (pun kind of intended?).

I'm not sure how I feel about Rogue. I understand that touch is important to her and that she might have some moral objection against power inhibitors, but if that's the only thing keeping you away from the one you love, get over it. I see her attraction to Mags as being a girlish crush taken too far (and wow, Mystique is a terrible mother for letting that happen), but did we really need that god awful dancing scene? Admittedly, she did end up embarrassing Mags in front of everyone. Also, her deep dark secret was in fact her past relationship with Mags? And all this time, they were just hanging out? I really thought she was going to be the symbol of accepting yourself as you are, but I guess it was just "follow your heart"? I'm glad she picked Remy, but, yikes, way to put me through the ringer, X-Men writers.

As for that ending: 1) Gambit could be dead, 2) the next episode might reveal him recovering in a hospital, or 3) Rogue could use Cable's time traveling abilities to save Gambit?
    end of spoilers
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.

Deathbit by skipping HoM.

Okay. I still have a lot of feelings to process. But for now…

spoilers:
    The instant I heard that spooky ass Ace of Base song I should’ve known something was going down.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Am I the only one the found the past story of Rogue and Magneto very problematic? I'm not opposed to the couple, but not like this!
    spoilers:
    I mean… it’s problematic in the source, too. It’s been baked into their dynamic since day one.

These are people who first deeply bonded when one was a vulnerable teenager, and the other was an adult (more than three times her age) in a position of authority over her.

And like a few other arcs adapted for the show, 97’s version of their relationship still benefits from some heavy PR/retconning.

At least this time around, she still had her powers and was not so totally isolated from the outside world that she couldn’t contact her mother(s) or escape if she needed to. In the Savage Land arc, she was freshly traumatized, lost her powers, and separated from everyone she knew and cared about. Magneto swooped in out of nowhere to save her multiple times - from not just a nightmare version of Carol Danvers trying to kill her, but also from almost being sexually assaulted (which also happened the last time she lost her powers…)

Baby Rogue developing a crush on Magneto is understandable. He not only rescued her; he made her feel like she wasn’t a worthless monster deserving only of death, the way her own team once had because of what she’d done to Carol. Of course she’d cling to him. The issue is that this man in his big age was reciprocating her feelings from the start. They didn’t officially “date” until the Carey years, but Claremont’s Magneto wasn’t moving cautiously because Rogue was a child. His inner monologue was “she wants to bang me, too, right???…. oh wait… can’t betray my dead wife.

(And despite that, he was still about to stick his tongue down this girl’s throat at one point if Ka-Zar hadn’t interrupted.)

Anyway. He came off much better here than in 616. And it was still magnificently creepy. Because it is.

(Saying all this as someone who’s a Magneto fan, btw. But this relationship has never been a good look for him. His acting more like Rogue’s parent than actual romantic partner isn’t just due to the age gap or authority/power imbalance, but how steamrolling and paternalistic he always behaves around her. Those moments of him aggressively pulling at her glove and floating over three sugar spoons were very on brand.)
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    They don't make it obvious but I find it amusing that

spoilers:
    "Valerie" does not approve of the relationship. And yes, I'm fully on the Valerie is Mystique bandwagon after this episode.

You can tell Raven really wanted to help Rogue, but didn't anticipate this development happening. Her face when it's revealed that Magneto wants Rogue as his "queen" is very telling.

And you'd think she'd be for it, considering adopting Rogue was a calculating move by Destiny and Raven. Magneto is an omega, he's in a position of power, and has numerous connections by all accounts she should be in favor of this relationship because it could help in her goals through manipulating Rogue. But... she doesn't approve. I think even she recognizes the toxic power dynamics at play there.

Which is good, because Mystique's not a good mother, but at least it's clear here that she cares about Rogue beyond just being a tool.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Honestly, I would scream if ‘97 Raven secretly ended up a Magneto hater and Remy cheerleader.

(She might have to wait until Cable waves his magic time machine to make said opinions known, but still.)

Oooh, and something else I just realized. Magneto’s “would the team still trust you” from 1x02 wasn’t about the show retconning Rogue into joining the team as a double agent, or assisting him on some secret terrorist attack, or some other dark deed, like I was afraid of…

…..it was actually just about their past romance.

Which the show made clear started when she was a teenager.

She says to Remy: “When I joined the X-Men, Erik said he wouldn’t want me to lose another family. He acted like it never happened. We both did.”

Why would that have been the team’s dealbreaker for Rogue, versus her actual teen terrorist past? I highly doubt it would have been.

Intentional or not (I hope it is), they leaned hard into the groomer vibes with these two: “You can’t tell anyone. They won’t understand. They’ll be mad at you.”

I’m honestly shocked they put that kind of nuance in, instead of just riding the “lol age gaps are normal get over it prudes~” take I keep seeing everywhere.

Magneto obviously didn’t want Mystique to know. But he did not want Charles to know, either. And for good reason. Woof.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I haven't fully processed it yet. But I agree with all of you that Gambit was magnificent.

He the best of episode without a doubt. Rogue on the other hand... I don't know. I think it's been too much Rogneto to enjoy her part.

But the fights have been spectacular and the animation great. Outstanding.

And yes, the relationship between Rogue and Magneto looked total grooming. I don't think it was the intention of the show, but it didn't look good at all. Anyway, I hope it's really over.

I guess Magneto is alive, saved the kids and will go back to being a villain again.

My poor Gambit, he's gone as a hero. I hope Cable and his time travels save him, as he was already trying to save Genosha in the same chapter.

Good things are in store for us, the series has a level I wasn't expecting, even if I was heartbroken and had to endure the damn love triangle, which I hated every bit of it.
    end of spoilers

How does one do spoilers again?

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zin Magala View Post
    How does one do spoilers again?
    [ spoil] [/ spoil] but without the extra space.

I had an inappropriate chuckle at Gambit spoilers:
    running over Rogue with his motorcycle.
    end of spoilers oh, how laughter turns to tears…

The rest of the season, I’m expecting full-on Rogue Rage.

The best episode.

spoilers:
    Beyong the Romy stuff, the episode itself and all the themes it touched were done in such a great way, it was exciting and painful to watch. Honestly, I think the way they constructed the whole Rogneto thing was pretty much perfect. It made sense and I think some of you judge Rogue way too harshly (and yes, even adult Rogue) because she's quite clear to Remy. She can't touch him. Her dilemma is laid out in a perfectly reasonable way. She needs to kiss Magneto to understand that Remy is right, love goes beyond skin contact. But her right to find that out by herself feels very earned to me. Anyway, Gambit was FUCKING AMAZING in this. He died a hero, he died being the one Rogue chose. He fullfilled the role he wanted to play since the beginning. Heartbreaking.
    end of spoilers

Thank you. Let me try this again.

spoilers:
    I'm happy my speculation was wrong as I love being surprised. I never expected this. lol

Gambit was stellar this episode, from his words to his actions. His talk with Nightcrawler was great. Lets make that wedding happen. They did a fantastic job with his talk with Rogue too. He was amazing in that fight and he got his hero moment. I leaped out of my seat when he saved the Morlocks. Screw that storyline. lol

I have mixed feelings about Rogue's secret. I'm happy they didn't go the route I thought but it simply being a past relationship is blah. Not sure how that matches with her words in Episode 2. Maybe if there was more Magneto defending from her against the team. I'm over-the-moon that she chose Gambit before Magneto went back to being his best self. I'm so happy Rogneto is done. The gala dance was a bit much, Gambit made the right call in leaving. The next time Rogue talks to Gambit will be very interesting since he doesn't know she chose him. Also, Val being Mystique is picking up steam.

Cable is an obvious out. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the show going the Xtreme X-Men route with Rogue, with the help of Madelyne, keeping Gambit from going to heaven. Hopefully we get something next week.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Zin Magala; 04-10-2024 at 06:50 AM.

Two watches and I'm still astounded and heartbroken and I love it and I hate it. I'll come back later after my thoughts have settled, but DAMN. What a show. So proud of our boy! And so devastated. That ending.