Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    But they don’t speak French in Mississippi. Even in the eighties, they spoke more Spanish than French in Mississippi, lol. They don’t call swamp ‘bayous’ there either, just swamps. (Clearly we have case of New Yorkers ‘understanding’ of the rest of America. )
    Oh, believe me, I suffered with Roberto speaking Spanish for years lol

But Caldecott County is made up by CC, right?

I kinda agree with KT that if Rogue knew French, she'd speak French with Remy all the time. So the no-prize to me is that Rogue was messing up with Jean-Paul in that Asgardian Wars scene. But then we have the Annual moment by Carey. Maybe she memorized those words?

CBR made an article a few years ago about this subject:

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-rogue-french-speaking/

Spectacular Member

I can't recall any references during the start of their relationship either, and its curious because the in-joke around Gambit at the time (even now occasionally) is that other team members can't understand him half the time. You'd think that would be a natural segue into her showcasing her French.

Either way, with or without it, the more important factor is that they are talking. Communication can be such an Achilles heel with these two.

Someone posted this adaptation of Episode 5's final scene on Reddit. It's apparently by Zane M Fannin, but I do not see it on his Instagram and it's impossible to find anything on X anymore.

spoilers:

RDT_20240420_1247047699469272471407713.jpg

end of spoilers

I

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I believe her explanation was that rogue knew French from absorbing north star, but was also trying to irratate him so pretended she spoke

But the bigger point, they don’t speak French in Mississippi. Even in the eighties, they spoke more Spanish than French in Mississippi, lol. They don’t call swamp ‘bayous’ there either, just swamps. (Clearly we have case of New Yorkers ‘understanding’ of the rest of America. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Oh, believe me, I suffered with Roberto speaking Spanish for years lol

But Caldecott County is made up by CC, right?

I kinda agree with KT that if Rogue knew French, she'd speak French with Remy all the time. So the no-prize to me is that Rogue was messing up with Jean-Paul in that Asgardian Wars scene. But then we have the Annual moment by Carey. Maybe she memorized those words?

CBR made an article a few years ago about this subject:

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-rogue-french-speaking/
    Yeah I honestly think that KT made a very excellent point. The amount of sheer material showing us a Rogue who doesn't speak French or understand it extensively outweighs the couple of appearances where she uses it.

But I also adore that Preeti Chhibber showed us that Rogue HAS picked up a bit now that they have been together for so many years. She's not super fluent, but she knows several phrases. They're married now, at least a year or two in comics time, so I love seeing them picking up on each other's knowledge and interests.

Speaking of that run, I still want it in print!!!

And also, Carola Borelli is too good for us:
    IMG_20240420_125022.jpg

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. Here's the scene in question...
    Yeah, that's it. I want to correct my last post. I meant X-Men/Alpha Flight. Not X-Men VS. Alpha Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    What a classic reference! Rogue feels so young here. And given the context of this scene, maybe its not a retcon afterall. The dialogue indicates she temporarily absorbed Northstar's psyche and powers, and her French fluency is a residual of that contact. If it faded, like this effect naturally does, then Kelly's writing isn't wrong... although they could have made a choice for Rogue to learn it.

It does make for an interesting character quirk that her powers (as much of a curse) can quickly enable some skills that may not come to her easily. That's not a knock on her. Rogue is very smart, but sometimes you have to have an ear for languages.
    In the scan she mentions that they speak French in the Mississippi Bayou. I got that part right at least. Anyway, I didn't know that Claremont wasn't accurate or well versed in the Good ole' South and they spoke very little French . So... I guess that's that.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-21-2024 at 01:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    In the scan she mentions that they speak French in the Mississippi Bayou. I got that part right at least. Anyway, I didn't know that Claremont wasn't accurate or well versed in the Good ole' South and they spoke very little French . So... I guess that's that.
    Yeah, after the last round of comments, I did look up some demography on the area and I can see where he overshot. I mean, its nothing to have Rogue learn French; there's even reasons she simply knows the language from previously absorbed skills (Carol or Jean-Paul). Its the part where she asserts a cultural 'we speak' in Mississippi to his unspoken 'we speak' (or 'oui speak') in Quebec. And Mississippi really does not have that type of population.

From the article posted, its also interesting how most writers chose not to include it in future stories or were not aware. So much so, that I was very surprised to stumble on this fun fact about Rogue in the discussion. The majority of my Romy readings are from the 90's and early 2000's, and I do not recall her once speaking a lick of French to Remy. Idk, its just funny that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    Yeah, after the last round of comments, I did look up some demography on the area and I can see where he overshot. I mean, its nothing to have Rogue learn French; there's even reasons she simply knows the language from previously absorbed skills (Carol or Jean-Paul). Its the part where she asserts a cultural 'we speak' in Mississippi to his unspoken 'we speak' (or 'oui speak') in Quebec. And Mississippi really does not have that type of population.

From the article posted, its also interesting how most writers chose not to include it in future stories or were not aware. So much so, that I was very surprised to stumble on this fun fact about Rogue in the discussion. The majority of my Romy readings are from the 90's and early 2000's, and I do not recall her once speaking a lick of French to Remy. Idk, its just funny that's all.
    LOL Yea it's easy to forget these writers didn't have the benefit of the internet back in their day, plus their back issue reading was probably pretty limited. There was nobody keeping a record of continuity.

I mean ... consider the inconsistencies for Rogue's origin story. We get two very different versions of when Rogue came to be with Mystique and Destiny and at what age and circumstances. Then add in the messy Rogue solo bringing in her bio parents hippie cult. Nevermind that we STILL don't know her last name prior to joining Mystique. I would love to see Marvel hire someone to fix that entire mess and give us a true narrative that brings it all into harmony. I just have to headcannon that Rogue's powers have messed with her memories to no prize the inconsistencies away for my own sanity.

I would love that, her years with Destiny and Mystique. In Blue origins she was quite small, so that could be considered a retcon. I would love to see them explore that a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    LOL Yea it's easy to forget these writers didn't have the benefit of the internet back in their day, plus their back issue reading was probably pretty limited. There was nobody keeping a record of continuity.

I mean ... consider the inconsistencies for Rogue's origin story. We get two very different versions of when Rogue came to be with Mystique and Destiny and at what age and circumstances. Then add in the messy Rogue solo bringing in her bio parents hippie cult. Nevermind that we STILL don't know her last name prior to joining Mystique. I would love to see Marvel hire someone to fix that entire mess and give us a true narrative that brings it all into harmony. I just have to headcannon that Rogue's powers have messed with her memories to no prize the inconsistencies away for my own sanity.
    I want to see that whole Rogue's bio parents story retconned somehow. It was just...messy.

Lil Rogue in Blue Origins was adorable.
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.

Brevoort talked a bit about Uncanny on Substack. He hired Gail to write Rogue and they pitched the rest of the book together. Brevoort wanted Marquez on an x-book for a while and put him on Uncanny because he likes the roster
    Last edited by rhaenylis; 04-21-2024 at 02:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Brevoort talked a bit about Uncanny on Substack. He hired Gail to write Rogue and they pitched the rest of the book together. Brevoort wanted Marquez on an x-book for a while and put him on Uncanny because he likes the roster
    This is sounding better and better.

Flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post

I thought her real last name was Raven. Isn't her Dad called Owen Raven at some point during that incredibly messy solo?

I always thought that was why Oliver went back to Raven too. He was using his mom's name to reject Gambit. Or did Claremont explain that as Mystique?
    Last edited by DearMachine; 04-22-2024 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I thought her real last name was Raven. Isn't her Dad called Owen Raven at some point during that incredibly messy solo?

I always thought that was why Oliver went back to Raven too. He was using his mom's name to reject Gambit. Or did Claremont explain that as Mystique?
    Nope. Owen and Priscilla never get a last name.

Rogue takes the last name "Raven" for her alias in X-Treme X-Men because it was Mystique's name. It's interesting that she doesn't take Darkholme.

Owen just up and disappeared at the end of that solo series, dumping Anna Marie on Aunt Carrie.

Personally I need resolution on this mess. LOL

I apparently hallucinated a whole experience where I saw his name was Owen Raven and then thought "ugh, that's dumb, given Mystique's name." But outright hallucination does seem oddly fitting for that weird Rogue series.

I too need resolution now!

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    This is sounding better and better.

Flashback.

Remind me which issue that's from?

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I apparently hallucinated a whole experience where I saw his name was Owen Raven and then thought "ugh, that's dumb, given Mystique's name." But outright hallucination does seem oddly fitting for that weird Rogue series.

I too need resolution now!
    I want that entire story retconned into a hallucination. It was terrible.
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.