Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Left CBR in 2012 after being told I was throwing a Rabid Gambit Fangirl Tantrum. Who knows, maybe I was? If so, I embrace it. Or maybe someone was being a misogynistic gatekeeping sh!tbrick. Hadn’t been back until the pandemic and only having a 5 year old to talk to - made what I experienced in 2012 seem a lot more manageable when dealing with actual RL tantrums. I think all the hater trolls got chased off since ‘12, bc it’s a lot more chill (at least in the Gambit and G&R threads). The crazies all moved to Twitter maybe. It’s also a lot quieter, but that’s okay.

So cool you made your vision a reality.

I do like the Frenzy/Gambit friendship thing, those reformed baddies need to stick together. Honestly, I was tickled to see that one panel of them walking the carpet at the gala having a chat. I‘ve had to spend most of the Krakoa era only imagining character moments.

My thought - the Carol persona was expunged from Rogue just prior to her meeting Gambit, yes? At least that’s what I thought I remember from the Rogue in the Savage Land issues. I wish that’s all I could remember from that time period, but alas, the prevalence of Fur Bikini Rogue has been trapped in the fandom’s mind’s eye ever since, like a scantily clad mosquito in amber.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I ditched CBR years ago too but came back when I decided that it’s better for me to face the ugly opinions and learn from them. At least I think that was a good decision for me at that time. As an unwanted consequence I lost track of the Guild forum.
    Since then there are less people outright stating “I hate Gambit” when posting here, if they still feel as such they keep it themselves. More or less.

Frenzy… Why did she never work for me? Not just in combination with Remy but outright as a character. Perhaps she is to though and rough, I see no angle for me to approach from.

You are really approaching scary territory with Rogue here. Are we just fond of a character that is 50% Carol and 50% Rogue and to whom does the parts we like belong to? In many ways Mike Carey approached it from that angle but his hands were tied. Wasn’t Rogue her most heroic self after the kiss? Maybe she should have been on a different path in that regard.

I think there is reasons to argue that Remy could attract Carol and vice versa. In the same way that Romy is built on some parts Carol all Rogues relationships are. To untangle that would lead to some interesting developments for sure.

Oh the art looks great. I’m a sucker for a that first panel with just his eyes. Remy’s eyes is such a fun and unique part of him, better to embrace it then to hide it.
    Appreciate the words, I'll pass on the compliments to Zane (twitter: zathanielfannin / IG: @zanemichaelfannin). He's a great guy and a very intuitive artist.

I always found it interesting that before absorbing the Avengers, Rogue was a hardnose villain. It wasn't until after taking in Carol did she became a hero. I'd assume Danver's personality, being a big-time hero, she would have a huge influence over Rogue. If you notice in the 90s Rogue even began wearing an aviation-style bomber jacket (her most iconic look). Yeah, it fit because she can fly - but you also have to admit it's interesting seeing as Danvers was a pilot. A reach but there's also the flowing headband that wasn't unlike Danvers' sash. Again, it is a reach. But what got me the most is how crazy and desperate Rogue was about her relationship with Gambit, with and without her powers - but as soon as her mind was "cleaned" - she basically put Gambit on simmer and started bouncing from one relationship to another (I blame that on opportunistic writers and weak editorial oversight) - Magneto, Human Torch, Deadpool, Havok (AU). So, I got to thinking -why wouldn't Gambit question that at least once? It's valid concern - that perhaps whatever attracted Rogue to Gambit may have been attributed to a piece of Danvers (or an amalgamation of several people). I even mention Danvers potentially finding Gambit attractive (Chapter 2). Overall, I just wanted to have fun the idea, which I did.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Please tell me you do comics for a living! Those panels I've seen. WOAH! °_°
    Not at all, not even sure if I have it in me -I just wanted to see if I could script out a comic coherently.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    My thought - the Carol persona was expunged from Rogue just prior to her meeting Gambit, yes? At least that’s what I thought I remember from the Rogue in the Savage Land issues. I wish that’s all I could remember from that time period, but alas, the prevalence of Fur Bikini Rogue has been trapped in the fandom’s mind’s eye ever since, like a scantily clad mosquito in amber.
    Yes, of course, the whole Danvers-mind-spirit thing (that would also take over her body sometimes) was resolved way back then you are correct. However, Rogue's psyche arguably maintains a cache of sorts from all past absorbs. As we saw in Extreme X-Men when she started using the powers of everyone she's touched simultaneously to fight Kahn's army. I'd argue Danvers was still the most prevalent which is why she maintained those powers (flight, strength, durability) for so long, and why coming into contact with Hope erased everything (though she immediately absorbed Mystique right after) including any remaining power sets.
    Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Appreciate the words, I'll pass on the compliments to Zane (twitter: zathanielfannin / IG: @zanemichaelfannin). He's a great guy and a very intuitive artist.

I always found it interesting that before absorbing the Avengers, Rogue was a hardnose villain. It wasn't until after taking in Carol did she became a hero. I'd assume Danver's personality, being a big-time hero, she would have a huge influence over Rogue. If you notice in the 90s Rogue even began wearing an aviation-style bomber jacket (her most iconic look). Yeah, it fit because she can fly - but you also have to admit it's interesting seeing as Danvers was a pilot. A reach but there's also the flowing headband that wasn't unlike Danvers' sash. Again, it is a reach. But what got me the most is how crazy and desperate Rogue was about her relationship with Gambit, with and without her powers - but as soon as her mind was "cleaned" - she basically put Gambit on simmer and started bouncing from one relationship to another (I blame that on opportunistic writers and weak editorial oversight) - Magneto, Human Torch, Deadpool, Havok (AU). So, I got to thinking -why wouldn't Gambit question that at least once? It's valid concern - that perhaps whatever attracted Rogue to Gambit may have been attributed to a piece of Danvers (or an amalgamation of several people). I even mention Danvers potentially finding Gambit attractive (Chapter 2). Overall, I just wanted to have fun the idea, which I did.
    I'm reading ROM for the first time and he has a run in with the brotherhood. Rogue absorbs him and his nobility shakes her to the core. I know that there have been several retcons to the Rogue-Mystique-Destiny relationship since then but the Rogue we knew before X-men was a product of Mystique raising her. She was quite nasty.

If you look at Remy and his relationships the big ones have all been with girls with large personalities. With both Belladonna and Rogue there is high highs and low lows. Makes you think this is how Remy sees life and therefore he on some level not only accepts it buts seeks it out in his relationships to. He wants someone who challenges him, keeps him on his toes, someone who he has to work to win and then continue to work for to be with. Maybe he doesn't feel worthy so he continuesly has to prove to himself through others that he is.

Joanna certainly fits in that mold.
    Last edited by Malachi; 01-05-2024 at 11:00 AM.

I'm reading ROM for the first time and he has a run in with the brotherhood. Rogue absorbs him and his nobility shakes her to the core. I know that there have been several retcons to the Rogue-Mystique-Destiny relationship since then but the Rogue we knew before X-men was a product of Mystique raising her. She was quite nasty.

If you look at Remy and his relationships the big ones have all been with girls with large personalities. With both Belladonna and Rogue there is high highs and low lows. Makes you think this is how Remy sees life and therefore he on some level not only accepts it buts seeks it out in his relationships to. He wants someone who challenges him, keeps him on his toes, someone who he has to work to win and then continue to work for to be with. Maybe he doesn't feel worthy so he continuesly has to prove to himself through others that he is.

Joanna certainly fits in that mold.
    I agree. I'd say with as flighty as Gambit can be at times, it takes someone with a big personality and perhaps confidence to keep their sanity while dealing with him. Joanna does also fit, I agree - which is possibly their off-panel, no-strings relationship worked back in their past (pre-X-Men: I believe between NOLA exile and encountering Storm). But Gambit does attract attitude. The Cecelia Reyes friendship comes to mind. I always liked that relationship.
    Guild Member

Oh the art looks great. I’m a sucker for a that first panel with just his eyes. Remy’s eyes is such a fun and unique part of him, better to embrace it then to hide it.
    Couldn't agree more. Those eyes are truly distinctive. Why wouldn't the artistic/creative types find them appealing (LOL):

I know, right?! Always loved that encounter (XD)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-05-2024 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Left CBR in 2012 after being told I was throwing a Rabid Gambit Fangirl Tantrum. Who knows, maybe I was? If so, I embrace it. Or maybe someone was being a misogynistic gatekeeping sh!tbrick. .
    Hehe, life surely must suck hard for those people. What a waste of space and life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    It is I. I am the one you refer to as ThePratt. I have returned...

I stopped coming here when the discussion stopped being that and was more "my headcanon doesn't accept your reasoning" madness. That and dealing with the onslaught of trolls. It's been a couple of years since I've posted here. But I digress - Nico, J, greetings.

J - thanks for sharing! I plan on doing the same for sections of the story. I wish I had the funds to convert the whole story - but it'd be pretty darn expensive! I hope everyone enjoys the character exploration. It's always about the discussions for me, so I'm down for talking, as long as it's that lol.
    Hiiiii!!! Glad you stopped back in! I'd forgotten you'd changed your handle. D'oh!

Totally understandable if you can't do the whole thing. I know commissions are pricey. This turned out so good though. I'd love to see more! I like the character exploration in this premise. And Zane captured your story so well. I agree, the opening panel with Remy's eyes as the focus was perfect.

I definitely think we've established that Remy prefers a romantic partner who is not a pushover. LOL I imagine he has always felt like he had to earn love being an orphan who was adopted because of what he had to offer. It would have to affect your attachment and security in relationships deeply and probably long term. I don't know that he and Joanna were ever more than a relationship of convenience, but I do think they understand each other in ways the more stable and heroic characters probably can't. They've both lived hard lives.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-05-2024 at 05:36 PM.

Btw ... did y'all see the preview for Rise of the Powers of X #1?

Dammit ... I really wasn't going to pick this up, but of course we were given an actually good scene with Gambit and Mystique.

You know **** is BAD when Mystique actually says something nice to Remy and they're working together without squabbling. Looks like he's going out heroically in a big kamikaze glory, so this issue is probably it for Gambit appearances.

It's set in the future and I'm wondering if Rogue is already gone at this point, as she says "You made Rogue happy."

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Btw ... did y'all see the preview for Rise of the Powers of X #1?

Dammit ... I really wasn't going to pick this up, but of course we were given an actually good scene with Gambit and Mystique.

You know **** is BAD when Mystique actually says something nice to Remy and they're working together without squabbling. Looks like he's going out heroically in a big kamikaze glory, so this issue is probably it for Gambit appearances.

It's set in the future and I'm wondering if Rogue is already gone at this point, as she says "You made Rogue happy."
    I’m okay watching Gambit fall to his death again. Think I’m good on that front. Nice that Gillen keeps setting these arcs in an AU future so I can easily skip it. But, on the bright side, it seems like G&R made it to their 10th anniversary.

Not being someone who has said he doesn't like Gambit is a mini-point for me. LOL. Let's see what the reviews say...

by the way what book was their alternative cover from?

I think he deserves a point for giving Gambit a heroic cameo and having Mystique finally acknowledge that he's good for Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I think he deserves a point for giving Gambit a heroic cameo and having Mystique finally acknowledge that he's good for Rogue
    He does.

Before Gillen came back I was excited about the possibility of him writing Gambit since he once said he wanted to. So it’s good we finally get at least something.

Astonishing Member

True. Honestly this is more than I thought we’d get. Heroic death and someone actually says something nice (mystique, even) lol. Yes, I had low expectations…