Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    But the clone still won't have lived those experiences. I now feel sad whenever reading any past story of Hank from 1985-2018, knowing he becomes an awful monster and killed off. I know it's silly to think that, but my OCD can't help but take a character's whole history as it is.
    It's not silly, it's a perfectly natural response to them treating characters as fungible.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

But the clone still won't have lived those experiences. I now feel sad whenever reading any past story of Hank from 1985-2018, knowing he becomes an awful monster and killed off. I know it's silly to think that, but my OCD can't help but take a character's whole history as it is.
    Not silly i feel the same way about clones
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Look at this, from Uncanny Avengers #28. Hank and Simon again:

I'm going to quote someone on reddit who saw this:

I think that’s why it bothers me when people say that Beast’s development makes sense if you’ve been following the stories for a while. If you cherry-pick certain stories over the past twenty years maybe you can shape a narrative, but in-between those dozen stories there is plenty of inconsistency, depending on really nothing more than the current writer’s take on the character. There was no long term “plan” to make Beast evil, and certainly not one that has led to this weirdo monster in Percy’s run!
    I couldn't have said it better myself. And just 2 years(real time) after this he's being murderous?! And, he didn't betray the mutants during the awful IvX thing did he? I only read a little, and stopped when Storm tore a hole in his back and the other X-Men put him in a cage.

You know, I'd love it if Simon made a cameo in the new cartoon, but that's a longshot.

Also, it shows that's an Irish bar, but 'slàinte' is Scots-Gaelic, 'gártha' would be Irish Gaelic. I can speak quite a bit of the latter.
    Last edited by Mungho; 04-08-2024 at 11:24 AM.
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

Astonishing Member

Now would be the perfect time to bring back Hank's original, and best, body.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post

Do you Hank fans really prefer him in his original body?
    I don't consider myself a proper Hank fan, I'm just an O5-dynamic fan. But whenever I think my fave Hank, the blue one from 80s/early 90s comes to my mind.
    Might be because the original body in X-Factor was saddled with the mind-regression thing, and I love the loquacious Hank the most. And also the other long-run with original Beast (original X-Men run)... the dialogues were... stiff.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Beast II now has his own Marvel Wiki entry:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Henry...ne)_(Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post

I am with you on that.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogrebear View Post
    Beast II now has his own Marvel Wiki entry:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Henry...ne)_(Earth-616)
    That url doesn't work. Here it is:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Henry...e)_(Earth-616)

He also has an entry on Tvtropes.org's page for Beast(scroll down):

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...velComicsBeast

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Do you Hank fans really prefer him in his original body?
    I don't consider myself a proper Hank fan, I'm just an O5-dynamic fan. But whenever I think my fave Hank, the blue one from 80s/early 90s comes to my mind.
    Might be because the original body in X-Factor was saddled with the mind-regression thing, and I love the loquacious Hank the most. And also the other long-run with original Beast (original X-Men run)... the dialogues were... stiff.
    Also don't consider myself the biggest of Beast fans so for my two cents. Human beast doesn't look at all interesting but if they've done all they can with telling stories of of Blue beast maybe make a condition where he can turn human under certain and specific conditions?(I think I made this suggestion before on this forum . . . )
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I'm not Beasts number one fan either. But I like him. I hate what has been done to him. 90's Beast is my favorite look. Despite that being said here is some human looking Beast art.

I'd like an era where adult Beast is human looking again but I don't particularly fancy it right now, it'll only cement the idea that Beast's moral decay is linked to his mutation as so many reddit trolls feel.

Okay, I avoided posting these pages in the other thread because I was afraid it would cause a pages-long argument that would get this thread locked. But, I keep seeing people say this was Hank's start of darkness, a heinous act that was unforgivable. Yes, Threnody. From what I've read, people seem to think this scene went like this:

Mr. Sinister: Ah, what a delicious young mutant I can perform horrible, painful experiments on! May I have her? I'm incredibly evil you know!

Beast: Of course! Be sure to make her suffer as much as possible! Chucks Threnody at Sinister

I'm going to post those scenes here, from X-Men #27. I'll have to post four, since it gives the full context of the scene. This is for people who wonder what really happened. This first one doesn't have Hank, but it's important. Threnody had already killed some innocent people with her powers(accidentally, of course), and was in constant pain from her powers:

I love this one where Hank just grabs Sinister's mouth:

Cont. next post, because I can only put 3 images to one post.

Two more pages. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this many pages from one comic:

Okay, I think this is the perfect example of a morally grey decision. Threnody was in immense pain from her powers, accidentally killing people as well, while able to absorb pain from mutants who had the Legacy Virus. Hank was unsure if he could help her. If he took her back with him, what if her powers lashed out again, killing him or someone else? Could he risk that? The virus was also a pressing issue, threatening to spread and kill all mutants. Sinister is amoral, but finding a cure for the virus quickly and helping Threnody with her powers, seems to me the lesser of two evils. I would struggle with this decision too.

Now, how did Threnody turn out? Cont. again next post below.

Hank and Rogue meet her again seven issues later in X-Men #34. I love how Hank is drawn in this issue. And...now this Hank is gone...:

'Sinister is the best thing that could have happened to me'.

I know, a great result doesn't nullify any bad decisions that lead to it, but in this case she turned out just fine. Hank says he worried about her after he let her go with Sinister.

I'm just so tired of seeing so many people say that this was Hank's start of darkness. It was morally grey, and you're not an X-Man if you haven't made morally grey decisions, right?

...Right?

Now I'm afraid you all are going to jump on me calling me evil saying this decision by Hank WAS extremely evil. Which I don't think it was.

Hank and Rogue meet her again seven issues later in X-Men #34. I love how Hank is drawn in this issue. And...now this Hank is gone...:

'Sinister is the best thing that could have happened to me'.

I know, a great result doesn't nullify any bad decisions that lead to it, but in this case she turned out just fine. Hank says he worried about her after he let her go with Sinister.

I'm just so tired of seeing so many people say that this was Hank's start of darkness. It was morally grey, and you're not an X-Man if you haven't made morally grey decisions, right?

...Right?

Now I'm afraid you all are going to jump on me calling me evil saying this decision by Hank WAS extremely evil. Which I don't think it was.
    I don’t read this as an abrupt turn to evil but when considering the Olaf (and accurate) saying “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” then I would suggest that a possible interpretation is that Hank made the wrong decision for the right reasons and as such started on his path to Hell.

I have limited knowledge of the character, time periods in question, et al but I can see (but don’t necessarily agree) why people point to this as a turning point (more like a bearing in the general direction of) in path Hank’s paths toward self-destruction.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver