Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Guessing the fan theories about Frozen Charlotte possessing Betty's Red Harpy form based on some concept art and the cover to 11 might be accurate.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    This run is becoming really tedious. I was a fan of the first issues, but the story doesn't progress, and it's becoming boring. And seriously, what is the problem with the guest-artists ? It's like the writer and the editors doesn't care anymore.
    Yeah, the horror feel was fun at first but the pacing is just too slow.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Seems that it kind of fits the Hulk/Horror combo better than what Immortal was marketed as.

Hulk of course had a ton of body horror (Which has continued since) and a lot of existential/spiritual stuff that is different from here. It was also steeped extensively in Hulk lore which this series hasn't done as much of except with Betty and Hulk guest starring in other books.

Almost feels a bit like a better done Bruce Jones approach.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    This run is becoming really tedious. I was a fan of the first issues, but the story doesn't progress, and it's becoming boring. And seriously, what is the problem with the guest-artists ? It's like the writer and the editors doesn't care anymore.
    It feels what used to be single issues stories, but stretched out over 3 issue arcs.

Recently, I've enjoyed starting threads on notable runs or eras. And there are three Hulk periods I'd like to check out: the Peter David run, the year and half that revamped the Hulk before that and the Bruce Jones run.

There are some earlier threads on Peter David's run, so I could easily bump one of those. I won't get to that project for a few more months at least.

I figured I could cover the approximately 20 issues of John Byrne and Al Milgrom's Hulk in this thread.

There does not appear to be a thread about the Bruce Jones/ John Romita Jr/ Mike Deodato run of the Hulk, so I'm not sure if it makes more sense to cover it here, or start a new one.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Recently, I've enjoyed starting threads on notable runs or eras. And there are three Hulk periods I'd like to check out: the Peter David run, the year and half that revamped the Hulk before that and the Bruce Jones run.

There are some earlier threads on Peter David's run, so I could easily bump one of those. I won't get to that project for a few more months at least.

I figured I could cover the approximately 20 issues of John Byrne and Al Milgrom's Hulk in this thread.

There does not appear to be a thread about the Bruce Jones/ John Romita Jr/ Mike Deodato run of the Hulk, so I'm not sure if it makes more sense to cover it here, or start a new one.

Not the mod but I think any reviews like that can be added here. At the start of each year a new Hulk thread is started btw if unaware. When you cover the Byrne/Milgrom era, my friend did an exhaustive research project on his blog Delusional Honesty about Byrne's true plans for his run. Good luck with this.
    Last edited by FrazettaHulk; 02-22-2024 at 08:50 PM.

BANNED

Byrne had minor impact, so I'd leave it here. Jones' run was way longer, deserves its own thread.

Fantastic Member

The behind the scenes stuff during the Bruce Jones run was interesting to see unfold.

Here's what I wrote in an old thread:

As far as Bruce Jones goes, I can tell you that the problem largely stemmed from editorial. Both Jones and Ewing came from horror backgrounds, hence the similarity. The big difference is Jones knew nothing about the character and was encouraged by editorial to ignore all that came before and just write what he wanted. The mandate was to aim for something like the 2003 movie (which Marvel wasn't let in on, so they were writing blindly). Initially, it was very popular with new readers as editorial wanted stories to be new reader friendly and easy to collect into TPBs. When it succeeded, editorial did all sorts of stupid things like inserting another arc within the current arc just to use characters from the 2003 film (again, editorial encouraged Jones not to worry about anything that came before) Similarly, they changed the identity of "Mr Blue" when fans complained about the lack of previous supporting characters. At that point, you saw characters being forced into the storyline inorganically. Jones didn't want Betty as Mr Blue, and using classic characters he didn't know. Near the end, it appears he had enough and started looking for work at DC and presumably editorial didn't like that and fired him from the book mid arc.
    A few things have been consistent over the years. Hulk has always been about change. Editorial tinkers with the title A LOT, when it works it's great (Planet Hulk, beginning of Jones run, Illuminati, Red Hulk, etc) and eventually messes things up (Pak/Loeb double shipping, firing writers over direction (PAD, Jones), and changing writers/directions when the title drops to the 30k range (which went as low as 20k at one point).

Ultimate Member

I think the Bruce Jones run isn't talked about much because Peter David retconned it out of continuity.

Jones' run is a lot more enjoyable when read all at once. Reading it on a month to month basis then was a bit frustrating.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-23-2024 at 08:17 AM.

Speaking of classic characters, didn't the run involve Doc Samson finding out he has a son?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think the Bruce Jones run isn't talked about much because Peter David retconned it out of continuity.

Jones' run is a lot more enjoyable when read all at once. Reading it on a month to month basis then was a bit frustrating.

Greg Pak showed Jones' run happened during his Warbound mini.

Quote Originally Posted by FrazettaHulk View Post

Some of it happened some of it was Nightmare.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Some of it happened some of it was Nightmare.
    Red She-Hulk/Betty could be used as evidence that neither Jones' run or end of Tempest Fugit (Betty washing up on island) happened that way.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I am down for extra Byrne/Milgrom era coverage. I reviewed them in the 2022 (?) appreciation thread.
    My gateway into full-time collecting was with #321-323, so I always look at those with a fond nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by FrazettaHulk View Post

This is kind of funny in light of what happens to him in Ewing's run (Which skipped the Jones stuff but did have all these others mentioned).

You think the transformations/mutations are bad now? You ain't seen nothin' yet.