Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Default FACT - Gamma Gone Horror-bly WRONG!!!

There's been a few things that have been troubling me for years about the mythos of the character and where it has horribly gone wrong. A couple of tropes that have been mishandled and "misunderstood"; more than the correct telling of the Hulk's story himself; have taken the lore off track and headed to a "dead end", more times than it should have.

One is the idea that Banner is like unto Prometheus, who stole power from the Gods and gave it to man. Bruce Banner is not literally Prometheus no more than Doctor Frankenstein, it's only a comparison that was started by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and popularized by Peter Allen David. The story was told in a novel, then in The Incredible Hulk: The End graphic novel. That is where the metaphor should have started and stopped. ✋️

The other trope that has gone wrong and is still headed in the wrong direction "Paradox And Power of Gamma Rays"...a video I initially put up having a little fun.

Al Ewing ran with it, and turned the idea into a perverse theme and story. He didn't harmonize it well with all the themes that went before it at all. He just did his own thing, then tried to fix it at the end of his run.

Banner tampering with gamma energy, giving he and the others god-like power as it was in the scope of gammas early Marvel Comics history, is what worked. Connecting it strictly to horror, gore and evil is what doesn't work...

Go figure...
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Spectacular Member

Hulk 14.

Also Cates/Ottley's Hulk run is getting an omnibus. LOL

Glad to see Klein is doing this issue too. He may do 15 but I doubt it. Would love to see him off after this till 19/800 provided its a 60-80 page story. And hopefully a more traditional Hulk fill in chosen. I see a ton of artists doing killer "90's style" roided up freaks & monsters, and I would love to have many of them on this when Klein isnt.

Mindscape huh?

Maybe hoping too much but I'm kind of reminded of when Green Scar was posessed by the Leader and kept Devil locked up when Xemnu had kind of messed Bruce up (Joe was also stuck as well). Maybe see what the other alters have been up to (Savage and Joe, at least) Perhaps they're also bitter about the whole "Starship Hulk" business.

chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Spectacular Member

"Mindscape huh?

Maybe hoping too much but I'm kind of reminded of when Green Scar was posessed by the Leader and kept Devil locked up when Xemnu had kind of messed Bruce up (Joe was also stuck as well). Maybe see what the other alters have been up to (Savage and Joe, at least) Perhaps they're also bitter about the whole "Starship Hulk" business."

Leader gained knowledge/power from the tiding fly from the 9th Cosmos. Leader shapeshifted his form to look like Green Scar. Mainly in mental realms but once in confronting Xemnu he did it physically. Albeit very diff looking.
    Last edited by FrazettaHulk; 04-18-2024 at 03:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Captain America Happy Meal toy leaks.

https://twitter.com/BRMarvelNews/sta...74439993167940
    Last edited by Cth; 04-18-2024 at 09:23 PM.

Fantastic Member

Ok. I just read through Immortal Hulk and I LOVED IT! Hulk is my new favorite character in Marvel. This was so awesome.

Just watched the Justice League Unlimited episode where General Eiling (JK Simmon's character) turns himself into a Hulk-like monster (I'm aware this is also from an earlier comic appearance as well). Kind of similar to what later happens with the Red Hulk in Marvel...

Spectacular Member

Hello, Quick question. I dont read Incredible Hulk, so i am curious if WE know wich Hulk personnality IS dominant in this run ?

PKJ said on Twitter I think that it's the Green Scar (The mostly intelligent Hulk from Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, and the Hulk family/Incredible Hulks.) who hasn't really been seen since the end of the Jason Aaron run (Which I'm pretty sure was also the last time the title was "The Incredible Hulk" instead of Indestructible, Immortal, Totally Awesome, no adjective etc). In the previous run, Banner used a "Mind palace" to basically keep the Savage Hulk persona as an 'engine' for travelling through space using his rage as fuel while Banner controlled the Hulk's body, and Green Scar is NOT happy about that.

There was a fake-out in Immortal with the Green Scar appearing to Savage but as noted in the post above he was either possessed or his Mindscape image taken by the Leader.

the Eldest is so huge. I wonder how the Hulk will end up defeating (and hopefully destroying) it?

Guessing this run will probably end with Banner and the Hulk perhaps settling their differences or at least reaching some kind of understanding, to set up for the next writer.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    There's been a few things that have been troubling me for years about the mythos of the character and where it has horribly gone wrong. A couple of tropes that have been mishandled and "misunderstood"; more than the correct telling of the Hulk's story himself; have taken the lore off track and headed to a "dead end", more times than it should have.

One is the idea that Banner is like unto Prometheus, who stole power from the Gods and gave it to man. Bruce Banner is not literally Prometheus no more than Doctor Frankenstein, it's only a comparison that was started by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and popularized by Peter Allen David. The story was told in a novel, then in The Incredible Hulk: The End graphic novel. That is where the metaphor should have started and stopped. ✋️

The other trope that has gone wrong and is still headed in the wrong direction "Paradox And Power of Gamma Rays"...a video I initially put up having a little fun.

Al Ewing ran with it, and turned the idea into a perverse theme and story. He didn't harmonize it well with all the themes that went before it at all. He just did his own thing, then tried to fix it at the end of his run.

Banner tampering with gamma energy, giving he and the others god-like power as it was in the scope of gammas early Marvel Comics history, is what worked. Connecting it strictly to horror, gore and evil is what doesn't work...

Go figure...
    I disagree, I feel like horro and tragedy are some of Hulk's strongest aspects story wise and something Ewing,PKJ, PAD and Lee/Kirby succeeded at especially, emphasizing the tragedy and scary aspects of the Hulk. Is it the only thinks that make it work? No, but I think it's one of the aspects that keep me coming back and interested in his character and story.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Guessing this run will probably end with Banner and the Hulk perhaps settling their differences or at least reaching some kind of understanding, to set up for the next writer.

Funny, I always thought it was a more intelligent Savage, finding out it's Green Scar adds a new interesting level to PKJ's story. I feel like it will end up with them coming to some terms, but I would love to see how PKJ'S handle the other personas ?(honestly if Devil could return, I would be more than happy).

Ewing kind of hinted that Devil wasn't truly dead a few times. Technically Banner himself was dead inside the Hulk's mind for a time until he kind of pieced himself back together during Crossroads.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    I disagree, I feel like horro and tragedy are some of Hulk's strongest aspects story wise and something Ewing,PKJ, PAD and Lee/Kirby succeeded at especially, emphasizing the tragedy and scary aspects of the Hulk. Is it the only thinks that make it work? No, but I think it's one of the aspects that keep me coming back and interested in his character and story.
    I think tragedy and Hulk go hand in hand, and Hulk visiting the horror genre every once in a while is cool, but he shouldn't get lost there. The gore aspect is what is throwing it off for me now. It doesn't speak Marvel. Marvel Comic characters live in a diverse themed universe, and Hulk is no different. On the cover of the very first issue of Hulk by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby it read The Incredible Hulk [[[Fantasy]]] As You Like It, so in my opinion many aspects work that are interesting including fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, drama, etc...
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being