Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    On the Frankenstein topic, one of Jack's early renditions of the Hulk (First time he was green too) in Incredible Hulk #2 (Inked by Ditko) looks a lot like a picture from the (then lost) 1910 Frankenstein movie made by Thomas Edison's film studio.

I am not sure, to me he looked in this specific example more than any else like Boris Karloff as Frankensteins monster.

Kind of has the general Boris look but the pose seems almost directly inspired by the picture (Which for a while, was pretty much the only trace of that film).

Speaking of Frankenstein in general the Edison version kind of sells the "sewn together corpse" angle of Frankenstein a bit better than the later films did....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Default FACT - The Proverbial Question...

Is He...

Is He...

Or Is He...

What do you think the creators of the Hulk; Jack Kirby and Stan Lee meant by the definition "monster" as far as Hulk is concerned?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-11-2024 at 09:41 PM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Spectacular Member

According to icv2's website, The Incredible Hulk 7 ranked 20th on the charts. Issue 8 ranked 45th. Which is obviously a "'Not great Bob!" development. Conceding that this is from a fan of this run perspective. Marvel doesnt seem to be doing the double sized issues for issue 12s anymore that would usually be a great jumping on point for readers back in the day. Issue 19/800 doesnt drop until December and I dont think PKJ can wait that long w/o something major to be marketed to bring in the ones lost and maybe new readers as well. When we get the solicits for 12 this month, it should read like a self contained event arc imo. The way "Hulk in Hell" was for Immortal Hulk. If its just another arc in this, then officially panicked. Once your in mid 40s not that far to drop untill your book is in the 60s/70s or worse. Which means another reboot using god knows who for Hulk or the creative teams. Also I would ask Nic is his output would improve if he used another person as an inker. Maybe goes from 8 Hulk issues a year to 10.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrazettaHulk View Post
    According to icv2's website, The Incredible Hulk 7 ranked 20th on the charts. Issue 8 ranked 45th. Which is obviously a "'Not great Bob!" development. Conceding that this is from a fan of this run perspective. Marvel doesnt seem to be doing the double sized issues for issue 12s anymore that would usually be a great jumping on point for readers back in the day. Issue 19/800 doesnt drop until December and I dont think PKJ can wait that long w/o something major to be marketed to bring in the ones lost and maybe new readers as well. When we get the solicits for 12 this month, it should read like a self contained event arc imo. The way "Hulk in Hell" was for Immortal Hulk. If its just another arc in this, then officially panicked. Once your in mid 40s not that far to drop untill your book is in the 60s/70s or worse. Which means another reboot using god knows who for Hulk or the creative teams. Also I would ask Nic is his output would improve if he used another person as an inker. Maybe goes from 8 Hulk issues a year to 10.
    I feel like you're unnecessarily panicking a bit too much over this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Is He...

Is He...

Or Is He...

What do you think the creators of the Hulk; Jack Kirby and Stan Lee meant by the definition "monster" as far as Hulk is concerned?
    They both worked in the monsters' books, so I'd hazard their definition of monster was standard as seen trough the 50's at Marvel (Atlas).
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-11-2024 at 09:41 PM.

BANNED

This is all fine. Hulk #7 was in 20th place in December, while Superman was in 24th place, G.O.D.S. #3 was in 28th place, they aint cancelling Superman any time soon and they aint cancelling Hickmans event either, they wont cancel Hulk. Also the Hulk #8 literally came out on January 31st, so saying issue 8 ranked 45th makes no sense, they only have the data for one day and not even the whole day at that.

We are far, far away before we have to worry about Hulks sales, besides if they are clever Hulk #800 is coming in 11 issues, if they capitalize on it, which they will it will be a nice sales boost.

Wonder Woman new comic just started and she already dropped as low as Hulk on the sales, they aint cancelling her any time soon. It's just that the whole industry is very weak and has been dying a very, very slow death for decades now...

Quote Originally Posted by comictimes View Post
    They both worked in the monsters' books, so I'd hazard their definition of monster was standard as seen trough the 50's at Marvel (Atlas).
    I'm not sure if Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's idea of Hulk being a "monster" was the complete standard definition. As both have stated both Banner and Hulk are heroes. Some confuse the idea of them labeling Hulk/Banner a monster means they are innately evil...that's completely wrong...

Here's a video exploring Jack Kirby's understanding of what he believes "monsters" represent...

"KIRBY: Well I don’t think that monsters are ever mysterious. Monsters in human or inhuman form are living things with problems which vex them sorely in some way. And therefore, they’re inevitably involved in some sort of conflict, in which anybody can get hurt. I don’t think monsters zero in on anyone in particular, and I think that’s why they’re generally pitied more than feared. And I felt the same way about them. I felt that monsters in some way had problems."
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 02-11-2024 at 07:16 PM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Fantastic Member

Potential Hulk easter egg in the new Deadpool 3 trailer.

https://twitter.com/3CFilmss/status/1756875160534077685

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGGspa8X...g&name=360x360

Looks like the soda Stan drinks in The Incredible Hulk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    I'm not sure if Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's idea of Hulk being a "monster" was the complete standard definition. As both have stated both Banner and Hulk are heroes. Some confuse the idea of them labeling Hulk/Banner a monster means they are innately evil...that's completely wrong...

Here's a video exploring Jack Kirby's understanding of what he believes "monsters" represent...

"KIRBY: Well I don’t think that monsters are ever mysterious. Monsters in human or inhuman form are living things with problems which vex them sorely in some way. And therefore, they’re inevitably involved in some sort of conflict, in which anybody can get hurt. I don’t think monsters zero in on anyone in particular, and I think that’s why they’re generally pitied more than feared. And I felt the same way about them. I felt that monsters in some way had problems."
    Duly noted.

Rufallo is confirmed to be returning as Banner/Hulk in Captain Brave New World. The storyline it's based on and villain are supposed to be Hulk's anyway....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Rufallo is confirmed to be returning as Banner/Hulk in Captain Brave New World. The storyline it's based on and villain are supposed to be Hulk's anyway....
    Or... maybe not.

IGN @IGN
    UPDATE: Multiple sources have clarified with Variety that Mark Ruffalo is not going to appear in Captain America: Brave New World. Sources say that the actor misspoke.

Read more here: https://bit.ly/3HZ2ev0

Ruffalo also says Feige told him Hulk is never getting another solo movie.

I wouldn’t worry too much, the ICV2 rankings have a ton of fluctuation. Superman at one point was in the 40s, now he’s back in the top 25. Long as Hulk stays in the top 50 he’ll continue. I do want PKJ to start pulling the trigger on the overarching Mother of Horrors storyline soon though.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kolwyr View Post
    Or... maybe not.

IGN @IGN
    UPDATE: Multiple sources have clarified with Variety that Mark Ruffalo is not going to appear in Captain America: Brave New World. Sources say that the actor misspoke.

Read more here: https://bit.ly/3HZ2ev0
    I would like to hear him in a scripted audio drama based on his Hulk experiences on Sakaar, the "lost years". That would be an alternative that would not be nearly as expensive as a movie.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 02-12-2024 at 10:03 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ruffalo also says Feige told him Hulk is never getting another solo movie.

I wouldn’t worry too much, the ICV2 rankings have a ton of fluctuation. Superman at one point was in the 40s, now he’s back in the top 25. Long as Hulk stays in the top 50 he’ll continue. I do want PKJ to start pulling the trigger on the overarching Mother of Horrors storyline soon though.
    Yeah, most of ICV2s rankings are affected by when a book is released during the month.

That's why there's lot of fluctuations. A book might not be in the top 100 one month but enter another month.

Folks in the industry (like Dan Slott) have acknowledged this fact.