Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Is there a link to who these new Champions are?
    They were from a variant cover set last year and cameoed in Timeless last month. Not all are on this team - Storm's counterpart Maystorm is being used in Ultimate X-Men (the actual Ultimate Storm is in Ultimate Black Panther instead).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Marvel's history of getting rid of kids...

spoilers:

Pete and MJ's kid dies at birth.
    Cyclops and Maddie's son Nathan is infected with T/O virus and is sent into the future...returns as Cable but the point is that Scott doesn't need to actually be shown raising his son in real time.
    Rahne and Hrimhari's son Tier is killed by Guido
    Siryn and Madrox's child...after showing Siryn going through the whole pregnancy...is just a Madrox dupe who is reabsorbed by Madrox.
    Johnny Storm's baby mama shows up to tell him she is pregnant...only to end the story by her jumping into the time platform and disappearing...never to be seen again.
    Steve Rogers adopts child Ian Zola in Dimension Z...but Steve comes home alone leaving Ian behind only for an adult Ian to show up later because time runs differently in Dimension z
    Dishonorable mention: Jean Grey's nephew and niece...died before Krakoa but should be backed up in Cerebro. You would think Jean would ask for her family be prioritized but the kids are not even mentioned.
    end of spoilers
    Thank you, you can also add Havoc and the Wasp's daughter from Uncanny Avengers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    Thank you, you can also add Havoc and the Wasp's daughter from Uncanny Avengers
    Her as well...Marvel should not introduce children (or the possibility of children) without the commitment to see it through that the kid grows up relatively normally.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Her as well...Marvel should not introduce children (or the possibility of children) without the commitment to see it through that the kid grows up relatively normally.
    Exactly! If my daughters were infants and then suddenly teenagers or adults I would be devastated. Missing out on all the years they were growing up. Marvel went with the perceived quick fix instead of leaving well enough alone. Editorial is pretty heartless. They need to put themselves in Jess’ shoes so they can realize how traumatizing this is. Marvel has completely destroyed Dennis Hopeless Hallum’s run. A successful run I might add.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Exactly! If my daughters were infants and then suddenly teenagers or adults I would be devastated. Missing out on all the years they were growing up. Marvel went with the perceived quick fix instead of leaving well enough alone. Editorial is pretty heartless. They need to put themselves in Jess’ shoes so they can realize how traumatizing this is. Marvel has completely destroyed Dennis Hopeless Hallum’s run. A successful run I might add.
    That's exactly why they do it...super hero comics are at their heart soap opera, any long form story telling is actually. Add to that, there's very little about super hero characters or their lives that classify as "normal" they are by definition abnormal. Relationships are used to create dramatic tension, families are used for dramatic tension. How do you create that with characters who face world ending situations on a daily basis...you put their loved ones in mortal jeopardy, completely remove them from the person's life (death, disappearance) or alter them in a way that creates tension...age up, mind wipe, villainous turn. Watch any five episodes of a daily soap opera and you will generally see these played out in some form. (Are there any soap operas even on tv any more?) The evil family member is likewise an age old trope for serialized fiction.
    Plus, Gerry is hardly the first. Cable is probably the biggest example. Franklin Richards has at times been aged up down and sideways. More recently, Jon Kent in Superman. With Hydra having a history of aging kids up (isn't that in one of Jessica's origins?) it's not really a surprise they went that route. We've been talking about that possibility in this thread even.

All that to say...heroes having kids is going to happen and those kids being put in ridiculously abnormal situations is going to happen including aging up for the very reason that it allows them to create emotional and mental trauma for the hero but also creates a certain degree of emotional resonation with the reader...and that generates talk and talk potentially turns into sales.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Jessica wasn't aged up, quite the opposite in fact, she was in cryostasis due to an illness (radiation poisoning), I think? She may be physically in her 30s, but she was born much further back than the 1980s.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jessi...16)#Experiment
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jessica wasn't aged up, quite the opposite in fact, she was in cryostasis due to an illness (radiation poisoning), I think? She may be physically in her 30s, but she was born much further back than the 1980s.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jessi...16)#Experiment
    I was thinking one of hers was that she was aged up. they've messed with her origin here and there and I forget what is or isn't. Thanks for clarification.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    That's exactly why they do it...super hero comics are at their heart soap opera, any long form story telling is actually. Add to that, there's very little about super hero characters or their lives that classify as "normal" they are by definition abnormal. Relationships are used to create dramatic tension, families are used for dramatic tension. How do you create that with characters who face world ending situations on a daily basis...you put their loved ones in mortal jeopardy, completely remove them from the person's life (death, disappearance) or alter them in a way that creates tension...age up, mind wipe, villainous turn. Watch any five episodes of a daily soap opera and you will generally see these played out in some form. (Are there any soap operas even on tv any more?) The evil family member is likewise an age old trope for serialized fiction.
    Plus, Gerry is hardly the first. Cable is probably the biggest example. Franklin Richards has at times been aged up down and sideways. More recently, Jon Kent in Superman. With Hydra having a history of aging kids up (isn't that in one of Jessica's origins?) it's not really a surprise they went that route. We've been talking about that possibility in this thread even.

All that to say...heroes having kids is going to happen and those kids being put in ridiculously abnormal situations is going to happen including aging up for the very reason that it allows them to create emotional and mental trauma for the hero but also creates a certain degree of emotional resonation with the reader...and that generates talk and talk potentially turns into sales.
    Well Jess could definitely use the sales. I just don’t see a solution that most people don’t like improving sales. It will be interesting how Marvel plays this. Hero/villain? Frequent appearances or does Gerry just run off with Hydra and disappear into the sun set. Hopefully all this mental trauma doesn’t turn Jess into a crazy person. It will be interesting. I’m sure she is going to turn Hydra upside down and get to the bottom of it.

Extraordinary Member

Well Jess could definitely use the sales. I just don’t see a solution that most people don’t like improving sales. It will be interesting how Marvel plays this. Hero/villain? Frequent appearances or does Gerry just run off with Hydra and disappear into the sun set. Hopefully all this mental trauma doesn’t turn Jess into a crazy person. It will be interesting. I’m sure she is going to turn Hydra upside down and get to the bottom of it.
    And I still go back to "how did Hydra make everyone forget Gerry?"
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Extraordinary Member

Foxe just keeps pissing me off with this crap. spoilers:
    Wouldn't Lindsay or her niece Rebecca make more sense for a babysitter considering the break up? And Roger finds himself in an apartment with a kid and just abandons him? And since everyone forgot Gerry because Jess got erased...wouldn't they remember the little guy when Jess came back?
    end of spoilers

Wouldn't Lindsay or her niece Rebecca make more sense for a babysitter considering the break up? And Roger finds himself in an apartment with a kid and just abandons him? And since everyone forgot Gerry because Jess got erased...wouldn't they remember the little guy when Jess came back?
    end of spoilers
    I’m sure there’s more to it than that.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, there's got to be more to it, otherwise Carol and Julia would've remembered.
    end of spoilers

end of spoilers
    I have to agree with you here. This is pretty effed up. Does Jess even have a supporting cast anymore?

Extraordinary Member

I have to agree with you here. This is pretty effed up. Does Jess even have a supporting cast anymore?
    Apparently they all forgot her.