Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Oof, something easy to miss here, Jess's origin has been altered again. Gerry said what happened to him is the same thing that happened to her. She was aged up as well! So had Hydra not grabbed her back then, she'd probably be a decade or so younger.
    Was it altered or were the writer and editor just ignorant of what the High Evolutionary actually did? Actually, I'm not sure I recall what exactly happened -- didn't she continue aging at a natural pace while unconscious and being treated by the High Evolutionary. I don't recall what happened in that mini-series that revised her origin -- most because I didn't think the change was good or necessary.
    e

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Oof, something easy to miss here, Jess's origin has been altered again. Gerry said what happened to him is the same thing that happened to her. She was aged up as well! So had Hydra not grabbed her back then, she'd probably be a decade or so younger.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Was it altered or were the writer and editor just ignorant of what the High Evolutionary actually did? Actually, I'm not sure I recall what exactly happened -- didn't she continue aging at a natural pace while unconscious and being treated by the High Evolutionary. I don't recall what happened in that mini-series that revised her origin -- most because I didn't think the change was good or necessary.
    e
    I don't think Jess was speaking literally about the aging. Just the Hydra brainwashing.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Sadly this book has taken absolutely everything I loved about the Hopeless book and thrown it out. I gave it a chance, but this one isn't for me
    I have to agree with you. Hopeless’ run was well written and I thought it was great what he did with Roger. Gerry, Roger and Ben were her best supporting cast. What they did with Gerry doesn’t make any sense. I’ll see how it turns out but I’m not optimistic.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm dropping this book until we know the fate of Gerry.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    To broaden this a bit...why would Hydra go around snatching kids and going through all the trouble or aging them up and making people forget them? Why not just get some scientist who can create super humans out of their loyal soldiers??
    Maybe those new Champions from the variant covers that Jessica will meet, are some of those other Hydra snatched kids?

Good call. And they've broken free, and inspired by Kamala's team, take it upon themselves to become their west coast branch? Hence the name New Champions, and patterning themselves on existing heroes like Kamala, Miles, Sam, Amadeus and Riri all did.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This whole thing smacks of editorial mandate.
    Doubt it. If they were going for synergy, they'd replace her with her Spider-Verse movie counterpart - who is getting introduced to the comics in May's issue of Edge of Spider-Verse. Bear in mind that version was pregnant, so keeping Gerry around would've served synergy, not getting rid of him. This was likely Foxe's own decision.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I get the negative aspect of the pregnancy story in that FF issue...but at the same time Johnny does get around and a woman turning up saying she is pregnant with his kid should be a story of Johnny stepping up and taking responsibility...not of "let's get rid of the woman by throwing her into the time stream so Johnny doesn't have to take responsibility". Not necessarily saying he needed to marry the woman...but step up and be the baby's daddy.
    I haven't read it in a few years, but that isn't a fair reflection of the story. Johnny and the female character were essentially sexually assaulted by Psycho Woman, who forced them to have sex. After the battle was done and the villain defeated, Reed planned to go back in time and stop the assault from ever happening by stopping Psycho Woman from ever attacking in the first place. Amy, the female character, decided she wanted to keep the pregnancy and stole the time platform and vanished. He wasnt really given the chance to step up.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Too bad it was Thing and not Human Torch who got a New Champion legacy. If it was Torch, they could've referenced that (not all of the New Champions from those variant covers are going to be in the team in Spider-Woman, Storm's is in Ultimate X-Men instead).
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I haven't read it in a few years, but that isn't a fair reflection of the story. Johnny and the female character were essentially sexually assaulted by Psycho Woman, who forced them to have sex. After the battle was done and the villain defeated, Reed planned to go back in time and stop the assault from ever happening by stopping Psycho Woman from ever attacking in the first place. Amy, the female character, decided she wanted to keep the pregnancy and stole the time platform and vanished. He wasnt really given the chance to step up.
    I would have to go back and read it but I do not believe Reed was going to alter that. My point is about how a woman shows up at FF HQ saying she is pregnant (this is before they knew of Psycho Woman's involvement) and their solution is to protect her from their enemies by sending her somewhere in time instead of having Johnny have to step up and be a father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I have to agree with you. Hopeless’ run was well written and I thought it was great what he did with Roger. Gerry, Roger and Ben were her best supporting cast. What they did with Gerry doesn’t make any sense. I’ll see how it turns out but I’m not optimistic.
    Pacheco and Foxe have really just destroyed all the great work Hallum put in. People with lives, relationships and jobs to support themselves traded for all action all the time and no means of support.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 02-22-2024 at 07:34 AM.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

It's so amusing to watch the tide turning....before it was "Spider-Woman doesn't need a kid, they need to get rid of the kid, Hallum is just self inserting" and now it's "why did they get rid of her kid, Hallum was great for doing it, what a rip-off" Really comics fans just can't be made happy.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    It's so amusing to watch the tide turning....before it was "Spider-Woman doesn't need a kid, they need to get rid of the kid, Hallum is just self inserting" and now it's "why did they get rid of her kid, Hallum was great for doing it, what a rip-off" Really comics fans just can't be made happy.
    Many of us have been pro Hallum, pro Gerry and pro Roger all along.

Astonishing Member

I'm from the crowd who avoided the Hopeless run. But the damage was done (don't know why editorial okayed the pregnancy), so a story dealing with the kid doesn't have much appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I think it's just that happy readers are less likely to comment than angry ones. I doubt most of the people in group A are also in group B.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Looks like Earth-332's Jessica Drew is being brought into the comics sphere of the Marvel Multiverse for the upcoming Spider Society event/arc:

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

I guess Marvel doesn't want to deal with the hassle of Jessica being a single mom anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Looks like Earth-332's Jessica Drew is being brought into the comics sphere of the Marvel Multiverse for the upcoming Spider Society event/arc:

Hopefully not running around pregnant this time .