Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default The Aqua(man) family Appreciation 2024

The Aqua(man) family Appreciation 2024

Happy New Year to the Aqua-Family !

Here's to an Aquaman book happening this year!!!

Happy New Year
    Long may they reign

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

This might not seem like much but if what I hear is accurate with Aquaman 2's second weekend, it currently has managed to attain a box office of 250 million.

At minimum making back it's budget of 205-215 million.

So if it continues at this right and potentially makes even, it will be DC's highest making movie compared to Blue Beetle 130 million, Shazam 2's 133 million, and The Flash's 270 million.

Which hey at least it will be Aquaman who ends the DCEU with some dignity.

Here's hoping for a great 2024 for the Aqua Family.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Titans – Beast World Tour – Atlantis #1 featured pretty much all of the Aquafam.

Arthur, Mera, Andy, Jackson, Garth, Tula, Dolphin, Manta

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Titans – Beast World Tour – Atlantis #1 featured pretty much all of the Aquafam.

If these anthologies are good enough for something at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    This might not seem like much but if what I hear is accurate with Aquaman 2's second weekend, it currently has managed to attain a box office of 250 million.

At minimum making back it's budget of 205-215 million.

So if it continues at this right and potentially makes even, it will be DC's highest making movie compared to Blue Beetle 130 million, Shazam 2's 133 million, and The Flash's 270 million.

Which hey at least it will be Aquaman who ends the DCEU with some dignity.
    He gave DCEU dignity with the first movie which extended the life of the entire project, now he will end DCEU as you say. this without any marketing or push by WB, as some, say done on purpose by the studio, if Aquaman did well, how could you justify Aquaman not being in Gunn's slate? who hasn't even uttered a word regarding Wan's movie. Gunn is no plans for Arthur.
    Treated as garbage by DC be it comics, movies, video games. When as the movie has shown Aquaman has great potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Andy girl has some powers "No Mama, Bye....."

grown up Andy could really be a powerhouse with those powers she gets from her parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    He gave DCEU dignity with the first movie which extended the life of the entire project, now he will end DCEU as you say. this without any marketing or push by WB, as some, say done on purpose by the studio, if Aquaman did well, how could you justify Aquaman not being in Gunn's slate? who hasn't even uttered a word regarding Wan's movie. Gunn is no plans for Arthur.
    Treated as garbage by DC be it comics, movies, video games. When as the movie has shown Aquaman has great potential.
    Generally speaking I'm not a fan of Momoa and I'm not very interested in these two Aquaman movies, but I probably will never understand why they had no impact and why DC/WB didn't try to capitalize on them.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Generally speaking I'm not a fan of Momoa and I'm not very interested in these two Aquaman movies, but I probably will never understand why they had no impact and why DC/WB didn't try to capitalize on them.
    The most they tried to capitalize on it is purely on visuals with the KSD run giving Arthur Polynesia tats........ which was already out of date since it came out after the Aquaman movie gave Arthur his classic scale mail costume and thats been his main suit since.

Ironically the movie emblemized the noble villain characterization for Orm to the public conscience while the comics instead double-downed on him being a cartoon villain....... in favor of portraying Manta as the redeemable rogue.

Extraordinary Member

I wish we knew what was really Garth and what was the spore
    Why is he distancing himself from his friends

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    The first movie is possible the closest an origin story for the character that can be done. Even in consideration of what was revealed in Justice League. First movie was co-written by Johns, a writer that has had a major impact on the Aqua characters, it is based nearly entirely on his successful run. I am no fan of Momoa myself, I don't credit him as being the reason for the success of the movie as some claim. The sequel is the classic, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, despite being based on Momoa alone, it's not even close to the first and definitely not a hit. Therefore Momoa was not the only reason of the first movie being a huge hit.

As for why they did not capitalize on the movie success? It is a million dollar question which requires a billion dollar answer. What not to do when your movie is a hit would be appropriate. They utterly did nothing, took them ages to do a sequel instead of putting it on fast track, cherry on the cake, they even had him replaced in comics by a new Aquaman.

The most they tried to capitalize on it is purely on visuals with the KSD run giving Arthur Polynesia tats........ which was already out of date since it came out after the Aquaman movie gave Arthur his classic scale mail costume and thats been his main suit since.

Ironically the movie emblemized the noble villain characterization for Orm to the public conscience while the comics instead double-downed on him being a cartoon villain....... in favor of portraying Manta as the redeemable rogue.
    KSD run started exactly with the release of the first movie, It was certainly not the way how to capitalize from the movie, as the slow start of that run had an amnesiac Arthur in a strange place, Mera was a no show, no sign either of Orm, Vulko, Manta etc in the beginning of Deconnick's run. Nothing to connect with the movie for any potential new reader. The tats came in when any interest had fizzled out.

As for Manta redeemable rogue, that is post KSD, spearheaded by Andrea Shea and Brandon Thomas. Shea was the one who pushed for jackson being the new Aquaman, let alone capitalizing on the movie. In Aquaman's 80th anniversary in 2021, they had a special edition book to celebrate the King of the 7 Seas, it had stories pushing his replacement in it. Instead of using that special edition to celebrate 80 years of his mythos, they tried to use it against him. Problem for Aquaman is that since Johns left DC, nobody really cares about him.

Everyone gets a comic, even Blue Beetle, but not one of the founders of the Justice League and the one with the Best all time Box Office of all DC characters which include the more famous ones. That says it all.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 01-02-2024 at 02:39 PM.

The tats were always a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The tats were always a bad idea.
    even the long hair and the beard are a bad idea?