Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    KSD run started exactly with the release of the first movie, It was certainly not the way how to capitalize from the movie, as the slow start of that run had an amnesiac Arthur in a strange place, Mera was a no show, no sign either of Orm, Vulko, Manta etc in the beginning of Deconnick's run. Nothing to connect with the movie for any potential new reader. The tats came in when any interest had fizzled out.

As for Manta redeemable rogue, that is post KSD, spearheaded by Andrea Shea and Brandon Thomas. Shea was the one who pushed for jackson being the new Aquaman, let alone capitalizing on the movie. In Aquaman's 80th anniversary in 2021, they had a special edition book to celebrate the King of the 7 Seas, it had stories pushing his replacement in it. Instead of using that special edition to celebrate 80 years of his mythos, they tried to use it against him. Problem for Aquaman is that since Johns left DC, nobody really cares about him.

Everyone gets a comic, even Blue Beetle, but not one of the founders of the Justice League and the one with the Best all time Box Office of all DC characters which include the more famous ones. That says it all.
    Huh which stories were used in the 80th Anniversary special?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Huh which stories were used in the 80th Anniversary special?
    in particular the last one, it was meant as prequel for the mini that followed. Written by the same writer Brandon Thomas and with the same editor of those minis, Andrea Shea. Who was also behind the mini about Black Manta, who has a solo story in the book(no Aquaman it) These two minis are promoted in the book.
    Even in today's issue of Titan Beast World tour, the story that features Jackson and no Arthur, has as editor Shea.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 01-02-2024 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The tats were always a bad idea.
    Like I like the Polynesian race-lift for the character in the movie, but the character is still ultimately a white guy in the comics. Giving him tribal tats is just cringy cause he has no connection with the culture. You can't force it like that, especially with how significant those tats are to those people's culture.

in particular the last one, it was meant as prequel for the mini that followed. Written by the same writer Brandon Thomas and with the same editor of those minis, Andrea Shea. Who was also behind the mini about Black Manta, who has a solo story in the book(no Aquaman it) These two minis are promoted in the book.
    Even in today's issue of Titan Beast World tour, the story that features Jackson and no Arthur, has as editor Shea.
    Well its unfortunate the Anniversary Special instead of being perfectly standalone is stuck with a prequel to a failed initiative.

Makes it funny that it failed though regardless of the editor constantly pushing it. We'll get a new true Aquaman ongoing one of these days, I believe it.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 01-02-2024 at 10:03 PM.

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-02-2024 at 10:53 PM.

Last edited by Agent Z; 01-02-2024 at 10:52 PM.

Like I like the Polynesian race-lift for the character in the movie, but the character is still ultimately a white guy in the comics. Giving him tribal tats is just cringy cause he has no connection with the culture. You can't force it like that, especially with how significant those tats are to those people's culture.

Well its unfortunate the Anniversary Special instead of being perfectly standalone is stuck with a prequel to a failed initiative.

Makes it funny that it failed though regardless of the editor constantly pushing it. We'll get a new true Aquaman ongoing one of these days, I believe it.
    Hope you are right but that editor has not given up, latest issue of Titans Beast World Tour is a clear example of that. The only problem is that Jackson is written very badly, in the other minis the new Aquaman is imprisoned for 6 years, he tortures Orm among other things, in this he's a brat that has endangered all Atlantis, he was supposed to protect baby Andy and the Baby had to defend herself, which she does successfully without his help.
    Can't understand how shea thinks all this can endear him to readers.

They definitely have enough ongoing characters/storylines to warrant a new ongoing at this point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Titans – Beast World Tour – Atlantis #1 featured pretty much all of the Aquafam.

Arthur, Mera, Andy, Jackson, Garth, Tula, Dolphin, Manta
    Hopefully Lorena, Aquagirl, returns in 2024

They definitely have enough ongoing characters/storylines to warrant a new ongoing at this point.
    Any new book must be handed to a writer that has what it takes to keep it around. Joshua Williamson would be ideal, he is making miracles with Green Arrow who sells even less than Aquaman.
    Useless to have a new Aquaman ongoing that can't stay afloat. Another failure, spells years of no Aquaman books.
    A writer that understands these characters, has an idea of what works with Aquaman and what doesn't. Only that might bring back the lapsed fans.

Above all the infighting at DC regarding who shall be Aquaman is the most important issue. rich johnson recently revealed that the marketing department fiercely resisted changes that editors wanted to push.

Any new book must be handed to a writer that has what it takes to keep it around. Joshua Williamson would be ideal, he is making miracles with Green Arrow who sells even less than Aquaman.
    Useless to have a new Aquaman ongoing that can't stay afloat. Another failure, spells years of no Aquaman books.
    A writer that understands these characters, has an idea of what works with Aquaman and what doesn't. Only that might bring back the lapsed fans.

Above all the infighting at DC regarding who shall be Aquaman is the most important issue. rich johnson recently revealed that the marketing department fiercely resisted changes that editors wanted to push.
    I'd be down for Williamson Aquaman .

I think that all anniversary specials have some storylines that serve as prequels to upcoming series or story arcs. I guess what made Aquaman's case unique is that instead of him being in those prequels they focused on the secondary characters.

Did you like team-up with Flash in Voidsong? It was probably my favorite Aquaman story since Parker's run, but that creative team is probably unlikely to generate sales.

Voidsong was much better than the Aquaman/Green Arrow mini.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think that all anniversary specials have some storylines that serve as prequels to upcoming series or story arcs. I guess what made Aquaman's case unique is that instead of him being in those prequels they focused on the secondary characters.

Did you like team-up with Flash in Voidsong? It was probably my favorite Aquaman story since Parker's run, but that creative team is probably unlikely to generate sales.
    I liked Voidsong very much, agreed that it was one the best stories in the last years.

Personally I liked Endless Winter Aquaman more. In one issue they managed to capture the essence of Aquaman and tie in, with what came before and the current story. However as I said before, you need creative teams that can give the book a boost in sales.

Since you mentioned Parker, I would like him to return and continue his run, which I consider unjustly underestimated. He was removed from that run because of infighting at DC, a stupid decision as he was delivering a solid run with very good sales for an Aquaman comic.

Voidsong was much better than the Aquaman/Green Arrow mini.
    Which was written by Brandon Thomas who wrote The Becoming and Aquamen, That mini like all Aquaman books done by Thomas didn't even rank in sales chart.

Hope you are right but that editor has not given up, latest issue of Titans Beast World Tour is a clear example of that. The only problem is that Jackson is written very badly, in the other minis the new Aquaman is imprisoned for 6 years, he tortures Orm among other things, in this he's a brat that has endangered all Atlantis, he was supposed to protect baby Andy and the Baby had to defend herself, which she does successfully without his help.
    Can't understand how shea thinks all this can endear him to readers.
    Its funny how is push banks entirely on the popularity of Kaldur from Young Justice yet they refuse to actually write him anything like Kaldur from the show.

Which hey if Shea wants him portrayed like that, fine by me. Just keep him away from the main Aquaman ongoing. If she wants to tank any attempt at promoting Jackson then do it in a shitty back-up instead of the main Aquaman ongoing.