Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I mean, she could branch out, try and help other people tormented by magic or is in a dark place similar to her. Plus team up with other magical heroes.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Raven, Starfire, Donna Troy and Beast Boy all need their own goings to really stand on their own as characters. I think they've all got enough mythology to lend themselves to one. Nightwing and Wally really benefited from having ongoings.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I am going to start a re-read of the whole Future State saga.

Last edited by jmc247; 02-21-2024 at 12:13 PM.

I am going to start a re-read of the whole Future State saga.

I think Taylor is recycling whatever plans DC had for The Unkindness that didn't go through due to TTA being a mess behind the scenes. The name is different (Dark-Winged Queen) but the overall concept seems to be the same.

One of Raven's issues as I see it is the character is very unique a human-demon hybrid. What has been literally true over the past year of her humanity and demon being separate has been basically true for many years.

The failure to cultivate a middle ground has turned Raven into Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on super steroids. The standard human with super powers concept stops selling fast and then comes out Mr. Hyde. While writers have been to blame for this so too have been long time fans who say they want change, but rebel at the first sight of it and thus end up with the same stories repackaged. That is not to take away from the few issues that did attempt to bridge the characters divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    I think Taylor is recycling whatever plans DC had for The Unkindness that didn't go through due to TTA being a mess behind the scenes. The name is different (Dark-Winged Queen) but the overall concept seems to be the same.
    Yes, they are playing on that base concept and perhaps dealing with the unresolved intentions of the story arc.

Anyway. Iron Studios announced today a Raven statue going on sale soon.

The character summary
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-25-2024 at 05:59 PM.

Question

Some thoughts about Raven and shipper issues from someone who doesn't ship her with anyone and frankly doesn't care about ships.

They are important for maintaining the soap in fiction. It's rare to have good fictional comic book relationships. There exist two respectably popular shipper fan bases online between Raven and Beast Boy and Raven and Daimian Wayne. Each relationship when done well actually works to accentuate different parts of Raven's character. Shippers should be passionate, but also respectful of different opinions. Good natured online competition with fan art and stories never hurt anyone.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-25-2024 at 06:33 PM.

Raven vs the Spectre?

Extraordinary Member

Raven vs the Spectre?
    Again? The faught before

There exist two respectably popular shipper fan bases online between Raven and Beast Boy and Raven and Daimian Wayne. Each relationship when done well actually works to accentuate different parts of Raven's character. Shippers should be passionate, but also respectful of different opinions. Good natured online competition with fan art and stories never hurt anyone.
    Agreed. Shippers don't need to send death threats to comic-book writers, fan artists, and other ship fans who oppose their ship just because they prefer one character to be in a relationship with x characters than the other. At the end of the day they are fictional characters they don't need to take it so seriously.

Raven has a lot of fans from different generations due to the comics and media, and most of them like to see her in a relationship, from the 2000s and 2010s it was Beast Boy because the trope, "Opposite Attract" was very popular due to its appearance in various media. In 2016, Damian and Raven (potentially later on) as a couple gained fans when JLvsTT first started and they prefer a "Birds of Feather" type of couple (pun not intended) some of the fans who are fans of the ship were fans of Dick and Raven as a couple from the 2003 Teen Titans animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Agreed. Shippers don't need to send death threats to comic-book writers, fan artists, and other ship fans who oppose their ship just because they prefer one character to be in a relationship with x characters than the other. At the end of the day they are fictional characters they don't need to take it so seriously.

Raven has a lot of fans from different generations due to the comics and media, and most of them like to see her in a relationship, from the 2000s and 2010s it was Beast Boy because the trope, "Opposite Attract" was very popular due to its appearance in various media. In 2016, Damian and Raven (potentially later on) as a couple gained fans when JLvsTT first started and they prefer a "Birds of Feather" type of couple (pun not intended) some of the fans who are fans of the ship were fans of Dick and Raven as a couple from the 2003 Teen Titans animated series.
    In terms of the the past several years the Beast Boy and Raven shippers have been very well fed by DC in books and comics.

The Damian and Raven shippers not so much. They were hoping they would have appeared in the Crisis saga and now that won’t happen. Their last interaction in the comics was a fair bit ago.

I would say the next two or three years are going to continue be spring time for Beast Boy and Raven shippers. Longer if live action goes with that pairing as well. But, if they don’t that will start to flip back to Damian. In terms of the issue of Raven’s age I am cynical there. Whatever age the films decide on will impact the comics.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-02-2024 at 03:29 PM.

In terms of the the past several years the Beast Boy and Raven shippers have been very well fed by DC in books and comics.

The Damian and Raven shippers not so much. They were hoping they would have appeared in the Crisis saga and now that won’t happen. Their last interaction in the comics was a fair bit ago.

I would say the next two or three years are going to continue be spring time for Beast Boy and Raven shippers. Longer if live action goes with that pairing as well. But, if they don’t that will start to flip back to Damian. In terms of the issue of Raven’s age I am cynical there. Whatever age the films decide on will impact the comics.

I would prefer they kept Raven's current age (late twenties?) and her NTT history intact instead of regressing her into a teenager again. If DC wanted to resurrect her relationship with Damian and de-age her I would rather have a character who happens to be Raven's younger half-sister or if they do not want that approach, an alternative method would be to introduce a younger variant of her so that way it could keep both fanbases happy and eat their cake too.

It could be similar to Wallace and Emiko as a couple when the Young Justice (TV Show) shippers liked Wally and Artemis as a couple in the show but it would never happen in the comics due to Wally's decades-long relationship with Linda Park (being his wife and mother of his children) and Wallace/Emiko serving as a spiritual successor to the Wally/Artemis pairing.
    Last edited by Incognito; 03-04-2024 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    [/B]
    I would prefer they kept Raven's current age (late twenties?) and her NTT history intact instead of regressing her into a teenager again. If DC wanted to resurrect her relationship with Damian and de-age her I would rather have a character who happens to be Raven's younger half-sister or if they do not want that approach, an alternative method would be to introduce a younger variant of her so that way it could keep both fanbases happy and eat their cake too.

It could be similar to Wallace and Emiko as a couple when the Young Justice (TV Show) shippers liked Wally and Artemis as a couple in the show but it would never happen in the comics due to Wally's decades-long relationship with Linda Park (being his wife and mother of his children) and Wallace/Emiko serving as a spiritual successor to the Wally/Artemis pairing.
    Synergy hijacks all things in the comics. Not that there aren't ways of handling that which can make everyone at least partially happy. The reason Raven has a history of being deaged is Wolfman really didn't have a good idea of what to do with Raven and Trigon once Terror of Trigon was over.

Raven's story needed Trigon to push and pull against, but he was dead and she ran into the Buffy problem. Very sympathetic in her youth, less and less so as she got older and without Trigon around. The classic version of Raven was the most interesting and complex, but she needed a better game plan going into adulthood.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-10-2024 at 06:28 PM.

Art update

More flashbacks from the Unkindness.

The Unkindness story proved very popular even though it was left a very half baked only partially told tale. The story carried over to the Deadly Crisis storyline with super charged Raven showing signs of the Unkindness when powered up on dark energy and also it showed her full demon form sans humanity.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-10-2024 at 07:04 PM.

Based on what it proved to be popular?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Based on what it proved to be popular?
    Much talked about online if you want precision.

It was the only depiction of the character to start on a galactic scale power absorbtion binge as Trigon rarely does and only in a few series like Terror of Trigon and more then a few do like to talk about versions of characters with their abilities maxed out.

Last edited by jmc247; 03-10-2024 at 11:34 PM.