Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Didn’t he bring back Giant Man and the Wasp before too long?
    Correct. Within a year, both Jan & Hank returned in Avengers #26 ("The Voice of the Wasp!"):

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-20-2024 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Definitely looking forward to the new team for Bloodhunt, even if it is only for an issue or two. I dig Steve (Sam will always be the Falcon to me, and that's not a bad thing), love Hercules (at least a pre-GOTG version), and like Quicksilver, Hazmat, and Kate Bishop. They wouldn't all have been my choices but they work.

As I've said before, if Marvel's obsessed with making the Avengers a team of big players with (mostly) their own books and have cinematic synergy, then they should do a second regular book with characters not being propped up by movie versions who are allowed to change and evolve within the pages of the team book. The powers-that-be really need to get over the idea that lining up their books with the movies will bring in new readers.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Do tell please
    The characters changed. That’s not the worst thing in the world. It makes sense for him, but it removes some of the fun of the character. He’s sober, reasoned and more morally sound, but that’s not what’s always the most entertaining. The fun of having Hercules in a book growing up was that he’d add a bit of chaos. He’s one of those characters that has a strong personality like Wolverine, Namor, Hawkeye, Guy Gardner and Deadpool. He’s a good character to bounce off of and stirs the pot with his brawling and drunkenness.

He seems to be in his old costume so maybe he’ll return to form. I love Quicksilver and Captain America. I like Kate Bishop. I don’t know much about Hazmat, but people are excited to see her(?) so that’s a good sign. I’m looking forward to this.
    Last edited by Lee-Sensei; 02-21-2024 at 03:45 PM.

Go read Kelly Thompson's Captain Marvel if you haven't already. Hazmat was a regular there, usually appearing whenever Spider-Woman and War Machine did, they were basically Carol's personal team. And she got some really good moments in the X-Men team-up that was the final arc.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yes, he did, and that was when the Avengers started to really get intresting for me. While not the original overpowered original team, they at least had some muscle and some scientific expertise back on the team now, with Goliath, and even a flyer in the Wasp, and, personality-wise, the new members were more volatile and intresting. But the book really took off, IMHO, when Roy Thomas took over the writing chores (deep down, I was never really a Stan Lee fan).

Peace

All-New Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll check it out. I also saw she was in Avengers Academy. I must have forgotten since I read some of those issues.

Extraordinary Member

Specifically, Giant-Man and Wasp returned to the Avengers after their comic feature was canceled.

Stan Lee turned against the idea of having characters in multiple books which may have been a sales issue or it may have just been he didn't want to keep track of who was doing what in which book. One of the reasons Hercules became an Avenger is that Roy Thomas wanted to bring back Thor and Lee told him to use Hercules instead, and at some point he told Thomas to drop Cap from the lineup.

As Thomas's run went on, and he started to get more control over his books, he started bringing back Captain America, Iron Man and Thor (especially Cap) more often, but usually as "guest stars." By the time Lee is kicked upstairs to publisher and Thomas takes over as editor-in-chief, the Big Three are full-time members again and from then on the team was rarely without at least one star with their own book (though usually as not as many as today).
    Last edited by gurkle; 02-21-2024 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Specifically, Giant-Man and Wasp returned to the Avengers after their comic feature was canceled.

Stan Lee turned against the idea of having characters in multiple books which may have been a sales issue or it may have just been he didn't want to keep track of who was doing what in which book. One of the reasons Hercules became an Avenger is that Roy Thomas wanted to bring back Thor and Lee told him to use Hercules instead, and at some point he told Thomas to drop Cap from the lineup.

As Thomas's run went on, and he started to get more control over his books, he started bringing back Captain America, Iron Man and Thor (especially Cap) more often, but usually as "guest stars." By the time Lee is kicked upstairs to publisher and Thomas takes over as editor-in-chief, the Big Three are full-time members again and from then on the team was rarely without at least one star with their own book (though usually as not as many as today).
    This is very insightful. I always enjoy hearing the history of comics. Hercules did fill that "Thor" role for awhile. I wonder what behind the scenes choice was made to turn Clint into Goliath?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll check it out. I also saw she was in Avengers Academy. I must have forgotten since I read some of those issues.
    Yeah, that's where Hazmat debuted, she was one of Academy's main six characters (the others are Mettle, who's now dead, Veil, who's now depowered, Reptil, Striker, and Finesse).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-22-2024 at 04:05 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    As always the action is great in this title. The art is funny. Carol looks really weird in some scenes, especially her face. But other characters like Wanda look great. I know it's mainly because Wanda is a queen but still it was something I found amusing while checking the issue out. The Twilight Court have cool designs. Especially the hammer girl who fought Thor.
    I'm loving the interactions between Thor and Wanda. It would be so cool to see them SLOWLY develop and maintain a relationship if writers can be clever enough with it and not give the same old recycled stuff so often churned out.

Astonishing Member

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-mad-t...-save-the-day/

Next week Avengers issue preview.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Carol these guys travel dimensions with the desire to sadistically wipe out entire population numbers, they are literally called Cityslayers and take great pride in the name.

Not rehabilitation is an option for monsters unless Lord Ennui if you can figure out a cure for his condition.

Is anyone reading Avengers: Twilight?
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    So now Carol doesn't want to be a jack boot facist?
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    Is anyone reading Avengers: Twilight?
    Read Issue #3 today. I liked it. Nice action, nice surprises, and of course there are these conflicts of ideas that are very relevant for today. Part of me wondered which group would side with Cap and who would side with Tony's son. Think I'll read it again.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."