Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

The latest issue states that when Yana put on the nega bands, it awakened carols connection to them. But I don't recall Carol ever wearing the bands before. Or am I mistaken?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Marvel solicitations for July are out...can't help but wonder about the future of this series...

CAPTAIN MARVEL #10
    Alyssa Wong (W) • Jan Bazaldua (A) Cover by Stephen Segovia
    VARIANT COVER BY CORIN HOWELL
    DEADPOOL KILLS THE MARVEL UNIVERSE VARIANT COVER BY STEFANO CASELLI
    ALONE AT LAST!
    One more fight to win it all. To save everyone. Carol Danvers is the only one who can do it – if anyone can at all. The Captain lies bleeding on the crystal plains of the Negative Zone. Can she get up, just STAND UP, one more time?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    CAPMARV2023010_Cov-scaled.jpg

Bazaldua is also listed in the same solicitations as the new artist for the Immortal Thor (hopefully not, that's a massive tonal shift in art if so.)
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 04-18-2024 at 03:55 PM.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Expected if this was the end, making Carol be the co pilot of a Original Character was a bad move. Also doesn't help Comics Marvel overestimated that negabands being a factor in The Marvels, we are back to small volumes of Cap Marvel again.

Next writer up?

I notice she's ditched the braid on that cover.

Definitely sounds like a finale anyway, which means the whole run will have only been a single arc. I wonder if Yuna will end up following Alyssa Wong to whatever she writes next? I would expect an immediate relaunch for Carol. I can see her and Tony both getting ex-X writers next since pretty much everyone in the X office has been swapped out with the relaunch.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Marvel solicitations for July are out...can't help but wonder about the future of this series...
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I notice she's ditched the braid on that cover.

Definitely sounds like a finale anyway, which means the whole run will have only been a single arc. I wonder if Yuna will end up following Alyssa Wong to whatever she writes next? I would expect an immediate relaunch for Carol. I can see her and Tony both getting ex-X writers next since pretty much everyone in the X office has been swapped out with the relaunch.
    From the chatter on the New Releases thread, sounds like a few runs are ending in JULY - IRON MAN, SHE-HULK, BLADE are confirmed ending...even CAPT AMERICA has a sound of finality for the series. Wonder if its a line-wide shift post-BLOODLINE Event...
    Last edited by Thirteen; 04-19-2024 at 07:34 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Expected if this was the end, making Carol be the co pilot of a Original Character was a bad move. Also doesn't help Comics Marvel overestimated that negabands being a factor in The Marvels, we are back to small volumes of Cap Marvel again.

Next writer up?
    At this rate they are going to run out of women to write it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Can we just get a good writer and not worry about if they are a woman or not? I can dream about how great Al Ewing might be for the book after his run on X-Men Red with Storm.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Astonishing Member

Can we just get a good writer and not worry about if they are a woman or not? I can dream about how great Al Ewing might be for the book after his run on X-Men Red with Storm.
    Amen! A writer's sex should not be a criteria for whether or not they can write a book. We're going backward instead of forward!

Bazaldua is also listed in the same solicitations as the new artist for the Immortal Thor (hopefully not, that's a massive tonal shift in art if so.)
    I hesitate to assume it's ending but I guess it wasn't likely they could have a run last as long as Thompsons' did.

The composition and the free flowing hair remind me of instances where Carol was shown wearing her civvies jeans and bomber jacket over her former costume.

Has Rainbow Rowell written Carol yet? I'm liking the voices of characters over in SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I feel like Rowell wouldn't be a good fit because she tends to write more down-to-Earth, subdued, relationship-driven books.

Apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Amen! A writer's sex should not be a criteria for whether or not they can write a book. We're going backward instead of forward!
    Marvel tends to want only women to write this, so I'm guessing it's Gail Simone's turn.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Rowell wouldn't be a good fit because she tends to write more down-to-Earth, subdued, relationship-driven books.
    Yeah, both Runaways and She-Hulk have been as much slice of life as action. Carol doesn't have a consistent supporting cast. Anyway, it looks like Rowell might be doing DC stuff next, she's got that Lois Lane backup in Action Comics and that's her debut there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Apparently not.

Marvel tends to want only women to write this, so I'm guessing it's Gail Simone's turn.
    I would LOVE for Gail to do a run on Capt Marvel. She can craft a story, knows how to write interpersonal relationships, create drama, tension, action. If we must have a female writer, let's go for the gold. Let it be said also, I have absolutely nothing against female writers. It just seems that Marvel is insistent only giving the book to female writers, whether or not they are a good fit for the book. There may be someone who surprises us...this being the one run that really cements them as an all-star writer, but we just haven't seen that yet.
    Truth be told also, some of my disappointment with this run has been the art. While Bazaldua is not a bad artist by any means, their current style is just not my taste and as such, failed to capture any drama that might have been present in the story. I think that and consistency has been the biggest flaws over the last several years of CM books...KT has some good artists but never any consistent artists on her run. Davilla did the most (I think...nonpe, went and checked, Lee Garbett did the most and was the most consistent with only a couple of fill ins, Carmen Carnero only missed three issues of her run but she left after 11 when Garbett stepped in) but Davilla never did more than a few issues at a time. As nice as it would be to get an artist who would draw a consistent run, we can't get artists to do even a consistent arc any more. Being an artist, I do completely understand what it takes to draw a page and the time it takes, but when I look at artists like George Perez, John Byrne, Walt Simonson...who drew years worth of books...sometimes even writing while they drew them and maintaining a reasonable schedule...that argument falls flat. That just doesn't happen any more though. I know CM isn't a huge draw and/or seller, but it could be better than it is with the proper creative team. (What I wouldn't give to actually see Gail Simone and someone like Nicola Scott doing a run.) The priority though should be to see comics and to find the absolute best fit for that title based on ability and pitch (just because they have a good pitch doesn't mean they can pull it off sometimes sadly.)

I would LOVE for Gail to do a run on Capt Marvel. She can craft a story, knows how to write interpersonal relationships, create drama, tension, action. If we must have a female writer, let's go for the gold. Let it be said also, I have absolutely nothing against female writers. It just seems that Marvel is insistent only giving the book to female writers, whether or not they are a good fit for the book. There may be someone who surprises us...this being the one run that really cements them as an all-star writer, but we just haven't seen that yet.
    Well, if Simone is next up she should consider bringing the black costume back. Captain Marvel needs all the help she can get