Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Being a fan of a character doesn't mean enjoying each incarnation of the said character. I agree. But I have to disagree that he was a dictator. While Storm and Wolverine and Charles betrayed their own species to side with the defenders of the Status Que, Avengers, Cyclops and his pals saved their race from extinction. Did he do questionable things in the process? Absolutely. But he was at his heart, still a hero, wanting to do good
    Agreed that we'll have to agree to disagree lol. I just don't characterize Storm, Wolverine, Xavier, Beast, etc. as race traitors. In fact, as I said in a prior post, I was pissed that Storm didn't join the other side from the get-go. I think it's very easy to slip into the notion that the Avengers represent the establishment and the X-Men are always the underdogs and misunderstood rebels. It's never as black and white as that. I honestly haven't read a lot of the Avengers but from what I've seen, they've always been against blind obedience to the government and bureaucracy. There have been times when they've been hunted down and considered traitors to the government. Similarly, the X-Men have had periods when they were working closely with the government or beloved in the public limelight like the O5 as X-Factor (a very underrated period. It was nice to see the O5 get love and respect from the public the way the FF and Avengers do...instead of constantly seeing mutants segregate themselves, I'd like to see a golden age period where humans and mutants have assimilated together and the X-Men are treated as beloved heroes). Outside of Tony's pro-registration side, I don't think the Avengers could ever be characterized as a superhero police force. Seeing people say that Steve is a racist cop when he's not even a cop is rather silly. He wears the flag not because he's a white supremacist or nationalist but because he believes in serving the people of the world, not the American government, as Civil War proved. People seem to be getting him mixed up with his Ultimate universe counterpart or John Walker. The stuff on Utopia and Krakoa seemed way more jingoistic to me.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    On the topic of Scott's "friends", **** them, they aren't his friends. I hope the new era actually separates Scott from those traitorous Avengers bootlickers.

That makes the X-Men look bad rather than Cyclops. With all that over-the-top mustache twirling I think its they that got character assassinated. That was not one of my favorite periods of X-Men. Not really because of Scott but I found it just that bad. This won't be popular, but I too prefer the "Boyscout" version. Its who I grew up on. Thats the one I admired. And there are fans of that version, but many left the board because they didn't like where Cyclops was heading. So, they exist. It was similar to the Beast fans. If the Utopia and forward version of Cyclops returns, I won't riot, I will even read it if its good. But I don't want it to be as big as it was because as was already stated many characters were sidelined, or the ones that weren't were made to look incompetent. I'm not a "Rightclops" follower but I'm not anti "Rightclops" either. I'm more neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    That makes the X-Men look bad rather than Cyclops. With all that over-the-top mustache twirling I think its they that got character assassinated. That was not one of my favorite periods of X-Men. Not really because of Scott but I found it just that bad. This won't be popular, but I too prefer the "Boyscout" version. Its who I grew up on. Thats the one I admired. And there are fans of that version, but many left the board because they didn't like where Cyclops was heading. So, they exist. It was similar to the Beast fans. If the Utopia and forward version of Cyclops returns, I won't riot, I will even read it if its good. But I don't want it to be as big as it was because as was already stated many characters were sidelined, or the ones that weren't were made to look incompetent. I'm not a "Rightclops" follower but I'm not anti "Rightclops" either. I'm more neutral.
    I remember I used to have a lot of friends on here who left for that reason. I've never been a part of the Beast fandom but I feel bad that he's going through the same thing now. Marvel seems to make a game of finding which character to ruin next. I dread who they'll pick after Beast.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Agreed that we'll have to agree to disagree lol. I just don't characterize Storm, Wolverine, Xavier, Beast, etc. as race traitors. In fact, as I said in a prior post, I was pissed that Storm didn't join the other side from the get-go. I think it's very easy to slip into the notion that the Avengers represent the establishment and the X-Men are always the underdogs and misunderstood rebels. It's never as black and white as that. I honestly haven't read a lot of the Avengers but from what I've seen, they've always been against blind obedience to the government and bureaucracy. There have been times when they've been hunted down and considered traitors to the government. Similarly, the X-Men have had periods when they were working closely with the government or beloved in the public limelight like the O5 as X-Factor (a very underrated period. It was nice to see the O5 get love and respect from the public the way the FF and Avengers do...instead of constantly seeing mutants segregate themselves, I'd like to see a golden age period where humans and mutants have assimilated together and the X-Men are treated as beloved heroes). Outside of Tony's pro-registration side, I don't think the Avengers could ever be characterized as a superhero police force. Seeing people say that Steve is a racist cop when he's not even a cop is rather silly. He wears the flag not because he's a white supremacist or nationalist but because he believes in serving the people of the world, not the American government, as Civil War proved. People seem to be getting him mixed up with his Ultimate universe counterpart or John Walker. The stuff on Utopia and Krakoa seemed way more jingoistic to me.
    Marvel's never going to allow the mutants to be accepted because then mission of The X-Men will be complete and that means no more stories. Simonson's X-Factor run is one of my favorite series ever, that and her X-Factor forever.
    Now about AvX. Cyclops was using the Phoenix force to solve the world's problems, he was doing so much more than just fighting alien invasions and somehow Bobby is like Scott you're evil because you're stopping world hunger. For me the Avengers and the X-Men who sided with them were just fools bound to be the defenders of a status quo that cannot be changed in a comic book set in the main continuity. Wolverine was like oh our race is becoming extinct? Cool I'm just gonna open an school. He was a total idiot. Ultimately power corrupted Scott and he became Dark Phoenix, but he didn't deserve the hate was getting by his former teammates and friends. He murdered Charles, a shady man who had abused Scott since he took him in, and everyone were grieving over his death like he was a saint or something. The intention was to make Scott look bad but in the end he was the only one that was actually sane. Storm and Logan are cool characters but they're not Scott and Mags, mutantkind is everything they ever had.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I don't think the general audience sees Jean as Logan's love interest. We've had so many media featuring Jean and Scott as a couple and even in the later movies there was no love triangle at all. The Wolverine video game ends with Jean not loving Logan, dude has killed her parents and it all happens before she's even joined the X-Men or met Scott. You're being too hard on Cyke that's for sure
    Wait are you referencing the spoilers:
    leaks for the upcoming Insomniac Wolverine game?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Wait are you referencing the spoilers:
    leaks for the upcoming Insomniac Wolverine game?
    end of spoilers
    Yes
    10char

Astonishing Member

I remember I used to have a lot of friends on here who left for that reason. I've never been a part of the Beast fandom but I feel bad that he's going through the same thing now. Marvel seems to make a game of finding which character to ruin next. I dread who they'll pick after Beast.
    It looks like Xavier is the next target

On the topic of Scott's "friends", **** them, they aren't his friends. I hope the new era actually separates Scott from those traitorous Avengers bootlickers.

God that Logan panel.

I don't hate Wolverine but his popularity has gone out of fucking control at this point. They are framing the man who maims people with his claws on a normal basis and who regularly has trouble controlling his savage instincts as the most morally pure position of the characters.

Even when Scott confronts him over the fact he's killed people too cause he keeps bringing up Xavier's death, Wolverine responds without any irony "None of the people I killed mattered". The sheer hypocrisy, disgusting.

This is what harms a character. Shoving them into a position they are not suited for because of their popularity.

Marvel's never going to allow the mutants to be accepted because then mission of The X-Men will be complete and that means no more stories. Simonson's X-Factor run is one of my favorite series ever, that and her X-Factor forever.
    Now about AvX. Cyclops was using the Phoenix force to solve the world's problems, he was doing so much more than just fighting alien invasions and somehow Bobby is like Scott you're evil because you're stopping world hunger. For me the Avengers and the X-Men who sided with them were just fools bound to be the defenders of a status quo that cannot be changed in a comic book set in the main continuity. Wolverine was like oh our race is becoming extinct? Cool I'm just gonna open an school. He was a total idiot. Ultimately power corrupted Scott and he became Dark Phoenix, but he didn't deserve the hate was getting by his former teammates and friends. He murdered Charles, a shady man who had abused Scott since he took him in, and everyone were grieving over his death like he was a saint or something. The intention was to make Scott look bad but in the end he was the only one that was actually sane. Storm and Logan are cool characters but they're not Scott and Mags, mutantkind is everything they ever had.
    I mean, didn't Krakoa more or less accomplish that as well? The difference being mutants decided they no longer cared about being accepted so they completed their mission by creating their own world safe from "flatscans" like the Richards?
    X-Men Factor Forever was a favorite of mine and one of the best portrayals of Jott. It came out right in the middle of the dark age and was a much needed break for starved Jean fans or Jott fans in general. This is exactly what hack writers like Morrison, Fraction, and Hickman never understood about the X-Men.

The problem I have with using the Phoenix to solve the world's problems is exactly what you said that in a comic book world with shared continuity, stuff like this cannot last and will never work. It's the same reason why Reed Richards has never used his intellect to solve all the world's problems in one week even though he probably could. I think it's better to not even attempt something like this because it just pokes holes into everything. This will sound controversial, but I never understood why everyone was so fixated on mutantkind's extinction from M-Day. Maybe because it had gotten old fast since that's all the X-Books focused on during this period but I never got why it was considered so horrific that there would be no more mutants. And after years of hearing this being cried about, I was about to jump on the bandwagon that mutants really should die out to spare us from more of this horror. I was Team Wolverine because it was back to basics, reopening the school, where the X-Men should have been all along. It featured all the classic characters and none of these villains masquerading as heroes. I remember the reactions on here and it was a breath of fresh air for those of us who were sick of Utopia. What I'm hoping will happen again now that this current mutant supremacist regime is collapsing once and for all. Xavier's character assassination is another thing I couldn't stand. It felt like a sick joke to see how much worse they could make his character with retcon after retcon. Another reason I despised this era was because it seemed like the era of retcons, not just for Xavier, but in general. Most of which have been completely ignored since then.

In a way, I think Storm and Logan's capabilities as leaders (moreso Storm than Logan because classically in Claremont's run, he refused to lead and delegated that duty to just about anyone else) is precisely because their lives are about more than mutantkind. They are enriched for having more in their world and they bring those experiences and connections to their roles as leaders. Storm is one of the most empathetic and loyal of the X-Men for precisely that reason. And I'll say that before the 2000s, Cyclops was like that too. It's true that he had less than Storm and Logan, but we saw periods in his life where he was ready to leave it all. Like the scan I posted before where he told Xavier to buzz off, the X-Men can handle themselves, he's sticking with Jean in the hospital. Then again during the 90s when Scott was injured after OZT and he and Jean retired. He seemed happy there too. Even in X-Men Forever, he seemed quite content leaving the X-Men for Alaska with his grandparents, father, and son. He learned to appreciate a quiet family life, even if it wasn't possible to have it 24/7 but now some fans think that's OOC because they're used to the dark age where he had nothing else in his life and characterize that as the real Cyclops. Having nothing else in the world should not be a badge of honor. It's supposed to be a tragedy as this panel indicates.
    Last edited by whitecrown; 04-21-2024 at 01:29 AM.

Yes
    10char
    Ah. I was hyped for that game but reading that particular spoiler, I felt like physically vomiting and my brain stabbed by knives.

I cannot describe how much I physically loathe that pairing, it so absolutely harmful for both characters. If I could I would machine gun it to death by canonizing that spoilers:
    Jean finds Logan physically ugly and the idea of sleeping with him immediately drives her to vomit.
    end of spoilers

Like kill the relationship dead, stomp the corpse into bloody paste, and then set in on fire for good measure. Its for the good of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    It looks like Xavier is the next target
    Oh my goodness, what's being done with him now? I heard something vaguely about him killing someone or trying to kill someone but I tuned it out. I was afraid it was going to be something outlandish like Banshee's face being skinned. And I just read that Warren is apparently dead and was told he's irredeemable and Alex has zombie arms or something crazy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    God that Logan panel.

I don't hate Wolverine but his popularity has gone out of fucking control at this point. They are framing the man who maims people with his claws on a normal basis and who regularly has trouble controlling his savage instincts as the most morally pure position of the characters.

Even when Scott confronts him over the fact he's killed people too cause he keeps bringing up Xavier's death, Wolverine responds without any irony "None of the people I killed mattered". The sheer hypocrisy, disgusting.

This is what harms a character. Shoving them into a position they are not suited for because of their popularity.
    Wolverine has become a joke of a character to me over the years. Batman is more popular than Logan by an almost incalculable margin, yet he's not even half the hypocrite Logan is sometimes, even when Frank Miller was writing him lol.

Wolverine has become a joke of a character to me over the years. Batman is more popular than Logan by an almost incalculable margin, yet he's not even half the hypocrite Logan is sometimes, even when Frank Miller was writing him lol.
    Now that I think about it, I think the "None of the people I killed mattered" was written by Jason Aaron during his Wolverine and the X-Men run.

Man had an infamous hateboner towards Scott and during WaTX wrote Wolverine as constantly badmouthing Scott and the mutants allied with him. So yeah very mature there. Aaron has denied having a hatred for Cyclops, but his writing speaks otherwise.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 04-21-2024 at 01:39 AM.

I feel like this panel could be considered foreplay in some ScottxLogan fanfics.

Astonishing Member

Oh my goodness, what's being done with him now? I heard something vaguely about him killing someone or trying to kill someone but I tuned it out. I was afraid it was going to be something outlandish like Banshee's face being skinned. And I just read that Warren is apparently dead and was told he's irredeemable and Alex has zombie arms or something crazy like that.
    The story is still being told so maybe he is counting on a re-set to undo some of his choices, but so far he is trying to hammer out a deal with Nimrod to stop hunting mutants ,while he won't interfere with Nimrod's imperative against humanity.As a show of good faith Xavier destroyed a human space defense vessel that was going to attack Nimrod's sentinel city. Just bizzare stuff considering all Xavier knows.
    Last edited by Rev9; 04-21-2024 at 01:43 AM.