Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Guys the xmen cartoon said we're in Rightclops hours now.
    That will be interesting to see.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Guys the xmen cartoon said we're in Rightclops hours now.
    I'll wait and see first. '97 has done Cyke justice so far, and I'm honestly surprised at the support and fair treatment Cyke's gotten from viewers.

I mean, I've skimmed through posts on twitter pointing out that Jean berating Cyke for kissing Maddie was hypocritical because she quite literally did the same with Logan--- and I'm like, "well, when this happened in the comics, Cyke got a lot of flack, so how did things change?". Almost feels like I'm in opposite world.

But I digress.

To me, part of what made RightClops work was the threat of extinction justifying his decisions and martyrdom. It wasn't another mutant massacre--- it was a mutant massacre while their numbers were dwindling rapidly.

The comics literally had a run-- Endangered Species, I think?-- where Beast goes around finding all sorts of solutions for M-Day, only to come out worse for wear. M-Day spilled over to other titles as well-- I vaguely recall a Captain Britain comic (or was it in Uncanny?) where the Captain Britain Corps observed multiple realities imploding from M-Day, further driving up the stakes.

'97 doesn't have that level of urgency (yet).

So, for me, it really depends how the showrunners are gonna lay the groundwork for RightClops.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

If '97 does HoM, I don't think it'd be til the end of this season at the very end and it ends up being the overarching plot to season 2.

Fantastic Member

It's almost a shame the finale of Episode 5 is monopolizing everyone's attention. And for those who aren't captivated by all the questions and emotions there, they're focused on kisses and romantic angst.

Amidst all this, Scott's best moment yet has been overshadowed.

I wonder if this is gonna go anywhere, especially combined with the rest of the episode? It's probably just a moment of vulnerability, of being a person. Either way, it was quite great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    It's almost a shame the finale of Episode 5 is monopolizing everyone's attention. And for those who aren't captivated by all the questions and emotions there, they're focused on kisses and romantic angst.

I wonder if this is gonna go anywhere, especially combined with the rest of the episode? It's probably just a moment of vulnerability, of being a person. Either way, it was quite great.
    I thought that was a pretty great moment, too. I'm a longtime Scott fan and I never really liked his portrayal in the original cartoon, but I think he's great in this. I kinda drifted from X-Men in recent years because it felt so hard to keep up with, but this show has kind of reignited my interest. I can only hope Cyclops gets this kind of love in the MCU.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post

We'll see if more comes from it, but I just took it as the dam holding back all the frustration from the start of the season bursting and everything just came pouring out. 'course, the bigger blow-up obviously happened after this, lol.

Mighty Member

On other Cyke-related stuff, what's up with writers pushing Quentin Quire?

I mean, I get he does have a fanbase-- all characters do. But is his fanbase really big enough such that writers keep using him?

Otherwise, I'm cautiously optimistic about Cyke's new team, though markedly less than '97.

Comics is comics; '97 is '97.

Until the vitriol thrown at Cyke throughout the 2010s is addressed in-universe, the books are forever tainted for me.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post

I mean, I get he does have a fanbase-- all characters do. But is his fanbase really big enough such that writers keep using him?

Otherwise, I'm cautiously optimistic about Cyke's new team, though markedly less than '97.

Until the vitriol thrown at Cyke throughout the 2010s is addressed in-universe, the books are forever tainted for me.
    They probably want the team to have a telepath, but it could be Kwannon if they really needed one. Perhaps they want a "pure" telepath in the mix, and Psylocke is more viewed as a ninja.
    Quire also fit the Wolverine role, you know, the brash character that challenges Scott's orders, in the Extinction team it was Namor in the same role.

I don't think Quire is a super popular character, but he is one of those characters that for some reason writers love to write about, like Emma and Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    They probably want the team to have a telepath, but it could be Kwannon if they really needed one. Perhaps they want a "pure" telepath in the mix, and Psylocke is more viewed as a ninja.
    Quire also fit the Wolverine role, you know, the brash character that challenges Scott's orders, in the Extinction team it was Namor in the same role.

I don't think Quire is a super popular character, but he is one of those characters that for some reason writers love to write about, like Emma and Kitty.
    That's my opinion on Quire as well. Small fanbase, but unfortunately for us it's made up of either Marvel's writers or the editor in charge of them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

He's a good anti-establishment rebel archetype and representative for later generations of Xcharacters.
    I'd enjoy if QQ and Scott bonded over being not the biggest fans of Logan. :-)
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post

I don't mind dissenter archetypes, but for them to work, they kinda need to be a believable foil to the leader archetype-- which, to me, is why Logan and Namor were so effective (and even charismatic) in their roles challenging Cyke. Quire kinda hasn't left the "teen" / "young character" mold he was introduced in.

I just kinda wish writers would try other characters. If they wanted a young character to act as the loose cannon, Hellion comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That's my opinion on Quire as well. Small fanbase, but unfortunately for us it's made up of either Marvel's writers or the editor in charge of them.
    My greatest sadness in all of this.
    Let your wallet talk.

Or maybe, this team could be unique by NOT having a telepath.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quentin isnt used bc there is a fanbase they are catering too. He's used bc writers actually like him. He has useful powerset but more imporatntly he has a personality that stands out and works well as a spoiler for other characters. Plus he is often used as comedic relief

Spectacular Member

Regardless of Quentin, the team is pretty solid and Cyclops is probably going to be way better written than during the Krakoa era, also, the way they described him on the article shows that they get his character and MacKay is a good writer.

"The first X-Man, mutantkind’s ultimate leader, and arguably the most brilliant strategic mind in the entire Marvel Universe, Scott Summers steps up to guide his species towards a better future in Jed MacKay and Ryan Stegman’s X-MEN. Announced last month, X-MEN will be the first of three flagship X-titles set in the upcoming From the Ashes era."

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

The writer is Jed McKay, out of all the writers currently announced he's definitely the best one there.

Guy managed to write all the Avengers perfectly in character after the fragging mess that is Jason Aaron's Avengers saga. And we're talking characters like Thor and Black Panther, guys who just been absolutely ****-wrecked for the last couple years and McKay brought back the badassery and grandeur to them in his run.

Cyke is in good hands. I know people have issue with the general status quo of the new line and Stegman's art, but McKay's writing ability shouldn't be questioned, he hasn't let us down yet.