Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    X-Men '97 was cool.

But they still haven't completely abandoned the love triangle. Ugh. It's very minor, but Jean was pregnent for god's sake. It's even more creepy now.
    I just don't like Jott. Who really likes Jott? The impression I get from most Jean Grey fans is they don't even like the character of Cyclops. I know I'm just a casual comic book fan but the impression I get is from a legacy and pop culture perspective, Marvel views Jean and Scott as the one true pairing for each other, a legacy relationship like Mary Jane and Peter Parker (or Reed and Sue), but it seems to always be (except for X Men Evolution, which includes a better potential lover for Cyclops in Rogue) bogged down by drama, death and love triangle non-sense. Who is this relationship for? Because I just don't see many people who like it.

The era I spent most being interested in following the comics was the Astonishing and Revolutionary era and I just feel Cyclops and Emma was so much better. She got into his mind, made him face harsh truths. She loved him.

(the change into diamond as his words pierce through her heart)

Bring it back!
    Last edited by Super-Cyke; 03-20-2024 at 06:22 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    I just don't like Jott. Who really likes Jott? The impression I get from most Jean Grey fans is they don't even like the character of Cyclops. I know I'm just a casual comic book fan but the impression I get is from a legacy and pop culture perspective, Marvel views Jean and Scott as the one true pairing for each other, a legacy relationship like Mary Jane and Peter Parker (or Reed and Sue), but it seems to always be (except for X Men Evolution, which includes a better potential lover for Cyclops in Rogue) bogged down by drama, death and love triangle non-sense. Who is this relationship for? Because I just don't see many people who like it.

The era I spent most being interested in following the comics was the Astonishing and Revolutionary era and I just feel Cyclops and Emma was so much better. She got into his mind, made him face harsh truths. She loved him.

(the change into diamond as his words pierce through her heart)

Bring it back!
    In response to your question, I am a Jott fan/loyalist, we do exist. And also a Cyclops fan. Scott and Jean's relationship has been bogged down by the stupid love triangle with Logan, which was introduced and has persisted because readers care about Scott and Jean together. It has led writers to repeatedly design scenarios for strife (most notably Inferno and Grant Morrison's run) between Scott and Jean, which provides an opportunity for Jean's attraction to Logan to be expressed (and in Morrison's run Scott's relationship with Emma). When stories remove that element or separate Scott and Jean from Logan...they are happy, functional and loving partners--Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga, the X-Factor run, The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, and the vast majority of Duggan's X-Men run (yes there was the angst over the Brood in issues 21-23 but that was addressed/resolved maturely and lovingly in 24)

Your preference for Scott and Emma is understandable given the era of comics that served as your entry point. Three quick points about that era...First, it was the 2000s, during which comics and society as a whole have been more open and direct about sex, so Scott and Emma had the benefit of being depicted as having a much more mature/sexual/intimate relationship than Scott and Jean (this was intention beginning with Morrison, who had Scott describe himself and Jean as high school sweethearts, ignoring much of their relationship and the fact that they raised a child together for 12 years in the future). However, beginning with the Phoenix saga and continuing until the Morrison run there are references/dialogue/scenes establishing Scott and Jean had a happy physical relationship. Second, the era you read was committed to establishing Scott and Emma as the primary couple...with Scott stating he chose Emma (over Jean) on multiple occasions, and Emma frequently disparaging Scott's relationship with Jean with little or no response from him. Finally, the period you read was one of change for Cyclops, as he moved from field commander of the X-Men to Mutant Leader, filling the void left by Xavier and Magneto. Emma was an essential partner in that growth...influencing how he evolved. I believe he still would have evolved into the leader (maybe differently) if Jean was alive and with him at the time.

Anyway...that is long a reponse to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    I know I'm just a casual comic book fan but the impression I get is from a legacy and pop culture perspective, Marvel views Jean and Scott as the one true pairing for each other, a legacy relationship like Mary Jane and Peter Parker (or Reed and Sue), but it seems to always be (except for X Men Evolution, which includes a better potential lover for Cyclops in Rogue) bogged down by drama, death and love triangle non-sense.

Bring it back!
    Considering what happened with Peter Parker and Mary Jane, everything going on with Jott makes more sense.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Considering what happened with Peter Parker and Mary Jane, everything going on with Jott makes more sense.
    The perpetual triangle is harmful to everyone in it. Love triangles serve to either move the narrative along, or to make everything involved in it suck. There is no middle ground, with only the Clark/Lois/Superman triangle serving as the exception that proves the rule - and that works because it's the same guy as two legs of it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The perpetual triangle is harmful to everyone in it. Love triangles serve to either move the narrative along, or to make everything involved in it suck. There is no middle ground, with only the Clark/Lois/Superman triangle serving as the exception that proves the rule - and that works because it's the same guy as two legs of it.
    superman had it easy
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spectacular Member

Scott and Jean will never work together again unless they have her get over Logan, at this point is ridiculously disrespectful to Scott that even after everything they went through together she still has a thing for Logan, the open relationship was some of the most dogshit writing I've ever seen with the sole purpose of pleasing Wolverine's fanboys by having him hook up with Jean, like the whole thing reeks of Wolverine fanboys using him as a self-insert and fantasizing with cucking the good looking competent leader, Jean developing a sudden attraction to him out of nowhere despite him being ugly and rude was **** writing, and so is Scott putting up with her bs.

Jean needs to apologize to Scott and tell Logan that she only sees him as a friend otherwise their relationship is garbage.
    Last edited by NearlyEnough; 03-20-2024 at 04:41 PM.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    superman had it easy
    Well, at least til the New 52 wrecked everything. You'd think that Marvel would look at how terrible that was and not emulate it again, but well... /shrugs

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Scott breaking his fall with an optic blast which didnt create a hole in the ground didnt make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Scott breaking his fall with an optic blast which didnt create a hole in the ground didnt make sense
    That's kind of the stuff he could do in the Lee/Kirby days. He could catch stuff in air and push it without causing the object harm, cushion a fall, and other odd uses. A beam that can hit like a punch one instant and break through an armored robot the next obviously doesn't follow the laws of physics as we know them. It's a large part of the reason why the "punch dimension" explanation for his powers was ever thought up in the first place
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That's kind of the stuff he could do in the Lee/Kirby days. He could catch stuff in air and push it without causing the object harm, cushion a fall, and other odd uses. A beam that can hit like a punch one instant and break through an armored robot the next obviously doesn't follow the laws of physics as we know them. It's a large part of the reason why the "punch dimension" explanation for his powers was ever thought up in the first place
    Alot of stuff was done int he Lee/Kirby days before powers were defined (like Magneto's magnetism being used as a form of telepathy). That just doesnt track with today. Him using his blasts to break his fall I can get but there literally being on damage on the ground doesnt work. There should have been far greater displacement of sand which should have created a hole that he landed in

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Alot of stuff was done int he Lee/Kirby days before powers were defined (like Magneto's magnetism being used as a form of telepathy). That just doesnt track with today. Him using his blasts to break his fall I can get but there literally being on damage on the ground doesnt work. There should have been far greater displacement of sand which should have created a hole that he landed in
    Haven't watch the episode yet but from the clip I saw being shared around twitter it does look like he lands in a newly formed crater.

Really love what I've seen so far. Definitely need to renew my Disney+ subscription so I don't get spoiled anymore.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Yeah, there's a crater where everybody lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    Haven't watch the episode yet but from the clip I saw being shared around twitter it does look like he lands in a newly formed crater.

Really love what I've seen so far. Definitely need to renew my Disney+ subscription so I don't get spoiled anymore.
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the clip

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Wait are the beams less pink?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.