Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    Of course it does, Scott and the Phoenix have literally fucked, and there’s a connection between them as seen during Phoenix Endsong, also, if the Phoenix is Jean as many Jean fans claim then it makes even more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Cyclops is the one non-telepathic/omega level character I can see making even the slightest amount of sense. Not ideal, but when the proper options aren't available...well, I can begin to see it. And it requires that specific context to make sense.
    Ya'll are missing the whole point of that story with the Phoenix Five. The Phoenix belonged to Jean and her bloodline and at that time Hope as the first mutant born during hte deciMation. It did not choose the P5; it was forced onto them after it was fragmented. Its the reason why it corrupted them so easily and they started to go mad; bc they were never meant to contain that much power. The only reason why Scott was the last one standing was bc of his connection to Jean, but he was never meant to yield it either. The story highlighted why all were bad hosts and in the end it needed to go to Hope whom Scott knew from the beginning was that intended target

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Ya'll are missing the whole point of that story with the Phoenix Five. The Phoenix belonged to Jean and her bloodline and at that time Hope as the first mutant born during hte deciMation. It did not choose the P5; it was forced onto them after it was fragmented. Its the reason why it corrupted them so easily and they started to go mad; bc they were never meant to contain that much power. The only reason why Scott was the last one standing was bc of his connection to Jean, but he was never meant to yield it either. The story highlighted why all were bad hosts and in the end it needed to go to Hope whom Scott knew from the beginning was that intended target
    That part I actually agree with - Scott wouldn't be able to hold it for very long before it got to him - although the people who should know that deliberately pushing him over the edge undermines much of the intention of the story.

Marvel basically built a skyscraper with shoddy steel, on unstable soil. And are still unable to see that it is their bad choices that caused it rather than the people pointing that out.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    If you actually read my posts, you'll see I never said that I wasn't a fan. I'm not a fan of him during one period of the X-Men's history and I've made clear I wasn't a fan of that entire period and how all the X-Men were treated in that era. There are people who are upset about how Scott has been treated in the last few years so does that make them less of his fans because they haven't liked every issue of every single year that he's existed? In the Storm thread, we've been dissing her movie counterparts so does that mean we should be thrown out because we haven't liked all her media portrayals or especially her treatment during the dark age?
    You haven't really said you were a fan beyond saying you preferred him as a boy scout and were resentful of how much of the spotlight he got during the later periods because of you being a fan of other characters.

Also, my characterization of Steve Rogers as a racist cop wasn't literal, although he is a former police officer and was leading SHIELD against a persecuted minority's safe haven because he just decided he understood mutantkind better than they did, enough to abduct a teenager from a country they have no authority over. So, yeah, if the jackboot fits.

And you never once bothered to explain why Scott was so dark and horrible for freeing mutants from the authorities while Steve Rogers and Wolverine looked the other way.

Again, Scott rarely used lethal force. Cap and Logan have killed scores more than him. I guess they're dark and edgy maniacs by your logic.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 04-21-2024 at 10:56 AM.

Spectacular Member

If the Avengers and the traitors didn’t antagonize him so much, Scott wouldn’t have lost control of the Phoenix, that’s a fact, I don’t care what Marvel says to excuse their bad writing, Scott was just making the world a better place and the Avengers couldn’t accept the fact that he made them irrelevant.

Scott was the last one standing not because of his connection with Jean but because he’s the mutant with the strongest will, if any X-Men character were to be a green lantern it would be Cyclops.
    Last edited by NearlyEnough; 04-21-2024 at 10:59 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

If the Avengers and the traitors didn’t antagonize him so much, Scott wouldn’t have lost control of the Phoenix, that’s a fact, I don’t care what Marvel says to excuse their bad writing, Scott was just making the world a better place and the Avengers couldn’t accept the fact that he made them irrelevant.

Scott was the last one standing not because of his connection with Jean but because he’s the mutant with the strongest will, if any X-Men character were to be a green lantern it would be Cyclops.
    100% This if we're referring to AvX

As for Scott's Control over the Phoenix. He was able to do it better because of his discipline and his tough past made him more numb to the emotions that the Phoenix Force fed off of.

BANNED

I remember when I read AvX, I had drifted a bit from X-Men over the years and was mostly reading it because I wanted to get back into the Avengers. I remember very quickly losing all respect for Rogers (and I thought what he did to the West Coast Avengers at the end of their series made him unlikable) and immediately siding with Cyclops and the X-Men. I was so disappointed the Avengers in the comics were being written as such d-bags, but it definitely revived my love of the X-Men at the time.

Cyclops was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    God that Logan panel.

I don't hate Wolverine but his popularity has gone out of fucking control at this point. They are framing the man who maims people with his claws on a normal basis and who regularly has trouble controlling his savage instincts as the most morally pure position of the characters.

Even when Scott confronts him over the fact he's killed people too cause he keeps bringing up Xavier's death, Wolverine responds without any irony "None of the people I killed mattered". The sheer hypocrisy, disgusting.

This is what harms a character. Shoving them into a position they are not suited for because of their popularity.
    Schism was dumb on both sides and lasted wayyyyy too long.

Same with AvX. So many characters acting out-of-character in the service of conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I remember when I read AvX, I had drifted a bit from X-Men over the years and was mostly reading it because I wanted to get back into the Avengers. I remember very quickly losing all respect for Rogers (and I thought what he did to the West Coast Avengers at the end of their series made him unlikable) and immediately siding with Cyclops and the X-Men. I was so disappointed the Avengers in the comics were being written as such d-bags, but it definitely revived my love of the X-Men at the time.

Cyclops was right.
    Steve when written correctly would never have acted like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Same with AvX. So many characters acting out-of-character in the service of conflict.
    Agreed. Schism was not only stupid, the aftermath was arguably ever more stupid. Because Marvel didn't bother with any follow through, they had Logan's students shown in battle far, far more than Scott's students. Creating the perception that if Wolverine REALLY wanted to keep the kids safe, he would have stayed where he was.
    Dark does not mean deep.

All-New Member

[QUOTE=
    Scott was the last one standing not because of his connection with Jean but because he’s the mutant with the strongest will, if any X-Men character were to be a green lantern it would be Cyclops.[/QUOTE]

I think these are inherently linked, Scott’s strong will and selflessness is a huge part of Jean’s attraction to him, as it appeals to her aspirations for herself….that is why Logan is ever present as a nuisance to their relationship…Logan’s rage and priority on self preservation represents who she could be without control

BANNED

You might be right and I am always hesitant to blame a character for what's simply bad writing, because all of my favorite characters have had stories like that. But I still have some beef with Steve over how he treated the West Coast Avengers and basically told them after they'd endured tragedy and trauma that they basically were failures and didn't deserve to be Avengers (you know when youre on US Agent's side in an argument, the other guy must be WAY out of line) or about how crappy he was to Thunderstrike when he was still trying to get a handle on his powers and so on. There's just a lot of stories where Steve comes across as a pompous, self-righteous jerk with a massive superiority complex. I always liked Bucky and Sam more.

In fairness, some writers like Brubaker wrote a very likable version of Steve. I remember liking him in the EMH cartoon and in the Ultimate Avengers animated movies (it was based on the Ultimates, but the characters were less mean and edgy.)

So I'm not totally anti-Steve, but if it comes down to Steve vs Scott, I'm Team Cyclops allllll the way.

You might be right and I am always hesitant to blame a character for what's simply bad writing, because all of my favorite characters have had stories like that. But I still have some beef with Steve over how he treated the West Coast Avengers and basically told them after they'd endured tragedy and trauma that they basically were failures and didn't deserve to be Avengers (you know when youre on US Agent's side in an argument, the other guy must be WAY out of line) or about how crappy he was to Thunderstrike when he was still trying to get a handle on his powers and so on. There's just a lot of stories where Steve comes across as a pompous, self-righteous jerk with a massive superiority complex. I always liked Bucky and Sam more.

In fairness, some writers like Brubaker wrote a very likable version of Steve. I remember liking him in the EMH cartoon and in the Ultimate Avengers animated movies (it was based on the Ultimates, but the characters were less mean and edgy.)

So I'm not totally anti-Steve, but if it comes down to Steve vs Scott, I'm Team Cyclops allllll the way.
    I'm Team Steve + Scott. The stuff you're describing just doesn't sound like Steve to me.

It's the same with when writers mis-characterize Scott or write him like has to be the bad guy even though he shouldn't be.

BANNED

I'm Team Steve + Scott. The stuff you're describing just doesn't sound like Steve to me.

It's the same with when writers mis-characterize Scott or write him like has to be the bad guy even though he shouldn't be.
    I agree that writers have mischaracterized Scott as a villain, but generally it's just othet characters saying that about him, as opposed to anything he actually does on the page. It makes the characters saying it look bad more than it makes Scott look bad.

With Steve, I've seen him treat characters I love like garbage a lot of times now, so it's colored my perception of him. Even when some of the Avengers killed the Kree Supreme Intelligence, he acted as if they were horrible people for doing something he's done himself. He just very often comes across as a holier-than-thou dick to me. He was horrible to Eric Masterson on numerous occasions.

I agree that writers have mischaracterized Scott as a villain, but generally it's just othet characters saying that about him, as opposed to anything he actually does on the page. It makes the characters saying it look bad more than it makes Scott look bad.

With Steve, I've seen him treat characters I love like garbage a lot of times now, so it's colored my perception of him. Even when some of the Avengers killed the Kree Supreme Intelligence, he acted as if they were horrible people for doing something he's done himself. He just very often comes across as a holier-than-thou dick to me. He was horrible to Eric Masterson on numerous occasions.
    I've read enough comics where Scott was depicted a bit too excessively as a dick and an unfeeling robot to other characters to get the same impression. Writers have a bad habit of writing characters badly to prop up characters or situations.

But I also saw where Steve was coming from when it came to the Supreme Intelligence so I'm probably biased.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I've read enough comics where Scott was depicted a bit too excessively as a dick and an unfeeling robot to other characters to get the same impression. Writers have a bad habit of writing characters badly to prop up characters or situations.

But I also saw where Steve was coming from when it came to the Supreme Intelligence so I'm probably biased.
    Pretty much any time Steve is portrayed as a total ******* is extremally out of character.

Like during John Ridley's Black Panther run where he's portrayed as a hyper-aggressive ******* looking to punch BP in the face. Just awful characterization there.

I agree! I think both of them are more alike than people think. Despite my mixed feelings on Duggan, the few scenes he wrote of them interacting with one another were well done and made me want more. Hope they team up in the future.