Page 21 of 84 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    The X-Men movies never had the same impact on general audiences like Raimi's Spider-Man and Nolan's Batman did. If they can give Marsden good material this time I'm sure he'd be able to pull it off but I want a new cast for the post secret wars reboot
    I think as an overall franchise and individual movies, they weren't as impactful, but in terms of Wolverine they certainly left an impression. And to a lesser extent, Xavier and Magneto. For many people, Patrick Stewart is Professor X. It doesn't help that so much X-Men media modeled Xavier after Patrick Stewart as well.

The weak link is in the other X-Men's portrayals especially since characters like Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Gambit, etc. are still seen as their 90s show counterparts.

Spectacular Member

And no, don't bring James Marsden back, he supported a pedo and is too old and short to play Scott anyway. The X-Men movies are terrible so bringing back any of the actors from those movies other than Wolverine is pointless.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    This! I don't know how anyone could read Utopia Cyclops and think that he's a tyrant, much less become a Wolverine fan lmao, like he was easily the most sympathetic character in that period, all the characters who opposed him were written as hypocritical assholes, especially Wolverine who was not only ridiculously stupid (as in single digit iq stupid) but also a race traitor who almost doomed mutantkind because his first instinct was to kill the 17 yo teenager like a good little psychopath would do instead of connecting some brain cells and trying to help his race for once.

Also, this has nothing to do with the conversation but I hate how they made Scott and Wolverine "friends", Logan is a disgusting creep who's tried to steal his wife for years, betrayed him, tried to destroy Utopia, tried to kill Hope, talked **** about him to everyone and made sure to ruin Scott's reputation and antagonize him for years, how on earth are they friends? why would Scott want to be friends with such a shitty dude, let alone share his wife with him (!!!!), I know that Scott is a way better person than Logan could ever be but still, it feels like just because that ugly manlet is popular no one ever holds him accountable for his actions, realistically Scott shouldn't want anything to do with him, I'm glad they're on separate teams in the new era because I really can't stand Wolverine, such a shitty person always being excused for his actions for no reason.

I know that it won't happen but I'd like Jed to acknowledge how awful everyone has been to Scott, and by that I mean everyone: Storm, Bobby, Hank, Alex, Kitty, Rachel, Hope, Rogue, Tempus, etc. Most of Scott's "friends" are all terrible, they all "support" him when he's popular but the moment he's struggling they turn their backs on him and demonize him, he needs new friends, the only actual friends he has right now are Magik and Kamala imo, all the rest are just hypocrites who would betray him again with no hesitation the moment he does something they arbitrarely decide is bad, although they have a free pass to do worse things than Scott ever did.
    Magik is Cyclop's best ally and friend. Nobody even comes close imo

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Everything they did to Xavier was such a joke back then. First with the revelation about Cassandra Nova, then Danger, then Vulcan and Deadly Genesis. It's like Marvel couldn't stop thinking of new ways to expose Xavier as such a monster and they had to keep topping themselves. Who asked for this?? I was grateful for the movies because they kept the core Xavier intact. Yes, he's always been somewhat prone to manipulations and secrecy in the comics but he was never as vile as they forced him to be in the dark age. That being said, I always get a laugh from his extreme reaction to Scott here.
    Xavier is a Saturday morning cartoon villain now.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Magik is Cyclop's best ally and friend. Nobody even comes close imo
    Exactly, and other than Kamala and the rest of the champions (who are teenagers), she's his only friend imo, after the way they all treated him I don't consider Storm, Kitty, Bobby, etc to be Scott's friends.

And no, don't bring James Marsden back, he supported a pedo and is too old and short to play Scott anyway. The X-Men movies are terrible so bringing back any of the actors from those movies other than Wolverine is pointless.
    When you say he supported Bryan Singer, did he do that after the allegations? It's funny that they picked the shortest actors they could find for Cyclops and Storm. Meanwhile Wolverine and Jean who are supposed to be the shortest got the tallest actors.

I think as an overall franchise and individual movies, they weren't as impactful, but in terms of Wolverine they certainly left an impression. And to a lesser extent, Xavier and Magneto. For many people, Patrick Stewart is Professor X. It doesn't help that so much X-Men media modeled Xavier after Patrick Stewart as well.

The weak link is in the other X-Men's portrayals especially since characters like Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Gambit, etc. are still seen as their 90s show counterparts.
    MCU need a 90s Cyclops now with Cap out of the picture

Spectacular Member

When you say he supported Bryan Singer, did he do that after the allegations? It's funny that they picked the shortest actors they could find for Cyclops and Storm. Meanwhile Wolverine and Jean who are supposed to be the shortest got the tallest actors.

"He learned his lesson"

"He learned his lesson"
    Who is Brian Peck? Is this not Bryan Singer?

This! I don't know how anyone could read Utopia Cyclops and think that he's a tyrant, much less become a Wolverine fan lmao, like he was easily the most sympathetic character in that period, all the characters who opposed him were written as hypocritical assholes, especially Wolverine who was not only ridiculously stupid (as in single digit iq stupid) but also a race traitor who almost doomed mutantkind because his first instinct was to kill the 17 yo teenager like a good little psychopath would do instead of connecting some brain cells and trying to help his race for once.

Also, this has nothing to do with the conversation but I hate how they made Scott and Wolverine "friends", Logan is a disgusting creep who's tried to steal his wife for years, betrayed him, tried to destroy Utopia, tried to kill Hope, talked **** about him to everyone and made sure to ruin Scott's reputation and antagonize him for years, how on earth are they friends? why would Scott want to be friends with such a shitty dude, let alone share his wife with him (!!!!), I know that Scott is a way better person than Logan could ever be but still, it feels like just because that ugly manlet is popular no one ever holds him accountable for his actions, realistically Scott shouldn't want anything to do with him, I'm glad they're on separate teams in the new era because I really can't stand Wolverine, such a shitty person always being excused for his actions for no reason.

I know that it won't happen but I'd like Jed to acknowledge how awful everyone has been to Scott, and by that I mean everyone: Storm, Bobby, Hank, Alex, Kitty, Rachel, Hope, Rogue, Tempus, etc. Most of Scott's "friends" are all terrible, they all "support" him when he's popular but the moment he's struggling they turn their backs on him and demonize him, he needs new friends, the only actual friends he has right now are Magik and Kamala imo, all the rest are just hypocrites who would betray him again with no hesitation the moment he does something they arbitrarely decide is bad, although they have a free pass to do worse things than Scott ever did.
    I thought Wolverine was the most sympathetic but I can see that won't be a well-received sentiment here so I'll stop there. In his defense with Hope, Wolverine's first action against Dark Phoenix has always been to kill her. He saw with Jean that she begged him to kill her as Dark Phoenix but he couldn't. With Rachel, when Logan was convinced she was going down the same route, he knew he had to be the one to take her out so he could stay true to her mother. I've heard a lot of people talk about how it felt very symbolic of a paternal act here, a father saving his daughter from the worst fate imaginable. Then in Endsong, Logan had to kill Jean over and over again. I think it's important to remember that in Endsong, even Scott said from the start that they would need to kill Jean and he knew she'd be rooting for them to do it. So Plan A in cases of the Phoenix was always to kill first so I don't think Logan can be held accountable for that when Scott himself set that standard in Endsong. And like you said, Logan does change his mind with Hope when he realizes that maybe there is a better option after all.

Scott and Logan were friends before the 2000s (another reason I label this period the dark age). Their feud had more or less ended after the Proteus Saga when Scott won Logan's respect. Logan had more of a feud with Warren during Claremont's run than he ever did with Scott. Even in Morrison's run, which I think decimated the X-Men and was responsible for all the dreck that followed, Logan had enough respect for Scott and Jean's marriage that he refused her advances. A scene echoed in '97 now as well. They may not be close, personal friends (Logan always seemed closer to Alex than Scott) but they were work friends at least and respected each other for most of their histories.

I don't think many of those characters have wronged Scott, starting with Storm. Every fiber of her being was telling her to stand alongside Wolverine and his side in Schism but she only stayed behind because Scott begged her to keep him on the right track. She did that out of respect and consideration for him. I remember I was very upset and disgusted that Storm didn't join the real X-Men when her place was clearly with them rather than the cabal of villains. There's a line from X-Men: Worlds Apart where Storm reflects on Scott and how she was never really friends with him the way she was with Jean, Logan, Kurt, and Peter. So despite feeling that way about him, when they've never been really close outside of sharing Jean, I think it speaks volumes that she agreed to stay on his side to keep him grounded (albeit failing since Storm wasn't allowed to be anything more than wallpaper).
    As for Alex, I've posted before about how I think Scott has mistreated him over the years so as the older brother, I think it's really Scott's duty to reach out to him than the other way around. That's the promise he made to his parents before they jumped out the burning plane. As for Rachel, Scott is her father so the normal friendship duties don't apply here. Scott hurt Rachel a lot over the years so I would say the onus is on him to keep on good terms with her rather than the other way around. Rachel's relationship with him has never been very healthy or strong, especially in comparison to other X-Men like Kurt, Kitty, Betsy, Alex, Lorna, Ororo, Logan, and of course Jean.

Fantastic Member

I don't think they did him wrong either, but I think they didn't really try to reconcile with him. I'm not going to give Scott **** for his brother, his brother was a grown ass man by the time they met again. Scott had a whole team to worry about. Alex had his own hangups as well over Scott.

One thing I don't understand, every other single character gets the benefit of the doubt and the writers are to blame for said character change, but Scott is always the one who has to take the brunt of it.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I never really saw Scott and Logan as particularly friends, but Logan's bitterness was almost gone by 1980 and he definitely had a grudging respect towards Scott. He even started calling him by his nick name Slim. Logan respecting Jean and Scotts relationship happened way before Morrison. Logan and Jean were pretty much over with during the 90's. Logan did not attend the wedding due to what happened with Magneto, but he left them a letter of congratulations and admiration. Logan had come a long way, and it was refreshing. I can kind of see them as friends during that period. So he really took the highroad a second time rather than the first during Morrison only because it was brought back by Joe Casey in 'Uncanny' where Jean and Logan kiss. I hate that they brought back the triangle. It's just so worn out and annoying. I never believed in Logans love for Jean. To me it's just lust. And for Jean it was the excitement and that still wasn't enough to end her love for Scott. Also, I hate how Mariko was tossed aside for Jean. He was very much over her when he first met Mariko. He wasn't even shown to grieve over Jean. But Scott left the team because of her death. Albeit temporarily. Also, when Jean returned and that opening page where Logan kisses Jean after she wipes her mouth in disgust and tells wolverine she's basically no one's babe in not so many words after he tells Cyclops he has his own redhead Maddie already. Logan is not a charmer, lol. I don't hate Logan though, but I can't get behind his thing for Jean because it always seemed forced. I do prefer Scott/Jean, but that said I have been rethinking Scott and Jean (that doesn't mean I want her with Logan). But they do keep screwing up Scott and Jean so maybe it's best to let this ship sail if they want to keep up the triangle. They just can't stop screwing up Scott and Jean.

Here's the scene that brought it back. I remember at the time I wasn't the only one groaning at this when this first came out, and on these forums. Many fans did not want the triangle back but Scemma pretty much ruined Scott and Jean later. I blame the writers.

Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-20-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Who is Brian Peck? Is this not Bryan Singer?
    It's not Bryan Singer. Brian Peck is part of the recent allegations against people involved in Nickelodeon productions featuring child actors.
    https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...rt-many-times/
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Everything they did to Xavier was such a joke back then. First with the revelation about Cassandra Nova, then Danger, then Vulcan and Deadly Genesis. It's like Marvel couldn't stop thinking of new ways to expose Xavier as such a monster and they had to keep topping themselves. Who asked for this?? I was grateful for the movies because they kept the core Xavier intact. Yes, he's always been somewhat prone to manipulations and secrecy in the comics but he was never as vile as they forced him to be in the dark age. That being said, I always get a laugh from his extreme reaction to Scott here.
    Yeah, that shocked me when I first read. And all the bold lettering and exclamation points. Even Claremont wasn't perfect.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I never really saw Scott and Logan as particularly friends, but Logan's bitterness was almost gone by 1980 and he definitely had a grudging respect towards Scott. He even started calling him by his nick name Slim. Logan respecting Jean and Scotts relationship happened way before Morrison. Logan and Jean were pretty much over with during the 90's. Logan did not attend the wedding due to what happened with Magneto, but he left them a letter of congratulations and admiration. Logan had come a long way, and it was refreshing. I can kind of see them as friends during that period. So he really took the highroad a second time rather than the first during Morrison only because it was brought back by Joe Casey in 'Uncanny' where Jean and Logan kiss. I hate that they brought back the triangle. It's just so worn out and annoying. I never believed in Logans love for Jean. To me it's just lust. And for Jean it was the excitement and that still wasn't enough to end her love for Scott. Also, I hate how Mariko was tossed aside for Jean. He was very much over her when he first met Mariko. He wasn't even shown to grieve over Jean. But Scott left the team because of her death. Albeit temporarily. Also, when Jean returned and that opening page where Logan kisses Jean after she wipes her mouth in disgust and tells wolverine she's basically no one's babe in not so many words after he tells Cyclops he has his own redhead Maddie already. Logan is not a charmer, lol. I don't hate Logan though, but I can't get behind his thing for Jean because it always seemed forced. I do prefer Scott/Jean, but that said I have been rethinking Scott and Jean (that doesn't mean I want her with Logan). But they do keep screwing up Scott and Jean so maybe it's best to let this ship sail if they want to keep up the triangle. They just can't stop screwing up Scott and Jean.

Here's the scene that brought it back. I remember at the time I wasn't the only one groaning at this when this first came out, and on these forums. Many fans did not want the triangle back but Scemma pretty much ruined Scott and Jean later. I blame the writers.

Yes. You nailed how I feel about Logan and that ship too. Was always weird and was started because of petty ness