Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Hickman and pals didn't care about years of development that characters went through. They created a sandbox so they could tell their own stories that's why Cyclops felt so much out of character in this entire clusterfuck of an era. Bro just rightfully killed Charles and now he's calling him sir and believes in his dream? Lol. The same thing happened to spider-man in 2007, writers retconned his marriage and ignored decades of character development to revert Peter back to his 60s days.

Quote Originally Posted by Indifferent fanatic77 View Post
    How can you say Emma works with one version of Scott? That's more evident with jean. They (the krakoa writers) reverted Cyclops so that he could be with jean. Scott had rejected Xavier due to his past manipulations and yet he is fine working under him, he had fought Sinister and Apocalpse many times and yet they are his allies, he believed in what he was doing during Utopia/Schism/AvX/IvX and yet he said that he was wrong after all of it, he fought with wolverine many times and was called "Magneto 2.0" by wolverine and his acolytes (storm included) and now he's cool with them. If Emma only works with one version, why was he reverted to the boy scout and reunited with jean?

Emma wasn't paired with him because she was a questionable moral compass. He was going through a shift from a loyal follower to a leader of his own; at the same time, Emma was going through her shift from villain to hero who earned the title of being an X-man. Their changes mirrored each other's so it was easy for them to resonate with each other. Scott accepted Emma for who she was and stood up for her when she was seen as an outcast by the other x-men (mainly Kitty from what I remember). At the same time, Emma supported Scott's transition into his role as a leader and was one of his main trusted advisors. I get annoyed at people who misconstrue the EmmaxScott relationship as Scott and his yes-man. There were times when they disagreed, and there was a time when Emma was considering joining Wolverine's faction during the schism. Scott wasn't the main character getting a hot girlfriend (Emma), Emma and Scott went through actual character growth. Say what you want about Joss Whedon, but nobody has written a more convincing X-Men relationship than him. Scott and Emma weren't based on some "destined to be together" bullsh*t, those were two people with their own traumas coming together, accepting one another, healing together and building each other up. Not to be who they were expected to be but to who they wanted to be.

You say that we should look at his history and that it would show he wouldn't be with her, but you're looking at a part of his history, not all of it. You're looking at who he was when he was with jean and ignoring everything after.
    I said what i said and I stand by it. We definiteyl disagree on all of this. Apocalypse nad Sinister are not hsi allies. He has not worked with them at all this era and has openly defied Sinister. He's worked with people that worked with them but he has not partnered with either at all personally.

No Im looking at all of his history. Of course time wtih jean should be factored bc he was with her for most of his history. Before getting iwth Emma, Scott was only single after Jean's first death. Scott and Emma never would have worked prior to Morrison's run. The team's first interaction with her was played a part in driving Jean crazy which ultimately led to Jean's death and Scott's depression and grief. He was disgusted by Emma and the HFC for that. Do you honestly think he would have worked with her then leading up to his marriage to Madelyne? I think not. Definitely not when he and Jean reunited in X-Factor and got married in X-men. That Scott was not a cheater and wouldnt have thought twice about

"When he got what he needed, he discarded her and hasnt looked back."

That is not true and you know it. Cyclops hasn't done anything like that and he is not that kind of person.

I'll admit I d*ckride Cyclops a lot and I'm a huge Frosty-Summers fan so I tried to be respectful as possible.
    But thats exactly what happened. He ended their relationship when he choked her out after finding out about her and Namor. He was done with her ad that point as she no longer was a viable partner for him. When they reunited in Bendis run, it was strictly ina professional capacity. Emma carried a torch for him but did not want her like that anymore. Bendis tackled that

He never forgave her for Namor. Even as she is being vulnerable adn trying to start over, all he could focus on was her lying to him again. He did blame her and discard her as a romantic interest. He spent that run distant and cold to her and would only accept her as a work colleague

She even called him out on how brutal he was to her as she cried in her diamond form. He had no compassion or empathy for her despite her expressing how hurt he was making her feel. Nah, it was all business and he had no use for her feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Hickman and pals didn't care about years of development that characters went through. They created a sandbox so they could tell their own stories that's why Cyclops felt so much out of character in this entire clusterfuck of an era. Bro just rightfully killed Charles and now he's calling him sir and believes in his dream? Lol. The same thing happened to spider-man in 2007, writers retconned his marriage and ignored decades of character development to revert Peter back to his 60s days.
    He did not rightfully kill Charles. That was a mistake that Scott would never have done had he been in his right mind

Charles had been manipulating and abusing him since he was a mere child though. Dude deserved it.

I felt like Marvel hated Cyclops being a great character that leads the mutant race through their darkest days, having a relationship with someone who loves him and doesn't involve any kind of love triangle. That's why they hired guys such as Bendis and Aaorn to take all that away him and make him miserable. He was one of their most prominent characters and they just tried to waste him.
    Last edited by Darth_Caedus; 04-22-2024 at 11:17 AM.

First off, anything done under Flaming Cosmic Turkey possession isn't what we could expect of the characters under any other circumstances. Using any of that as proof of who they are or what their true motivations are is disingenuous at best and gaslighting at worst. Especially when it is Flaming Cosmic Turkey possession coupled with one of the most ham-handed and OOC events Marvel has produced in their entire history.

And to be honest, I'm also pretty sure Scott at the point of his conversation with Emma was at rock bottom, ready to go down and wanting everyone else as far away from him as possible so that they didn't go with him. There is some truth in what he is saying, but he is deliberately trying to wound for what he thinks is a benefit for Emma. I think it might be more selfish, but he isn't in a place where he can see that in the moment.
    Dark does not mean deep.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indifferent fanatic77 View Post
    How can you say Emma works with one version of Scott? That's more evident with jean. They (the krakoa writers) reverted Cyclops so that he could be with jean. Scott had rejected Xavier due to his past manipulations and yet he is fine working under him, he had fought Sinister and Apocalypse many times and yet they are his allies,
    I'm a Jott fan, but understand why people like the Scott/Emma pairing, which as you note benefited from Josh Whedon writing the relationship as functional, supportive, and intimate. I'm not sure any writers have chosen to tell Scott and Jean stories that way since Simonson's X-Factor, or Lobdell's Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix decades ago. But, to your larger point if Scott Summers can fall in love/maintain a relationship with Emma Frost, who contributed to Jean becoming Dark Phoenix and dying, and also attacked the X-Men on numerous occasions, why is it unbelievable/unacceptable that he would accept a political alliance with Sinister and Apocalypse in Krakoa? I'm not sure how one is in character and one is absolutely out of character (to me the relationship and Krakoa is out of character)

Quote Originally Posted by dr237 View Post
    I'm a Jott fan, but understand why people like the Scott/Emma pairing, which as you note benefited from Josh Whedon writing the relationship as functional, supportive, and intimate. I'm not sure any writers have chosen to tell Scott and Jean stories that way since Simonson's X-Factor, or Lobdell's Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix decades ago. But, to your larger point if Scott Summers can fall in love/maintain a relationship with Emma Frost, who contributed to Jean becoming Dark Phoenix and dying, and also attacked the X-Men on numerous occasions, why is it unbelievable/unacceptable that he would accept a political alliance with Sinister and Apocalypse in Krakoa? I'm not sure how one is in character and one is absolutely out of character (to me the relationship and Krakoa is out of character)
    Please remember that Emma frost had a series in the 90s called Generation X that was used to increase her heroic influence to a more anti heroine stance. The decade of being an Xman did the rest.

Wat have Sinister and Apoc gotten in that time frame? NOTHING. Apoc did get a mini for a more anti-villain base and if someone wnated to be generous, the Apoc mini from the lame Xman AU.

They are not comparable.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Kinda funny that Scott's most healthy "breakup" was with Sinister - after events of AvX Essex had the last word, but also motivated Cyclops to not give up and continue to fight. After that they are no longer obsessed with each other, instead rather cynic.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Please remember that Emma frost had a series in the 90s called Generation X that was used to increase her heroic influence to a more anti heroine stance. The decade of being an Xman did the rest.

Wat have Sinister and Apoc gotten in that time frame? NOTHING. Apoc did get a mini for a more anti-villain base and if someone wnated to be generous, the Apoc mini from the lame Xman AU.

They are not comparable.
    In fairness Sinister and Apocalypse got a great heap of popularity and positive reception during their roles in Krakoa.

Apoc gaining new noble and anti-villain traits made for some of the best parts in stories like X of Swords, while Sinister's new narcissistic camp personality made him a consistently entertaining antagonist as he fit into the role of "tenuous alliance evil guy that absolutely no one trusts and are looking for an excuse to gut" in stories like Hellions and Sins of Sinister.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr237 View Post
    Because Apocalypse is the evil genocidal ******* with a braindead philosophy who infected his son with a virus and forced Scott to send him to a shitty future to save his life, possessed his body after trying to posses the body of his son from a different universe and used it as a weapon against his friends, leaving him extremely traumatized which ended up ruining his marriage, he's also done many other horrible things to friends of his. There's no way Scott would ever accept a government with Apocalypse in it, no fucking way.

As for Sinister, this one might be even worse, he's a nazi who tortured and experimented on him when he was a child, killed the only family who liked him when they were about to adopt him, made other kids commit suicide in front of him, etc.

Everything from the Krakoa era is so stupid, they could easily kill Apocalypse and if the excuse is that they needed his power to be a stronger nation (because we know that the guy is a moron that without his powers and Celestial tech carrying him wouldn't have accomplished anything) then they could just make clones of him and have a telepath control him like a puppet, they should have done this with all the villains. We know this is possible because Bishop and Cyclops proposed it during a captain meeting.

Last edited by NearlyEnough; 04-22-2024 at 01:10 PM.

Spectacular Member

As for Scott and Emma breaking up, it was bad writing, Emma wouldn't have cheated on Scott even with the Phoenix's possession going on, it's clear that they just wanted to break them up because of nostalgia or some dumb reason.

Also, Scott should have the same energy with Jean, and tell her something like "I wouldn't touch you with Wolverine's claws" because how is it that he doesn't mind being a pathetic cuck during the Krakoa era? again, bad writing. Scott should be disgusted by Jean's relationship with Logan and give her an ultimatum either get over him or they're done.

Krakoa should've been nuked

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    As for Scott and Emma breaking up, it was bad writing, Emma wouldn't have cheated on Scott even with the Phoenix's possession going on, it's clear that they just wanted to break them up because of nostalgia or some dumb reason.

Also, Scott should have the same energy with Jean, and tell her something like "I wouldn't touch you with Wolverine's claws" because how is it that he doesn't mind being a pathetic cuck during the Krakoa era? again, bad writing. Scott should be disgusted by Jean's relationship with Logan and give her an ultimatum either get over him or they're done.
    Bro the whole open relationship thing was dropped, JDW stated that they have no intention to visit it ever again. Jott was really great in this era, that was the only saving grace for me

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Bro the whole open relationship thing was dropped, JDW stated that they have no intention to visit it ever again. Jott was really great in this era, that was the only saving grace for me
    It wasn't though, even in the last gala we had what could have been a nice moment between Scott and Jean completely ruined by the forced inclusion of a certain ugly bum.

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    It wasn't though, even in the last gala we had what could have been a nice moment between Scott and Jean completely ruined by the forced inclusion of a certain ugly bum.
    It never sounded romantic to me, I thought it was included so that Simonson could expand upon it in her mini. Jean literally died alongside Scott, and only appeared as voice ghost to Logan to free him from Xavier's control