Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    You're hearing this from me because I'm becoming more pessimistic day by day.

Tbh, silver and bronze ages of comics are pretty boring to read nowadays. Modern age of comics is when they really start to feel important.

Batman has nothing in common with Wolverine outside of being an animal themed superhero. Hal Jordan is more like Logan than anyone else. Scott always has a plan b for a plan b. That's a Batman thing and Leonardo is the most boring of all the TMNT.
    Leonardo isn't the most boring ninja turtle and actually killed shredder by himself. Unless you mean the cartoon which was.... Whatever. Og Leo is dope as hell

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Wow, I did not expect to hear this from you. Didn't you say you love classic Scott but now you're repudiating him? Don't tell me you drank the koolaid? I've never felt he was badly written before. I thought he was definitely badly written with Morrison, Whedon, Fraction, etc.

I don't know how anyone could read 40 years of X-Men publication and think Scott was only there and had no presence or personality. That's just so absurd to me. You don't get popularity from just being there for 40 years. Ask Lorna fans, they know. If you had kids playing Wolverine on the playground in the 90s, there were always kids playing Cyclops as well. That doesn't come from being a colorless character. He very much had a personality and yeah, it's not to everyone's taste, but Wolverine isn't to everyone's taste either.

I don't get the competitive rivalry with Wolverine that seems to come up but characters like Luke Skywalker and Steve Rogers have always been popular for being the traditional, boy scout heroes. Yes, Han Solo and Tony Stark were more popular because they're wild and they break the rules but they can only exist because of the Lukes and Steves. And their popularity did not mean that Luke and Steve were lesser or not popular themselves. However, I have noticed in the Luke fandom what I've seeing with Scott now which is that there was a lot of resentment from Luke fans towards Han Solo and how the general public preferred Han. Which once more, doesn't mean Luke wasn't liked or not the main hero, but the public has always gone for the slightly more exciting character.

To say Scott had no personality under Claremont or Simonson is crazy to me. Even in the O5 days, Scott was considered the best written of the original team and the one with the most emotional resonance with readers. Fans didn't ship Jean with Warren just because he was rich and attractive. They picked Scott because he's the one they felt for and rooted for, much like Peter Parker who also always carried his neverending angst with him. That is part of the charm of these characters and why audiences always root for underdogs. If Scott is the underdog to Wolverine, that is in his favor.

Discount Leonardo and Mutant Batman are both two terms that I would never associate with Scott. I have never seen anyone say Scott is like Batman. There are comparisons to Wolverine, Tony Stark, and even Angel, but not Scott. And I don't get the discount Leonardo even more since Leo became famous in the late 90s, especially with female fans. There was Leo mania which was a very real thing. Scott was around for decades before that and even if he was somehow like Leo, that would only be a point in his favor. There's really no connection there for me so I hope you can explain what you mean by that.
    I feel like a lot of resentment comes from Wolverine's portrayal in comics and adaptations usually tearing down Scott to prop him up. It started with Claremont and has only gotten worse. Not Wolverine's fault of course, I like the character, but his writers tend to take the rivalry to extremes at times. Obviously the consequence is that fans resent Wolverine. It goes in the other direction as well with resentment towards Cyclops. Two extremes cultivated by poor writing decisions in my opinion.

That being said, it feels like there isn't much appreciation going on in the appreciation thread.

So, here's a Cyclops theme from an older game. It's rather slow at first, but picks up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncQGuNqUis

Anyone have other favorites?
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

What are the chances of Scott banging psylocke in Mackay's run?

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    Leonardo isn't the most boring ninja turtle and actually killed shredder by himself. Unless you mean the cartoon which was.... Whatever. Og Leo is dope as hell
    Never liked the character

Leo is my favorite.

Never liked the character
    Well...to each their own.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Fantastic Member

I'd say 0 he's still married. And honestly Let 97 do the love stuff I just want to see what Scott is about in this era and what he's going to do.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Leo is my favorite.
    Yea .comics Leo has a lot in common with Scott, he has that self doubt and wants to do right by his dad, but is also training and on his A game, which is why he was the one to bring down shredder all alone. Leo is why I love Scott.

I'd say 0 he's still married. And honestly Let 97 do the love stuff I just want to see what Scott is about in this era and what he's going to do.
    Well I'm sure Jean would understand, her being halfway across the galaxy and all

I stand in the same camp. I can do without any relationship drama. It's where the writers seem to mess up the most with Cyclops.

Looking forward to seeing Cyke be the best strategist again. Hopefully....
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

I think that Marvels snapshot was the last Cyclops comic that I enjoyed.

You're hearing this from me because I'm becoming more pessimistic day by day.

Tbh, silver and bronze ages of comics are pretty boring to read nowadays. Modern age of comics is when they really start to feel important.

Batman has nothing in common with Wolverine outside of being an animal themed superhero. Hal Jordan is more like Logan than anyone else. Scott always has a plan b for a plan b. That's a Batman thing and Leonardo is the most boring of all the TMNT.
    I don't see why though, at least going by the attention he's getting with X-Men '97 and now the movies being primed to feature him. It seems like there's every reason to celebrate rather than feel so down. I have to admit your 180 on classic Scott and Jott makes me wonder how much you actually value those aspects of him which are a core part of his character and integrity. You're so ready to jump ship and go back to the Wrongclops period and fake blonde, that perhaps subconsciously you really prefer those. Is your love for Scott more based on who he is as a person or how he's viewed by others that you're willing to alter him to ensure he can't be spoken down to? Because if it's not the former, maybe you don't have a core faith in Scott as a character.
    As a Jean fan, I've seen so much hate directed towards her from all kinds but I've never let that influence how I view her. That if people hate her as the Phoenix, that means it's not a good aspect of her character or that if she's too powerful, she's not relatable so she should be scaled down. If you think Scott for some reason has it bad, I would highly recommend looking at the Lorna thread. That girl has never been given her due since the late 60s when she debuted. Her fans are constantly upset about how badly she's treated by Marvel and by people in general but they've never felt that they would compromise her character for quick success to ensure acceptance by the masses. They will always fight to ensure she's treated with the utmost respect and they won't budge from that even an inch to water her character down. I admire their passion and dedication that they've stood behind Lorna all this time and will continue to do so even if she'll probably never become an A-lister.

I find modern comics really boring and they have no stakes. You can die one day, come back the next. No emotional resonance or the depth especially with relaunches every year. I only buy the classics now, haven't bothered with modern comics in years. Out of my omnibus collection, pretty much everything I own is pre-90s. The one exception is Remender's UXF. Haven't picked up his UA yet. The more I read on this forum about how characters are being treated, whether Xavier, Hank, Kurt, Sean, Moira, etc. the more I'm convinced I'm right.

Oh lol, I thought you meant Leo as in Leonardo DiCaprio. I'm not familiar with TMNT so I have no knowledge about him.

I think that Marvels snapshot was the last Cyclops comic that I enjoyed.
    That's definitely a good one, and written by a big Cyclops fan as well.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I feel like a lot of resentment comes from Wolverine's portrayal in comics and adaptations usually tearing down Scott to prop him up. It started with Claremont and has only gotten worse. Not Wolverine's fault of course, I like the character, but his writers tend to take the rivalry to extremes at times. Obviously the consequence is that fans resent Wolverine. It goes in the other direction as well with resentment towards Cyclops. Two extremes cultivated by poor writing decisions in my opinion.

That being said, it feels like there isn't much appreciation going on in the appreciation thread.

So, here's a Cyclops theme from an older game. It's rather slow at first, but picks up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncQGuNqUis

Anyone have other favorites?
    I think that comes more from the modern comics than anything else, hence why I consider them the dark age. Wolverine being propped up to tear down Scott really started in that era of the 2000s. It wasn't a 90s thing or before that. There was very little rivalry past the Proteus Saga under Claremont. Claremont's been vocal about his views on Scott vs Logan in interviews and stuff but most of that never got translated to the comics after he left.

I don't follow the current comics so I don't know if the Scott/Logan rivalry is still a thing but based on the posts here, I'm assuming it is. Or at the very least, even the notion of one is still a sensitive issue.

I don't have a favorite theme with him, but in terms of video games, I thought MUA did the best job of giving him multiple optic blast variations to use depending on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I think that comes more from the modern comics than anything else, hence why I consider them the dark age. Wolverine being propped up to tear down Scott really started in that era of the 2000s. It wasn't a 90s thing or before that. There was very little rivalry past the Proteus Saga under Claremont. Claremont's been vocal about his views on Scott vs Logan in interviews and stuff but most of that never got translated to the comics after he left.

I don't follow the current comics so I don't know if the Scott/Logan rivalry is still a thing but based on the posts here, I'm assuming it is. Or at the very least, even the notion of one is still a sensitive issue.

I don't have a favorite theme with him, but in terms of video games, I thought MUA did the best job of giving him multiple optic blast variations to use depending on the situation.
    Most of it yeah, but the majority did seem to originate from Claremont. I still consider him one of Cyclops' best writers until the Maddie mess and X-factor. His Cyclops dropped in quality and he definitely undermined the character, and he is quite open about his dislike, as you mention. The love triangle is mainly where you see his interference, when brief. From classic X-Men to post Inferno/pre X-men blue's introduction with Jim Lee. Disappointing to see.

He was a dlc character in MUA, right?

Liked him in X-men Legends 2.

Here's another theme, if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T7zgTrk0tU
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 04-26-2024 at 03:07 AM.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

What are the chances of Scott banging psylocke in Mackay's run?
    Very low. The blurb for her solo states she is still with Greycrow.
    Dark does not mean deep.